Which Option Would You Rather Have?

PHX PHLyer

Advanced
Nov 22, 2006
This is a legitimate question. Tell me what you would rather do.

I got a call from my sister in Chicago about her travel planes (she usually calls me about travel stuff...like when to buy tickets...what airlines/planes/airports are good/bad etc.). Anyway, she is there on business and was supposed to fly to Dulles tonight from MDW on WN after business in Chicago. She called to tell me that WN completely discontinued operations there today because of weather. Every flight. And even though airlines are flying ORD-IAD still, she wanted to know why WN wouldn't book her on another airline (thats a whole other can of worms).

But anyway...the question is: US gets a lot of flack on this board for its operations in times of bad weather, like summer t-storms and winter snow/ice storms. There are usually long delays and several cancellations. People complain about the lack of a good backup plan and terrible irregular ops. But would you rather that response...or

Chicago Weather Advisory
Due to the weather conditions in the Chicago area, we have discontinued our scheduled service to/from Chicago Midway (MDW) for February 4, 2008. We plan to resume our regular operations on February 5, 2008.

Southwest Airlines Customers holding reservations to/from MDW on February 4 through the close of business February 5, 2008, wanting to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge. Additionally, Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled to/from MDW may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

We wholeheartedly appreciate your patience with our efforts to meet your air travel needs, and we invite you to please visit Flight Status Information and/or sign up for our convenient Flight Status Messaging to receive the latest information regarding your flight. We encourage our Ticketless Travel Customers to visit the Travel Center on southwest.com to cancel, change, and/or rebook their flight reservations. All ticketed Customers may contact Reservations (1-800-435-9792) for additional assistance.

Please read Recommendations for Travel Tips

Also note that the WN option means that you cannot be booked on another carrier and will fight for the next few days to get any remaining seats out of the city. Is the WN approach better: cancel it all and not strand people on planes or at gates....or would you at least like to have a chance to get out and then not have to fly standby or get fight for a confirmed flight the next day out?

so what, try getting on a US flight or any other carrier after weather like that. US would rather have people sit at the airport all day promising them that they will be on the next flight. US does nothing proactive...they merely react and blame the customer. 2 major incidents for me like that last year caused me to finally say goodbye to U

BTW the issue is fog/visibulity, as of 2100 LCL CST this is the MDW vis

Wind 26003kt Vis 1/16 of a mile in Fog, Ceiling 100 feet
Rwy 31C RVR 1200 Feet

Same at ORD except wind calm.

LGA777

Which reminds me of something the new US never did for me--I was on a CO flight last week and it was delayed. I was worried about a connection and when we landed I turned on my blackberry--Email from CO that I was protected on the next flight in First. Ran to the original flight anyway, and the gate agent said, US1YFARE? I said, why yes, it is I. And he said, get on the plane, we are waiting for you--don't worry about your boarding pass...last one to board and they are trying to leave and the FA says, what can I get you to drink?

Which reminds me of something the new US never did for me--I was on a CO flight last week and it was delayed. I was worried about a connection and when we landed I turned on my blackberry--Email from CO that I was protected on the next flight in First.
U cn alwys TEXTUS & find out wen U connection L U Bhind f U eva Dcide 2 fly us Airways 'gen.

I hEr aL d kds n Tempe luv 2 txt w thR ceL fonez.

I got a call from my sister in Chicago about her travel planes (she usually calls me about travel stuff...like when to buy tickets...what airlines/planes/airports are good/bad etc.). Anyway, she is there on business and was supposed to fly to Dulles tonight from MDW on WN after business in Chicago. She called to tell me that WN completely discontinued operations there today because of weather. Every flight. And even though airlines are flying ORD-IAD still, she wanted to know why WN wouldn't book her on another airline (thats a whole other can of worms).

But anyway...the question is: US gets a lot of flack on this board for its operations in times of bad weather, like summer t-storms and winter snow/ice storms. There are usually long delays and several cancellations. People complain about the lack of a good backup plan and terrible irregular ops. But would you rather that response...or

Also note that the WN option means that you cannot be booked on another carrier and will fight for the next few days to get any remaining seats out of the city. Is the WN approach better: cancel it all and not strand people on planes or at gates....or would you at least like to have a chance to get out and then not have to fly standby or get fight for a confirmed flight the next day out?
Yeah the standby thing kind of struck me too, but I would buy a ticket on them anyday over US, actually when I buy tickets it's usually on them, sometimes they're a few dollars more but whatever it's worth it. That's the thing about WN, they don't interline with anybody for any reason. They actually flew the flights that were supposed to go through MDW today, however they just overflew for instance if it was supposed to be MCI-MDW-ISP they just flew MCI-ISP. The cool thing about WN is that they fly so much point to point and that leaves a lot of options besides nonstops for those that will be stuck in MDW. So many times lately I have seen a flight delayed or cancelled (on US)and the agents are not offering to protect on other airlines. I asked an agent about this and she said "they (whoever "they" are) not doing that unless the pax get irate".

Given the similar weather at ORD on Feb 4, do you honestly think there were many (or any) ORD-IAD/DCA/BWI seats that weren't already filled by passengers who had had their earlier flights canceled? Southwest would have refunded your sister's ticket and she could have used the funds to purchase a new ticket over at ORD if she had wanted.

Um, the weather was below landing minimums at MDW for most/all of the day and was predicted to remain that way until late into the night. If an airline knows that they probably won't be able to operate my flight, I'd rather know up-front (preferably, even before I leave for the airport) so I can find more productive uses for my time. I hate sitting around at an airport (even worse, on the plane) for hours only to be told in the end, sorry, your flight is canceled. I'd rather not be given the false hope.

Honestly, it's usually immaterial in most of these situations unless some sort of special event is happening in a city (think, an ice storm in MSY during Mardi Gras or dense fog in LAS during CES or a heavy snowstorm in BOS at the beginning of the Christmas travel rush, which happened this past December). Most airlines are full trying to reroute their own displaced customers and have no space even in spite of interline agreements. Folks on the legacies were stuck with two to three day delays out of BOS due to the Dec. 20 snowstorm last year because no one had any empty seats.

Which reminds me of something the new US never did for me--I was on a CO flight last week and it was delayed. I was worried about a connection and when we landed I turned on my blackberry--Email from CO that I was protected on the next flight in First. Ran to the original flight anyway, and the gate agent said, US1YFARE? I said, why yes, it is I. And he said, get on the plane, we are waiting for you--don't worry about your boarding pass...last one to board and they are trying to leave and the FA says, what can I get you to drink?

Old US did the same for me a few times. I haven't seen that sort of thing in a while despite plenty of opportunities.