Gate Gourmet Names David N. Siegel

From some of the previous posts on this board some felt he wouldn't be able to work for any company after his job performance an UAIR. Seems he hasn't missed a beat and is going on to do just fine as will all the management at UAIR if it fails. Their skills are transferable to many companies and unfortunately that can't be said for all the employees left.

700UW said:
I wonder how Dave is gonna deal with the Gate Gourmet Employees, seems some of them are IAM Represented by District Lodge 142, funny same District as the US Airways IAM Mechanic and Related.

Gotta love it!
Are there any existing reasons that would require Siegel to negotiate with those Gate Courmet employees represented by District Lodge 142? Has a low-cost food provider entered their market that sells their product at 40% below Gate Courmet's product? Is Gate Courmet financially bleeding to death because their expenses are exceeding revenues? Is so, then Siegel may very well need to negotiate with those employees represented by District Lodge 142. If not, then Siegel has just landed a great job.

Actually, I will bet Dave's biggest problem at Gate Gourmet will be demand. The demand for food on-board airplanes has fallen off a cliff since 9/11. Most airlines have trimmed back their free food service for domestic coach... Many are beginning to sell food rather than just pay for it.

This is partially due to the relative high cost and poor quality of airplane food (relative to restaurants and homemade, etc).

I think its a different ball of wax, although it has potentially the same disasterous outcome. Should be interesting to see how Seigel attacks this problem.

funguy2 said:
Actually, I will bet Dave's biggest problem at Gate Gourmet will be demand. The demand for food on-board airplanes has fallen off a cliff since 9/11. Most airlines have trimmed back their free food service for domestic coach... Many are beginning to sell food rather than just pay for it.

This is partially due to the relative high cost and poor quality of airplane food (relative to restaurants and homemade, etc).

I think its a different ball of wax, although it has potentially the same disasterous outcome. Should be interesting to see how Seigel attacks this problem.
My guess is that he'll package tiny bags of dirt, put it in the same packaging as food, charge the same price, and call it Food Express. ;)

MrAeroMan said:
From some of the previous posts on this board some felt he wouldn't be able to work for any company after his job performance an UAIR. Seems he hasn't missed a beat and is going on to do just fine as will all the management at UAIR if it fails. Their skills are transferable to many companies and unfortunately that can't be said for all the employees left.
AeroMan,

Good thing "nepatism" is alive and well....Dave's best friend happens to be CEO of TPG....you don't think that might have had something to do with his "job qualification/application"?..... :lol: :lol: :lol: Nahhhhhh!

We shall soon see USAirways on the "list" of main customers.. After all, Dave still owns U stock...1.47 million shares he will be able to exercise January of 2005.

PITMTC said:
You can focus on it all you want. What happens today is not going to change what happened yesterday.
As far as learning from the past: I have learned that these parachutes happen when these top guys are hired, they have lawyers assisting them with their employment contract and these employment contract types will not change. Do you think Dave S. went to his new job with no parachute? Do you think his new employer read these boads and said, I am not going to get fooled by this guy, his former employees showed me a lot? No.
Therefore, since this is not one of those "learn from the past so as to not make the same mistakes in the future", type of issues that I am not in control of, I will make decisions on MY future based on what I think is best for ME. Not what I think is fare or just for THEM or what they will or wont get from me.
Don't you see my point?
I'm sure it's just American capitalism, and legal, and all that.

Is it right?

PITbull said:
AeroMan,

Good thing "nepatism" is alive and well....Dave's best friend happens to be CEO of TPG....you don't think that might have had something to do with his "job qualification/application"?..... :lol: :lol: :lol: Nahhhhhh!

We shall soon see USAirways on the "list" of main customers.. After all, Dave still owns U stock...1.47 million shares he will be able to exercise January of 2005.
Pitbull,

While you call it "nepatism" others call it networking. I'm sure it helps that he had a friend at TPG but one would venture to guess it wasn't just a friendship that made him choose Dave. He's a talented exec despite the feelings of most of the employees about him and his career will not be hindered in the business world because of his days at UAIR. If anything his stature was elevated because he got UAIR two more years than most people ever thought they would last.

Now if he can supply meals to UAIR at a lower cost with better quality then his company deserves the contract. If not then they don't. My opinion.

Personally, i have nothing against Dave S. Its business. i just didn't respect the deceptive way he manuvered labor...and then to come off as 'labor friendly' was the biggest farce. There is no respect in that. He was not a noble person or sincere. He chased the $$$ for himself, and it became evident early on. And i did not respect his 'circle' of trustees that were kniving and trite, and folks that did not keep their 'word' with labor. They dealt in 'bad faith' and everyone finally caught on that trust was not their strong suit. This is bad for any business.

I had many exchanges with Dave, and we did spar, but i wish him well. For real. :up: