Four of five United unions reach wage cut deal

C

chipmunn

[P]Paul Whiteford, an ALPA official and UAL board member, said there would be no more negotiations between management and the overall union coalition on a financial recovery framework. Instead, each group would be working out its own specific terms, he said.[/P]

[A href=http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/021018/airlines_united_unions_1.html]http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/021018/airlines_united_unions_1.html[/A]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/18/2002 11:24:15 AM chipmunn wrote:

Paul Whiteford, an ALPA official and UAL board member, said there would be no more negotiations between management and the overall union coalition on a financial recovery framework. Instead, each group would be working out its own specific terms, he said.[/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]

Chip,
Just goes to show how absolutely brain dead it appears investors are. There is absolutely NOTHING new in Whitefords statement, but it turned the stock from new all time lows to a gain of 0.12.

Most of you that visit this board know my position on concessions. I don’t need to get into that right now. I was going to start a topic with this. I think it fits in right here.

This is about the IAM. Most of you are right about the IAM been the death of United Airlines. I’m not so sure that the members are the problem. The clock is ticking and the IAM is dragging their feet trying to keep AMFA off the property. If they truly had the members well being at heart they would bring something back for us to vote on and move on. Scared members out number the
militant members. Almost anything brought to a vote will pass. My biggest grip is not knowing what is going on. I want some updates. It seems that some kind of meeting are going on.

TO: THE MEMBERSHIP OF DISTRICT 141-M EMPLOYED BY UNITED AIRLINES

Dear Sisters and Brothers:

Yesterday, in Chicago, your I.A.M. Negotiating Committee met with our Economist Tom Roth and Attorney Robert Bush. We gathered vital information in preparation for face-to-face meetings with United Airlines.
Today, United Airlines’ financial advisors will address the Committee and CEO Glenn Tilton has been invited to be part of the conversations.
We are in constant communication with the Union Coalition on issues that are of common interest.
Your Committee is committed to protecting your interests and the welfare of your family.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Scotty Ford, President and Directing General Chairman
Rich Bourque, Local Lodge 1781 Chairman
Scott Brown, Local Lodge 1886 Chairman
Todd Bower, Local Lodge 1487 Chairman
Bill Skjoldager, Local Lodge 1487 Utility Committeeman
Ray Perry, District 141-M Vice President-West
Armand Fontaine, District 141-M Vice President-East
Tom Reardon, District 141-M General Chairman
Vic Osuna, District 141-M General Chairman
Rich Johnsen, Grand Lodge Representative

TO: THE MEMBERSHIP OF DISTRICT 141-M EMPLOYED BY UNITED AIRLINES

Dear Sisters and Brothers:

Beginning today in Chicago, I have convened a Committee to discuss the financial situation facing United Airlines. This is in compliance with the Letter of Agreement that was ratified by our membership in March of this year.
Members that have volunteered to serve on this Committee are as follows:

Rich Bourque, Local Lodge 1781 - Chairman
Scott Brown, Local Lodge 1886 - Chairman
Todd Bower, Local Lodge 1487 - Chairman
Bill Skjoldager, Local Lodge 1487 - Utility Committeeman
Ray Perry, District 141-M - Vice President-West
Armand Fontaine, District 141-M - Vice President-East
Tom Reardon, District 141-M - General Chairman
Vic Osuna, District 141-M - General Chairman
Rich Johnsen, Grand Lodge Representative

When the situation warrants, members from other classifications will be asked to participate.
The Committee will meet several days before any face-to-face discussions begin with United Airlines Representatives.
Our involvement with the Union coalition will continue on issues of common concern to each of the labor groups. Tomorrow afternoon, CFO Jake Brace, has requested a conference call with all coalition members and we will participate as requested.
We will continue to advise the membership as this situation develops.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Scotty Ford
President and General Chairman
If I have my dates right then Oct. 14 was the end of the 6-month period that we were required to look at concessions. They didn’t need to say that in the letter. We all know that it doesn’t matter that it was contract language. Times do call for talks.

The IAM will destroy United Airlines in an attempt to keep AMFA off the property.

I've heard through the grapevine that one of the main sticking points to a deal with the IAM is that they want to take over the IAM pension responsibilities from the company.

[P][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Busdrvr, the industry fundamentals are collapsing and nobody likes the situation either your or my company is in. My hope is regardless how it works out, our two company's can find a way to eventually prosper, either toegether or apart.[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Chip[/FONT][/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/18/2002 12:03:53 PM chipmunn wrote:

[FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]Busdrvr, the industry fundamentals are collapsing and nobody likes the situation either your or my company is in. My hope is regardless how it works out, our two company's can find a way to eventually prosper, either toegether or apart.[/FONT][/P]

[FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]Chip[/FONT][/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]

I agree with you. I merely pointed out how absolutely braindead the market can be.

gatemech,

I've heard through the grapevine that one of the main sticking points between the IAM and the company is that the IAM wants to take over running the IAM pensions.

UAL777Flyer,

The IAM Pension is the ultimate AMFA poison pill. Now when you would want to change representation your retirement would be lost. Don't get me wrong the real big picture is in the managing of the money for the IAM. Unchecked the IAM will rest on it's laurels...and become complacent...gulp! My 2 cents.

Well, I think we're fast approaching decision time. This industry continues its revenue death spiral. The quicker we reach agreements and move on, the quicker we can get a jump start on our competitors.

As you can see by the third quarter loss Ual is i n trouble and we do have to move quickly to keep out of BK.

I have a question about the rumor of IAM handling the pension plan. Would that lock them into being the union that can't be replaced? I need some info. Please point me in the direction of posts that have talked about this before, or if someon e can explain it easily. Thanks.

[blockquote]
----------------
I have a question about the rumor of IAM handling the pension plan. Would that lock them into being the union that can't be replaced? I need some info. Please point me in the direction of posts that have talked about this before, or if someon e can explain it easily. Thanks.
----------------
[/blockquote]

atabuy,

That is a good question. A scary thought too. I wonder if that is part of the IAM's strategy? I'm going to look into that. I hope anyone with knowledge on this subject will help.

I just wish they would get off their a** and do something. Right or wrong just do something.

Rules of representation are set forth from the NMB. However the fear of, real or not, losing one's retirement will ultimately make the decision for the fence sitter. Representational elections are traditionally close enough that with fear, rumors, or big incidents (i.e. US+UAL) can swing the vote.

The IAM also attempted to gain control of the pension plan during contract negotiations last spring, which eventually led to the PEBR. Many AMT's are adamantly opposed to the IAM having ANY control whatsoever over their pension plan. The IAM views gaining control of the pension plan as their assurance of remaining on the property as the AMT's bargaining agent.The IAM at UA seperated from the union coalition because the other unions failed to recognize the $500 million loan/deferred retro pay as a meaningful contribution to the ERP. It appears the IAM will only concede layoffs/work rule changes as their concession. Many AMT's at UA want to play ball, but the IAM will not bring them a proposal.