Furlough Expiration Numbers

Jim,

Only bases with overstaffing issues would be force-transferred...been there, done that. My classmates at LGA, BOS, and ORD were not forced to STL.

Since SLT warrants an open transfer, you're safe. I've heard DFW is overstaffed and MIA definitely is. I don't know about the other bases.

I'm not going to put too much stock in this one, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did happen.

Coop

SLT

However, right now, I'm afraid that they might do forced transfers to LGA. I'm junior enough that might happen. If it does, I might have to rethink this glamorous profession. Commuting to New York with the crash pad expense and the transportation hassles to EWR, etc. just ain't worth it.

We are in the first week of March already and I'm curious if any of you hav managed to get the attrition rate for Feb?
Thanks

One thing i miss about the SLT base was the old TWA safety instructors some of the best in the industry. :up:

One thing i miss about the SLT base was the old TWA safety instructors some of the best in the industry. :up:

When are they going to change the base code from SLT back to STL? I thought I read somewhere that that was suppose to happen. Not that its that important but would be more accurate.

When are they going to change the base code from SLT back to STL?

They are not going to. The explanation was the programming was too costly.

Besides, why would I want to give up my SL*T designation? :p (The nickname is from the two certificate days...as in "are you a SL*T yet?")

Filling out liquor forms in a rush can be a mess sometimes...I have mistakenly written from SLT to DFW more times than I can count :lol:

Coop

SLT

When are they going to change the base code from SLT back to STL? I thought I read somewhere that that was suppose to happen. Not that its that important but would be more accurate.

I heard it was going to cost several thousand dollars to change the programming in FOS/DECS. So it is put on hold indefinitely.

Well, now. If you hurry and update your 3* before Monday, you could get a transfer to LGA, DCA, or SLT. :lol:

The fact that they are opening the transfer list at all is amazing, but these 3 bases are understaffed again. Normally, if the transfer slots are not fully subscribed, they would recall furloughees to fill them.

I forgot to come back and post the info that when push came to shove, they only pulled transfers for DCA. The website simply said "We have chosen to defer pulling transfers for LGA and SLT at this time." No explanation given.

EWR Satellite test.

The EWR Pref sys works fine if there are EWR FA’s on reserve. When I have worked the LGA base, there were days when I only had 1 or 2 FA’s on the reserve list who had a EWR preference. Now guess what happens when I have 6 EWR trips and only 2 EWR FA’s? The system works if I have the FA’s. The same is true if I have 6 EWR FA’s and no EWR trips. If your hours are low, you will get a LGA/JFK trip. It’s luck of the draw. Sometime the toast land butter side up, sometimes it does not.

Preferences

The biggest problem with the preferences that we see is that the rage of hours is too low. My understanding is that in order for your preferences to be taken into consideration, your hours have to be with in a certain range (I believe 3 hours) of what the base average should be for that time. If the hours are out of that range, the preferences are ignored. Most of us (my self included) would like to see the range done away with or at least expanded quite a bit. Having said that, preferences are just that, a wish list. I wish for a lot of stuff but reality does not always agree with my desires. If we have 1 or 2 3 days trips and a bunch of turns, you my "want" the 3 day and it may be in your preference but if you have 20 hours and I have a FA on reserve who has 0 hours, guess who gets the 3 day trip? Sad to say that your family relations in BHM do not enter into the equation of who gets what. We try and keep the flying as even as possible. We do not like seeing one FA with 80 hours and one with only 20 hours at the end of the month. Not fair to either FA.

It’s not a perfect system but no system is. Someone is always going to be pissed off and not get what they want. The EWR system works great from my perspective the times I have worked that base. Cuts down on sick calls and the bitching that I have to endure each time I call someone with a EWR seq. The Pref need work but I think the idea is sound and you guys need to realize that sometimes, or perhaps a lot of times, you will not get what you want. There are numerous variables that come in to play when we assign sequences.