New Airline for OAJ

bluestarcitx

Aug 17, 2006
Charlotte
Visit site
Jacksonville will become Delta's ninth destination in North Carolina.

Beginning December 11th, the airline will offer two non-stop daily flights to Atlanta.

Delta's flights between Jacksonville and Atlanta will be operated by Delta connection carrier Atlantic Southeast Airlines, using 40-seat regional jets.

County leaders say this airport expansion really puts Jacksonville on the map, and is a big boost for the military.

Delta is offering special introductory fares from Jacksonville to celebrate its newest service.

:censored:

Beginning December 11th, the airline will offer two non-stop daily flights to Atlanta.

Delta's flights between Jacksonville and Atlanta will be operated by Delta connection carrier Atlantic Southeast Airlines, using 40-seat regional jets.

County leaders say this airport expansion really puts Jacksonville on the map, and is a big boost for the military.

Delta is offering special introductory fares from Jacksonville to celebrate its newest service.

They flew there years ago and pulled out around 1998 or 1999. I'm surprised though it's just the 40 seaters and just 2 flights a day. Those OAJ flights are always packed.

They flew there years ago and pulled out around 1998 or 1999. I'm surprised though it's just the 40 seaters and just 2 flights a day. Those OAJ flights are always packed.

ASA pulled out in Oct 1999...main problem at that time was Brasilia's and a long leg to ATL with a lot of Marine duffel bags.

Two rounds/days has been more typicaly of DL's approach to new service in the smaller markets lately. But you're right, OAJ has been running a high LF...and I expect the market there to respond very positively to the new DL service.

Duffle bag weights are the biggest obstacle flying into OAJ. I think a 40 seat CRJ will do just fine on this route. Over the years, US dumps ILM with military duffles, since the CLT-OAJ aircraft cannot acommodate the weight. A delivery service from OAJ eventually picks the duffles and other bags. Sometimes it takes a day or two! Luckily, the last six months have been trouble free.

You say a 40 seat RJ is the right aircraft, then you go on to say that it can't carry the customers bags on the same plane, and a delivery service has to be used than can take days. What a giant contradiction. Sounds like a real two bit operation to me. Do you get away with treating them like crap just because they're military? It's like flying an RJ into Myrtle Beach, but whoops, we can't carry your golf clubs, and you're at the mercy of some delivery service. Unacceptable to run an airline this way.

Any plane that can't carry the number of customers that it has seats, plus the luggage of those same customers, is flat out the wrong size plane, period.

So the county leaders say, but why does 2 DL 40-seat RJs put OAJ on the map? US has invested heavily in OAJ over the past several years - increasing flights after CCAir/Mesa left (i.e. thrown out) to 7 or 8 per day. First Dash-8-100s, then Dash-8-300s, then CRJs, then CRJ700s and CRJ900s. I think US has been GROSSLY underappreciated at OAJ. Kind of a slap in the face from Onslow County if you ask me.

So the county leaders say, but why does 2 DL 40-seat RJs put OAJ on the map? US has invested heavily in OAJ over the past several years - increasing flights after CCAir/Mesa left (i.e. thrown out) to 7 or 8 per day. First Dash-8-100s, then Dash-8-300s, then CRJs, then CRJ700s and CRJ900s. I think US has been GROSSLY underappreciated at OAJ. Kind of a slap in the face from Onslow County if you ask me.

How is it a slap? We make tons of money off them folks and we live in a captalist country!

How is it a slap? We make tons of money off them folks and we live in a captalist country!
No doubt we'll continue to make money. It's just annoying that just because the airport gets a second carrier with 2 flights a day that they OAJ is now on the "map." US will still rule @ OAJ!

No doubt we'll continue to make money. It's just annoying that just because the airport gets a second carrier with 2 flights a day that they OAJ is now on the "map." US will still rule @ OAJ!

Yea we will! Delta is flying into Kinston only two times a day. If anything it has helped EWN's business. (one flight burps its all over with).
They have billboards all over about JetService, JetService in Kinston on Delta!! People want frequency, reliable service and a good price, they could care less on what airplane.... Hence bring on more Dash 8's!!!!! Its a great plane, and for the most part Pax like it!!

US Airways eyes Q Series order
By Mary Kirby
Carrier discusses Dash 8 deal for Piedmont division
US Airways may replace one of its feeder airlines' large fleet of Bombardier Dash 8s with the new-generation Q Series models, providing further evidence of a revival in the US turboprop market.

According to a newsletter from the US major to its employees, published earlier this month, US Airways is in preliminary talks with Bombardier over a potential order for Dash 8 Q300s and Q400s.

The aircraft are being studied as possible replacements for the older-generation Dash 8s in operation at US Airways regional subsidiary Piedmont Airlines, which according to Flight's ACAS database operates 72 Dash 8s - 48 -100s, 12 Q200s and 12 Q300s.

US Airways stresses it is in "the very early stages of that [review] and we have a lot of time to make that decision, so it will be some time before we do". Piedmont - an all-Dash 8 operator - feeds US Airways' US East Coast hubs at Charlotte, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Washington Dulles.

In May, Continental Airlines signalled that the US market was beginning to reverse its negative stance towards the turboprop when it emerged that it had issued a request for proposals (RFP) to regional carriers to operate 24 new 70-seat turboprops. In recent years, the only major US airline buyer of new turboprops has been Horizon Air, which has a fleet of Q400s.

The 40-saet CRJ is probably the perfect aircraft for OAJ. As I recall, DL took a CRJ50 and pulled 10 seats out, allowing them to carry more bags.

The 40-saet CRJ is probably the perfect aircraft for OAJ. As I recall, DL took a CRJ50 and pulled 10 seats out, allowing them to carry more bags.
I don't think the 40-seat CRJ can carry more bags. That space is still in the cabin, where the first two rows of seats have a plastic covering with stripes that says do not sit or store anything here or something like that.

There was some reason why Delta bought CRJ-200's and installed only 40 seats. The only thing I can remember is that the agreement with the manufacturer prohibits Delta from adding the other 10 seats in the future. Unlike most planes, the bulkhead seats on that aircraft are nice, because you have plenty of legroom.

There should be more baggage capacity on that plane owing to the weight of 10 non-existent passengers being used for baggage (if the limit is MGTOW and not center of gravity or physical space in the hold).

It's just annoying that just because the airport gets a second carrier with 2 flights a day that they OAJ is now on the "map." US will still rule @ OAJ!

I think having two carriers does make a small town feel more like they're "on the map". Not to mention that ATL service creates a lot of new single connection markets (NRT, ICN, SVO, GRU, SCL, etc).