For a smoother merger, US Airways will keep it simple

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
The leaders of US Airways have a plan to minimize such pain after they merge with American Airlines this fall. It’s built around a short-term view that focuses on the transition, setting priorities and choosing the simple solution.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/mitchell-schnurman/20130506-schnurman-for-a-smoother-merger-us-airways-will-keep-it-simple.ece

I think they are, so far proceeding in a deliberate fashion using what was learned in the AW/US merger as well as seeing how UA/CO and DL/NW have fared.

When I hired on in the 70's just prior to deregulation, the talk was of all the mergers to come and that 3 mega carriers would someday fly the US skies with a number of smaller "niche" carriers. Well, if the AA/US merger is consummated the predictions will have been true.

I have mentioned this myself in a previous post. Not long after I was hired, and old timer at UA said the very same thing about 3 large carriers someday. We thought that he was nuts, but it turns out that he was spot on.

[sub]my folks esp my mom remeber an article titled that one day there would be 3 major air carriers in the usa one being delta united and american they read that in miami back in the 60s or 70s[/sub]

When I hired on in the 70's just prior to deregulation, the talk was of all the mergers to come and that 3 mega carriers would someday fly the US skies with a number of smaller "niche" carriers. Well, if the AA/US merger is consummated the predictions will have been true.

I remember that being said in the 80s, after the TW/OZ, RC/NW, and PI/AL (yes the code was stilll AL until then) mergers. And that the only three carriers left would be AA,DL, and UA. Add the word "network" before "carriers", and that prediction came true! No one foresaw the growth of WN and the launch of B6. Amazing.

In many ways, it is a better, more efficient, air transport system. But my inner airline geek still yearns for seeing the likes of BN, NA, WA and the "local carriers/intrastate ones (like RW, PS, WC, and FL (the REAL one!). And, of course, PA and TW! When I was an aviation obsessed kid, I could not imagine those heavyweights being gone...

I think they are, so far proceeding in a deliberate fashion using what was learned in the AW/US merger as well as seeing how UA/CO and DL/NW have fared.

Interesting. I was in early grade school in the 70's

I was working on the ramp.
Standing guard duty in the 4/64 Armor motor pool Aschaffenburg, FRG. Flying experience limited to 2 flights - TWA to STL basic training and some unremembered airline flight from CHS to Frankfurt. Work for an airline someday? Right...

1970's? This is from the 1070's:

bayeaux_zps65f319ec.jpg

Latest posts

Back