Flight 801 GIG CLT on 02/10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

whathehack

Sep 21, 2009
The original flight 801 closed doors at 1944 on 02/10/10 (11 minutes ahead schedule) and returned to the gate at 2119 due to a problem with cabin temperature.

The flight was cancelled and was rescheduled with another number (9015) to leave GIG at 1130 on 02/11/10 and arrive CLT at 2135 same day.

The Company used the same aircraft tail number 248 and it closed at 1324 (almost 2 hours late) and returned to the gate at 1426.

After the second incident US Airways rescheduled flight 9016 to leave today at 1200 using aircraft tail number 255.

All times are EST and right now GIG is 3 hours ahead.

For those who can read Portuguese here is the link on O Globo newspaper.

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/mat/2010/02/12...a-915850748.asp

And yes, the press in Brazil is taking this incident very seriously.

And yes, the press in Brazil is taking this incident very seriously.

What indication is there that the press is taking this "very" seriously. The web story you posted sounded pretty matter-of-fact to me. Just reporting the incident.

And, the point should be whether or not the Brazilian aviation authorities are taking this "very" seriously, don't you think? Who really cares what the press takes seriously? Aren't they more about sensationalism than anything else? Get a juicy story (or a boring story and embellish to make it juicy) so they can sell more advertising.

U.S. Airways passengers trying to travel to the U.S. since Wednesday
12/02 at 08h14 Marcelo Dias, Extra and the G1

RIO - A confusion in the Tom Jobim International Airport involves since Wednesday evening one of the airline U.S. Airways, from Rio to Charlotte, USA. According to passengers, the plane would leave at 23h on Wednesday. After three-hour delay, the aircraft took off, but returned 20 minutes later by mechanical problems. A new trip has been scheduled for Thursday at 13:30, on a plane coming from the U.S.. However, the group embarked on the same apparatus and returned to the airport shortly after takeoff.

- We face a damned confusion at check-in and embarcaríamos on another plane from the U.S.. But put the same problems that presented yesterday. We said we would not accept, and the commander told us that everything was fine. We boarded, and he was right: we get back here. It looked like movie scene. We land with fire trucks and ambulances on the runway. We are now with police here and no representative of U.S. Airways - to the student Bernardo Gomes, one of the passengers waiting to travel.

A spokesperson for U.S. Airways said that there was a problem with the temperature of the cabin of an aircraft in flight Wednesday. Therefore, the aircraft had to return to the airport.

Although the company said on Thursday the passengers boarded the same aircraft again, but the temperature of the cabin again presented problems and the aircraft returned again.

U.S. Airways said it is working to resolve the problem as soon as possible, but has not yet been set for the new shipment.

What indication is there that the press is taking this "very" seriously. The web story you posted sounded pretty matter-of-fact to me. Just reporting the incident.

I'm not in Brazil, so I haven't seen the reporting first hand, but as I reported earlier, my brother is there for Carnaval and only was alerted to this issue because -- according to him -- the local press is covering this like a hounddog. He wrote that everytime he passes a TV where the news is on, he keeps seeing a US 767 aircraft! This has now gone on for two days. I don't know if someone at US annoyed the local press or if the local press wants US carriers to fail or if they rally behind domestic carriers or what. I have no clue, but through the eyes of a person I trust very much (my brother), he would concur that the local media there really seems to be spending a lot of time focused on US this week.

And, the point should be whether or not the Brazilian aviation authorities are taking this "very" seriously, don't you think? Who really cares what the press takes seriously? Aren't they more about sensationalism than anything else? Get a juicy story (or a boring story and embellish to make it juicy) so they can sell more advertising.

This incident is being reported on all newspaper in Rio as well on Globo TV, here is the video

http://g1.globo.com/Noticias/Rio/0,,MUL148...ARA+O+GALE.html

As to the fact that the press is taking this incident very seriously I agree with with, it's not what we have to be worry about but, because US Airways is new to the Brazilian aviation authorities and if other problems occur in the future, which is very likely, since the Company is using an old 767 that have already had other issues like first class seats that did not returned to the upright position for landing, the media and the angry passengers that are already complaining (just read the coments on the original link) can make the authorities aware of the situation and who knows what they can do.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
The press coverage may not have any effect with the regulatory agencies, but it could affect public perception of US' service so have a financial effect if it depresses future bookings.

Jim

This could actually end up helping US more than hurting us. Getting the name US Airways on every news channel and newspaper, photos of the plane etc....would have cost a fortune in advertizing dollars. Many studies have concluded this helps with name recognition...the fact it is a somewhat negative story may not be that much of a factor. I wonder how many Brazilians are now aware US flies to GIG that didn't know that before?

The people who have common sense should understand airplanes are machines, just like cars and will breakdown, its a fact of life and for the media and certain individuals to sensationalize it is petty.

I wonder how many Brazilians are now aware US flies to GIG that didn't know that before?

True, and then they get out a map and see that Charlotte is nowhere near their actual destination of Miami or New York.

As a paying passenger I don't want to hear bullcrap stories. Get a new G'damn airplane down here and get the show on the road. This airline is the most hokie pokie company out there. Ya see what happens when you send Chitty Chitty Bang Bang down there on her last breathe? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts