A must read on 1549 crew and other items

Status
Not open for further replies.

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
USAPA Special Update, Flight 1549
January 18, 2009

CREW UPDATE: B Flight Attendant, Doreen Welsh, has been released from the hospital and all crew members have now departed from New York.

COMMUNICATIONS: A word about on-going communications concerning Flight 1549. To understand the role and limitations of USAPA communicating information on Flight 1549, we need to have a basic knowledge of how the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) works. The NTSB is solely an investigative agency, free from any other government agency thereby isolating it from as many outside influences as possible with the goal of preventing future accidents.

The NTSB has no regulatory power, they instead issue recommendations. Communications to the public therefore is a powerful tool that assists the NTSB in getting their recommendations accepted by the lawmakers, controlling government agencies or private corporations. They guard this tool wisely and veraciously, as their recommendations are always in the interest of safety.

USAPA was granted 'interested party' to the investigation and, as we reported to you, USAPA pilots are on five of the nine working groups. All interested parties must conform to the NTSB communications protocols or risk being removed from the investigation.

The basic restriction occurs when discussing any specifics to the accident - it must only come from information provided by the NTSB – no speculation permitted.

A second issue Communications would like to address is the way the press has emphasized the Captain of the flight, seemingly ignoring the crew. This has not gone un-noticed by any of us. It is apparent the press wanted a 'hero' and Captain Sullenberger was selected. It is ironic that Captain Sullenberger's prime concern throughout the entire event was the welfare of his crew as demonstrated by his remarks to President Bush and the entire crew's inclusion of and visit to Doreen Welsh, the hospitalized B Flight Attendant.

On speaking to the subject, Media Sub-Committee Chairman, Captain James Ray, stated that we all share the frustration about the press omitting, to a large degree, the efforts of First Officer Jeff Skiles and the three Flight Attendants. In talking to countless reporters over the last several days Captain Ray attempted t o stress the point and educate them on the matter of crew concept. For whatever reason, they generally chose not to mention this in many of their reports. Unlike previous media events and due to the sensitivity of NTSB communications, up to this point Captain Ray has generally stayed off-camera and the press has run off with the 'hero' concept, rather than the 'crew' concept. Captain Ray believes we will have opportunities to educate the public on this issue in the near future. All of that said, we want to re-emphasize the phenomenal experience of the remainder of this crew which, without a doubt, contributed to the successful outcome of this event:
First Officer Jeffrey B. Skiles, joined US Airways (USAir) in 1986. He has a total of 15,643 flight hours and previously flew as Captain with US Airways.
Flight Attendant Sheila Dail joined US Airways (Piedmont Airlines) in 1980 and has more than 28 years experience with the airline.
Flight Attendant Doreen Welsh joined US Airways (Allegheny Airlines) in 1970 and has more than 38 years experience with the airline..
Flight Attendant Donna Dent joined US Airways (Piedmont Airlines) in 1982 and has more than 26 years experience with the airline.

NTSB PRESS CONFERENCES: The following are highlights of the two NTSB press Conferences held on Saturday.

1600 press conference:
Since there was little to report, the NTSB decided to hold another press conference at 8:00pm.
Onboard was one lap child and one toddler.
Since the weight of the airplane full of water was approximately 1 million pounds, it needed to be lifted very gradually to let water drain from the aircraft.
Water depth at impact was 50-55 feet.
A correction to prior information, the right engine is still attached; still looking for the left engine.
ATC communications were read out loud: of particular interest to us was the crew stating, "Cactus 1549 hit birds - lost thrust both engines – turning back to LGA"
TEB airport was discussed, pilots stated, "...we can't do it..."
Two Flight Attendants were interviewed. They reported hearing loud thuds/thumps and all engine noise ceased, aircraft sounded, "...like a library..."
Captain announced, "brace for impact;" F/A's yelled, "Brace, Brace, Brace"
Left front slide needed manual inflation.
Front door, 2'-3' above water line.
Captain returned to aircraft twice to check for passengers. Captain and crew members were the last to leave.

2000 press conference:
NYPD has good radar 'hit' on the lost engine. NOAA boat is en-route
3rd F/A has been released from hospital. Her account - "loud thunk, smelled electrical smell". Harder landing description than other F/A's described (AFT B flight attendant position). No broken leg, deep lacerations.
This was the last leg of a 4-day trip. They had flown PIT-CLT-LGA & were on their way to CLT
Captain, 3800 hrs in A-320
First Officer, 35 hours in an A-320
First Officer was initial PF
First Officer stated he saw birds 3-5000' off to his right
Captain looked up & said the windscreen was filled w/big dark brown birds. Said his reaction was to duck
Captain smelled burning birds
Loss of thrust, Captain, 'my aircraft'. First Officer, 'your aircraft'. Captain lowered nose because speed had decreased
Captain said power loss was symmetrical
Captain took over as PF & called for the Dual Engine failure check list
Captain said initial plan was to return to LGA. He said he was too slow & too low, it was too populated. Teterboro was too far, populated and would be catastrophic if he didn't make it. As stated in earlier brief, he stated, "going to be in the Hudson".
Captain focused on flying
First Officer focused on checklist & starting engines
This checklist is meant to run at FL350
Captain called for flaps 2
Captain made the 'brace' call over the P/A
Captain said he had been trained to ditch near a vessel if able, so he tried to land close to a boat
The aircraft lost electrical once in the water
Captain called for Evacuation, F/A's had already initiated it
Captain stated that, "he could not be more happy that he got everyone off".
Question session:
First Officer saw the birds, noted to himself that they were in a nice line
Ditching P/B was not pushed. It is on page 3 of the checklist; they didn't get to it
First Officer, while low time in AB, but typ ed in other aircraft, glass cockpit, has been a Captain before, IOE was completed.
Captain estimated the aircraft hit the birds between 220 & 250kts
How did F/A get lacerations? Don't know. Water was cold; she didn't know she was hurt initially. After she sent passengers up the isle, she realized she was bleeding & got herself out and into the raft
Is CVR powered after crash? Powered until power goes out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

relax. no need to get excited. mods if you think this belongs in the union boards then move it . upnaway, i was just trying to share some info with everyone so chill out.

I think the problem is that part of it is general information and part is merely using 1549 as a negotiating tactic (which is somewhat sad in itself).

Jim

I think the problem is that part of it is general information and part is merely using 1549 as a negotiating tactic (which is somewhat sad in itself).

Jim
Yea right, kind of like the way airline managements used 9/11 against all of us. Now that was sad, I can't believe you would make such a stupid statement.

etops, thanks for sharing the article!

Someone needs to desperately educate the public and make them understand that ALL of the crew members had a large role in ensuring that passengers survived! The f/o and f/as aren't getting any recognition and that makes me feel bad because they were all doing their jobs and a dam good job I might add and they deserve to be recognized too! They are all heroes!

Not trying to turn this into a labor issue but I do have a comment about this: As far as a pay raise goes, I doubt we'll be seeing any large increases in pay. The bean counters don't care about us that much. It will be years before we see a new contract anyway.

Yea right, kind of like the way airline managements used 9/11 against all of us. Now that was sad, I can't believe you would make such a stupid statement.
whoa luv. slow your roll on boeingboy. he is a very well respected posteron here and retired usairways captain. "stupid" is a little strong. misguided ...maybe.

You can't believe BB would say that? I can! He says a lot of things on this forum that are such statements.

Cordially UU

whoa luv. slow your roll on boeingboy. he is a very well respected posteron here and retired usairways captain. "stupid" is a little strong. misguided ...maybe.

Semantics are beautiful, are they not? Or is that singular, like semantic, like in "antic"? :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.