Foreign Ownership

andyperkins

Advanced
Contributor
Sep 22, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The Department of Transportation (DOT) has issued a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) that would make it easier for foreign airlines to own more of U.S. airlines. This is dangerous for a couple of reasons. First, it would make it easier for foreign controlled airlines to outsource flight attendant jobs. Second, U.S. airlines provide assistance in moving troops around the globe. A U.S. airline controlled by a foreign entity could choose not to help move troops if this NPRM takes effect. Congress can stop this by passing H.R. 4542 in the House and S 2135 in the Senate.

Send a letter to the following decision maker(s):
Your Congressperson
Your Senators

Below is the sample letter:

Subject: Don't Sell our National Security

Dear [decision maker name automatically inserted here],

The Department of Transportation (DOT) has issued a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) that would make it easier for foreign airlines to have more control over U.S. airlines and make key decisions regarding the operations of U.S. airlines. Through this effort, the Administration is seeking to ignore and circumvent Congressional authority. I urge you to become a cosponsor of H.R. 4542 or S.2135 and allow for proper Congressional debate over this critical change to US aviation law.

Congress spoke to this issue in 2003 when it mandated that U.S. citizens must exercise actual control over U.S. airlines. Both of these bills reaffirm this recent common sense decision and over 60 years of U.S. aviation policy by the Congress. Both of these bills would stop DOT from usurping Congressional authority and prevent them from moving to a final rule for one year and require that DOT report the potential ramifications this rule would have to Congress.

Our security and aviation system are too valuable and should not be put up for sale. Allowing foreign companies or investors to have control over our airlines jeopardizes the avialability of aircraft for the Civil Reserve Air Fleet, which we count on to carry our troops and supplies overseas.

The idea of our troops being stuck in foreign lands because a foreign controlled U.S. airline does not agree with a particular position the U.S. has taken is unconscionable. Furthermore, this NPRM creates numerous other potential loopholes regarding both national and job security issues that Congress must consider if we are to protect our transportation security system.

Please contact the office of either Congressman Oberstar or Congressman LoBiondo to become a cosponsor of H.R. 4542 or the office of Senator Inouye to become a cosponsor of S. 2135. Thank
you for time and consideration in this most critical matter.
Take action now!

http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/foreignownership

Send a letter to the following decision maker(s):
Your Congressperson
Your Senators

Below is the sample letter:

Subject: Don't Sell our National Security

Dear [decision maker name automatically inserted here],

Because I am too damned stupid to write my own letter my Uncle Floyd (who graduated from Pigsknuckle Jr. High with honors) wrote one for me. When I pass the literacy test I will vote for you.

Because I am too damned stupid to write my own letter my Uncle Floyd (who graduated from Pigsknuckle Jr. High with honors) wrote one for me. When I pass the literacy test I will vote for you.
Don’t sell yourself short! I'm sure you’re not as stupid as you play off, for whatever reason.
Heck, you did good on your response, if you want to use your own letter go right ahead...that’s the beauty of the link...you can make any changes you want before you send the letter over. But doing nothing until it’s a better time accomplishes nothing. :down:

This poll closes on the 27th...is your job in jeopardy?

Calm down the sky is not falling.
1. Make it as part of the law that U.S. based foreign owned airlines must continue to be available to the armed forces.(CRAF)

2. All employess of the airline must be citizens of the country it is based in.

Critics may cry foul and wrap themselves in the flag but like it or not it is the trend with other U.S. industries, many far more sensitive than air transportation.

Opening up to foreign ownership allow for better access to capital and managerial talent.

Can any of you imagine how different US Airways would be today if British Airways could have bought us before they became enamored with AA? :(

The troops will always get where they want to go. Want to know why? Because as long as they pay MONEY anyone owning something that flies will be offereing it to fly them. Ask any Afghan, Martian, or yes even American airline no matter the politics they want to make money.

Maybe the Europeans could come in and show this country how an airline should do its onboard service. They deal with higher fuel prices, looser restrictions, and cutthroat competition yet have returned to profit long ago.

Sell crazy somewhere else.
We're all stocked up here.

Opening up to foreign ownership allow for better access to capital and managerial talent.

Can any of you imagine how different US Airways would be today if British Airways could have bought us before they became enamored with AA? :(

The troops will always get where they want to go. Want to know why? Because as long as they pay MONEY anyone owning something that flies will be offereing it to fly them. Ask any Afghan, Martian, or yes even American airline no matter the politics they want to make money.

Maybe the Europeans could come in and show this country how an airline should do its onboard service. They deal with higher fuel prices, looser restrictions, and cutthroat competition yet have returned to profit long ago.

Sell crazy somewhere else.
We're all stocked up here.
[/quote]

Call me a bullheaded Texan, but i have said before and i will say again..... I am one American that is not and never will be comfortable with foreign control of this nations airlines.

Been on any cruises lately? How many Americans did you see employed there? About 10? THAT is what will happen if foreign ownership laws are relaxed.

flyingcat said:
My guess is that things would look much the same as they do now or we would have been sold off as the failed “US†thing and be just a page in the aviation history books.

BA has had much of the same problems that we have faced here at USA…Management shuffle, Chairman Positions for friends, and double dipping of Management positions. They have been victim to the same “Boardroom Boys Club†that plagues all US legacy airlines.

Interestingly, look at the cowboys of the industry, Branson in the UK and Kelleher in the US, and you see companies that have been successful because they took care of the people that take care of the customer. No decision the CEO makes…painting aircraft, pretty seats, hot food…will make a bit of difference, if they don’t take care of the employees.

I also don’t believe it’s all that difficult for anyone with experience from the UK that wants to work in the US to come over and collect a few millions a year. US Airlines are always looking for a good “fall†guy who wants to fly FREE for the rest of his life. :down:

As I look at the proposal, I wonder if this isn't just a continuation of a chain of events that will continue to downgrade the standard of living for most American. We now don't make hardly anything in the USA, it's all imported (see balance of trade with china). We have allowed jobs to be moved overseas. When we have a "shortage" of labor, business convinces the government to allow the importation of labor instead of raising wages to attract new people(see farm worker, nurses, programmer). Bush says American won't do farm work, B.S. if he allowed the wages to rise, they would be plenty of American to do the work. And in the same vein, business says it must compete so the government created the 401K plans. Now business is dropping the pension plans as too expensive. The health plans are now too expensive so they are going to large deductables or being dropped completely. At US, when you "retire" after 65, no medical at all. Fidelity Investments says you will need at least $200,000 for medical expense in addition to Medicare.

So will this little rule change cause a major change in the airlines. Not immediately. But slowly the evolution will occure. Look how long deregulation took to have an impact. Planes based in other countries crewed by people from other countries, maintained in other countries (oh, wait we already do that). Profits going to other countries. Then the US employees will have there wages and benefits reduced until business will need to import workers because of a shortage.

Just think I will be able to take a flight to New York (on a foreign owned and crew airline, take a cruise (on a foreign owned and crewed ship) to travel up the US coast and stop in US ports wearing clothes made in foreign countries. I see a problem here, I won't have any money for this and I probably be dead anyway because I can afford the medical treatments or medication I'll need.

Dubya- We'll export American jobs to third world countries. Those jobs that we can't export, we'll bring in "guest workers". We'll dump pensions and medical coverage, we'll screw the current retirees by getting rid of their prescription drug benefit by putting it under medicare. We'll bust the unions, big business will love me!
I can always start a war- as long as Americans (other than the troops and their families) are not affected they won't care, even when I lie about it. That'll boost oil profits. The best part is that when Americans get angry with me, I'll yell "Gay Marriage, Abortion, 9-11,...".
We can always spy on them and find out who is not "patriotic". They'll fall in line. Americans are the dumbest people in the world.

No truer words spoken.

I never thought I would agree with you on anything.

Call me a bullheaded Texan, but i have said before and i will say again..... I am one American that is not and never will be comfortable with foreign control of this nations airlines.

Well,

so I guess you have a problem with communists/dictaors around the world supply our treasury?

How about selling us the oil to run these airlines?

SoftLanding

I'm opposed to foreign ownership of a US airline because international flying could easily be transferred to the foreign division. :down: