Fuel Hedging

Rob

Senior
Aug 19, 2002
Does anybody know if US Airways has a fuel hedge arrangement in place for this quarter.
Some UAL spokesman said UAL *doesn''t* have one because bankrupt carriers can''t arrange them. I don''t believe the UAL guy; some kind of forward purchase arrangement is available to anybody with cash.

ROB:

Your post is an interesting question! Seigel nor his predecessor has ever hedged one penny on fuel costs. Only hedging they have accomplished is with employee salaries and benefits and those businesses listed in the Chapter 11 agreement.

11.gif']

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/9/2003 3:11:25 PM Braveheart wrote:

ROB:

Your post is an interesting question! Seigel nor his predecessor has ever hedged one penny on fuel costs. Only hedging they have accomplished is with employee salaries and benefits and those businesses listed in the Chapter 11 agreement.

BRAVEHEART [img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/11.gif']
----------------
[/blockquote]
That is completely incorrect. US was hedging fuel up to 50% or so in 2001.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/9/2003 3:16:39 PM A320 Driver wrote:

I did read something recently about some of our 2003 fuel being hedged.

A320 Driver
----------------
[/blockquote]
you're right...even though they supposedly can't hedge in BK,i remember seigel saying they weren't overly worried about fuel price spikes as they had some sort of agreement....but i specifically remeber him saying they couldn't during the road shows.maybbe he got another sugar daddy deal...

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/9/2003 5:21:00 PM ITRADE wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
[/blockquote]
That is completely incorrect. US was hedging fuel up to 50% or so in 2001.
----------------
[/blockquote]

ITRADE:

Give me the actual location and facts revealing your information. Matter of fact, post a copy of it.

Was his and Wolfe's hedging cutting the number of mainline planes and employees?

11.gif']

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/9/2003 4:03:35 PM a320av8r wrote:

A carrier in bankruptcy can not hedge fuel.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Do you have a legal cite that shows this? I think if the cash outlay was approved by the judge, anything is possible. That is just an educated guess on my part.