Flying across America - Your tips...

Filip Wolak

Sep 12, 2006
NYC
www.theflyboy.com
Fellow Pilots!

This dream vacation is about to materialize. Together with a friend of mine - lucky owner of a 200HP non-turbo Piper Arrow - we plan getting around the continental US within 10 days and 10 nights. Sounds more like a race - yes - and it's supposed to be more of a challenge than a sightseeing trip. Plus, this is the only time that we have available before winter shows up here in the North-East and in the rest of the country.

Sometime mid-October is the plan so far. Although I already made several Florida trips in a 152, but I've never made it further west than Chicago. I can only imagine the challenges of the western part of the continent being by far more greater than what I have currently dealt with. Only imagine.

We would like to hear your advice, opinion, tips, recommendations; anything that would help us make it there and back in one piece, with great memories. Have you flown routes you could recommend? Mountain flying and weather advice? Any places worth seeing (or rather flying-over)? Ways of camping or cheap motels within walking (or courtesy car) distance from the airfield? Any input counts!

I will be posting more questions as the plan takes more shape - currently looking at the sectional charts of western US - so this actually may grow (and I hope it will) into an interesting topic.

Or, have you seen similar posts already on-line?

Looking forward to hear from you!

PS. We can go IFR. The only de-ice is a heated pitot tube and a broom to clean up ice off the wings. Not a good idea.

PS2. Anyone heard of a G395 or other in-flight WX unit 'for rent'? It would help us tremendously.

Thank you!