Four Airlines Bid For Uair Assests

delldude said:
i was under the impression that the assets are DCA,LGA and BOS slots and the shuttle ROUTES ONLY..no planes...
I'm under the impression that a big ole "For Sale" sign has been slapped on everything with a flag on it. I think Bronner's starting to worry that he might not make any money on his investment, and is looking to sell all assets off while they still have value....

Well once an airline starts selling off valuable assets to raise cash(a.k.a. Eastern, Pan Am, TWA) the end is in the not to distant future! Not much will be left to run after the sale only what is left of commuter operations and then people may get their wish when UAL buys it! Maybe U would have been better off being bailed out by Texas Pacific, at least maybe they would have wanted to run and airline vs running one into the ground!! :down:

Are any planes up for sale or just slots/gates/airport facilities at DCA/LGA/BOS?

Is there a law prohibiting foreign ownership of slots? Why doesn't the *A help US out? After all thats what brought US into the alliance in the first place- their assets in the major NE business centers.

Everybody needs to chill. Companies put assets and divisions up for sale all the time, often with no intention of actually selling, but to establish a market value and explore alternatives. It is just good business to do so. None of this means anything is getting sold.

d328pilot said:
really? When was the last time US Air had assests for sale?
1994. 50% was going to UAL, 30% to AMR and the rest was going away. It never happened. Not that it can't happen now. Those were differnt times and other than LUV, LCC's back then were here today and gone tomorrow. I think their is recognition that unless UAIR comes up with legitimate plan and one that includes grwoth, its Toast. I hate to quote former UAIR exec's, "you can't shrink an airline into profitability" It's to bad they didn't practice what they preached and tried to sell an airline into profitablity. It remains to be seen if their is even a plan and whether the curren management team will be able garner any support from UAIR's employees. Obviously there is going to have to be real meat to anything they present and even then who knows. It seems that people are really tired and that creates little motivation.

US Airways isnt really much without "the corridor" and the Shuttle. Hubs in secondary, low O&D markets because of sentiment instead of sense, barely even a presence in two thirds of the country, a handful of transatlantic routes from a market thats too close to NYC, and Carribbean routes that anyone could start on thier own if they so pleased.

Oh yeah, and labor turmoil and some of the most senior airline employees in the world in a high cost, highly unionized part of the country.

Not exactly attractive to anyone with a bit of sense. Sadly, to anyone who may have been a potential buyer a few years ago, US is worth more dead than alive now. It would cut capacity just enough so everyone could breathe, and the airline is small enough that in the grand scheme of things, not too much would be disrupted. Other carriers would pick up the slack. Yes, many would be unemployed but the company has already contributed to that by laying off nearly half of its employees in the last three years. Public sentiment isnt really on our side.

It's sad, but it sure looks like its going that way. One of the legacy airlines had to go after 9/11, and without emotion here, which one is the most pointless?

N628AU said:
Everybody needs to chill. Companies put assets and divisions up for sale all the time, often with no intention of actually selling, but to establish a market value and explore alternatives. It is just good business to do so. None of this means anything is getting sold.
Wow.... and they say that denial is just a river in Egypt....

Latest posts