More New Service

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
US AIRWAYS EXPRESS TO BEGIN NONSTOP ASHEVILLE-NEW YORK REGIONAL JET SERVICE

ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 8, 2003 -- US Airways Express announced today that it will begin twice-daily nonstop regional jet service between Asheville, N.C., and New York’s LaGuardia Airport on Feb. 8, 2004.

The new flights will use 50-seat regional jets operated by US Airways Express affiliate carriers Chautauqua and Mesa Airlines.

Sunday-Friday Schedule

Departing Asheville Arriving New York
7:25 a.m. 9 a.m.
5:35 p.m. 7:10 p.m.

Departing New York Arriving Asheville
2:55 p.m.
5 p.m.
7:41 p.m. 9:52 p.m.

Saturday Schedule

Departing Asheville
Arriving New York

7:25 a.m. 9 a.m.

Departing New York Arriving Asheville
2:30 p.m. 4:35 p.m.

"The Asheville community has been very supportive of not only our nonstop service to destinations in the Carolinas, but connecting service to 110 cities beyond," said Daniel M. McDonald, US Airways vice president of planning and scheduling. "We are pleased to expand our presence in Western Carolina to include daily nonstop service to New York, one of the country’s premiere business and leisure destinations."

From Asheville, US Airways Express operates seven daily Charlotte, N.C. roundtrip flights, as well as daily roundtrip service to Greenville, S.C., and Raleigh/Durham, N.C.

The title should read: More New Service, on Contract Carriers

US Airways has wholly owned express carriers who have provided mainline feed, made a profit and contributed to the bottom line of the company for years. Had they not been scoped out of RJ's years ago, we would have remained competitive and not be in this predicament today.

Who was it that agreed to let the flying go outside of group anyway, thinking it would not harm them? It was always "Sure we'll let you have a few more contract RJ's, if there's something in it for us." It's now obvious that this approach may not have been in everyones best interest.

It's only going to get worse! :angry:

OldpropGuy said:
"Sure we'll let you have a few more contract RJ's, if there's something in it for us."
Lets cut the RJ nonsense and call them what they are, "Small Jets". Aircraft that can seat as many as the F28-1000, and fly beyond halfway across the continent are not rejional. I never heard the DC9 or 737 being called rejional flying hourly between PHL-PIT, DCA-BOS, EWR-BOS, PHL-BOS.

Small Jets, Regional Jets... no. I call them what they are... REPLACEMENT JETS. They fly now to cities that were ALWAYS flown by 737s and Diesel 9s. ie... STL.

Alright I will say it again! Why are we still fighting and bashing the Small Jets! I really only see stupid uninformed people still make the statement like they are REPLACEMENT JETS! Well YES! You are right when you say that because US Airways is trying to catch up and get in line with all other airlines by replacing the nonprofitable routes using Mainline Aircraft with the smaller more effiecent smaller jets. So what is so hard to understand. If it was so profitable to run a route with a 737 that US Airways now uses a Smaller Jet on why does not someone like Southwest and Airtran jump in and run the route, because we all know that they would beat the pants off of us. Now you want to say that the Express pilots are undercutting and flying for peanuts!!! Well I will have to slightly agree with you about flying for peanuts but will a "Mainline Pilot" come over and fly the small jet for the pay? NO!! So what should we do! Pay a mainline pilot $100+/ hours to fly these planes on these routes??

My conclusion is: Lets stop fighting each other and lets help turn this airline around together. From what I am hearing now, there is some great ideas and planning going on here at US Airways to make this a great place to work such as: More point to point flying (AVL-LGA ect), Rolling hub system, Computerize pilot and aircraft scheduleing to increase productivity are just a few things I think a great ideas! Here is a suggestiong to start with. Every US Airways employee you see, just smile and say Hi! as you walk by in the airport or stop and say HI and introduce yourself. Everyone seems to think that every Southwest, AirTran, Jetblue etc. ect. are just so happy and nice and helpful. Why cant US Airways be like that.....WE CAN!!! Listen folks if we want to continue to complain and spout doom about how bad this airlines is, then it will be over soon and then you can try to find someone to point a finger at and blame for you being unemployeed!

Hey, I just tried that thing where you say Hi to your fellow co-workers and all. Now I have two black eyes and a busted nose. Unfortunately I had to call off the trip in LGW stranding the plane and crew. Now is it possible to claim workmans comp for my injuries? I don't know what I'm going to do.