Game On! DL announces EWN service.

Non Rev

Senior
Dec 20, 2002
Today of all days!

From USA Today:

Delta adds route to small N.C. city
Beginning May 6, Delta Air Lines will start non-stop service to New Bern, N.C., from its hub in Atlanta. Delta Connection carrier Atlantic Southeast will fly two daily round-trip flights using 40-seat Bombardier regional jets.

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come!

How can they make money with 2 flights a day on a 40 seater jet.

This will help:

"The airport authority will provide free rent and landing fees until the end of 2008, include Delta in airport marketing and underwrite some startup risk costs. A final agreement is in the works now."

The rest will depend on the combination of LF and fares. If it doesn't work out, DL will drop the service as soon as the agreement ends. If it works, they'll continue it.

Jim

If their recent attempts at service to HKY and ISO are any indication of how EWN will do, I say US need not worry :up:

Oh no, not this serious competition in the EWN market... :blink:
With EWN being the "Barn Burner" market that it is, I hope DL brings in a few 757's a day to handle all of the traffic that is certain to emerge. :shock:

Today of all days!

From USA Today:

Delta adds route to small N.C. city
Beginning May 6, Delta Air Lines will start non-stop service to New Bern, N.C., from its hub in Atlanta. Delta Connection carrier Atlantic Southeast will fly two daily round-trip flights using 40-seat Bombardier regional jets.

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come!

OH NO Mr Bill! RJ's in New Bern!! RUN Mr Bill RUN

This will help:

"The airport authority will provide free rent and landing fees until the end of 2008, include Delta in airport marketing and underwrite some startup risk costs. A final agreement is in the works now."

Jim

Yep Jim you are correct:

NEW BERN, N.C. - Delta Air Lines received about $100,000 in incentives to offer roundtrip flights from New Bern to Atlanta, officials said.

Rent and landing fees worth about $50,000 annually were waived by Craven County Regional Airport, which also agreed to use a $50,000 federal grant to promote the two daily flights that will begin May 6.

In exchange, Delta has agreed to offer the flights through 2008 but also has requested revenue guarantees, said John Price, a member of the Craven County Regional Airport Authority. The amount is being negotiated, Price said.

"We still don't know the exact figure but we're prepared to take that risk because we think the community will support them," he said, adding that any payments would be funded by airport revenue, not tax dollars.

Last month, officials in Jacksonville offered Delta incentives worth up to $700,000 to get two flights. Kinston gave the carrier at least $285,000 when Delta began services there, but the airline stopped the service last month.

I don't see this affecting US Airways buisness! If anything it will help, most people that went to ISO to benefit from the free parking quickly came back to EWN after the ATL experience!!! Hmmmmm, going on a domectic flight??? Lets see..... I'll take CLT over ATL anyday!!
Right now US Airways offers 7 Flights a day to CLT, 3 RJ flights along with Dash 8 service.

Though I continue to hate subsidies of this kind, which do nothing but serve as a slap in the face to the carrier that's been providing service for years unsubsidized, at least DL has been taking advantage of them.

On the other hand, the cities of MCN and ABY have offered US hundreds of thousands of dollars to send a few daily Piedmont Dash 8's down there...and US, of course, did nothing. Perhaps if MCN and ABY were in Arizona and not Georgia, then Tempe might be able to even find them on a map.