Fuel usage data on 717 -200 (very short haul)

Nov 11, 2007
Hi ……….. wondering if someone can help. I am working with Friends in Kauai Hawaii against a high speed ferry system. We are opposed to the Superferry as it will kill whales (it has done so else wear.) There are many other reasons we are against the Superferry, not the least of which is that it will burn 12,000 gallons of diesel on a round trip from Oahu to Kauai. We believe the 717- 200 is a far more fuel efficient (ppm) way of moving people from Island to Island and would like to get some professional opinion on fuel usage of a 717 – 200 on say a 102 mile flight from Oahu to Kauai. We suspect around 1000 gallons but are not sure. The 1000 gallon figure would make the Superferry 3 times more damaging to the atmosphere than a 717 -200. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated ……….. Our face book site is Friends of Kauai – Stop the Superferry. Thanks.

OK ............how about total gallons fuel usage on a 110 mile flight for a DC 9 ? The 717 is apparently 25% more fuel efficient than the DC 9. The more I read about all this the more I think 1000 gallons may be a little high. Thanks

OK ............how about total gallons fuel usage on a 110 mile flight for a DC 9 ? The 717 is apparently 25% more fuel efficient than the DC 9. The more I read about all this the more I think 1000 gallons may be a little high. Thanks
I never flew the 717 although my former empoyer operated them. I do know that an MD-80 (which I currently fly) or any model DC-9 would burn approximately 3,000# of fuel on a 100 mile flight, probably a little less. This equals about 450 gallons. I would estimate the 717's fuel burn at about 20% less for about 360 gallons. All of these numbers shold be on the high side. Figure 100 passengers for a 717 or 36 gallons per passenger.

Back