Goldman, Sachs & Co Resumes Uair

What's interesting is that some United employees post more on the US Airways board than on the United board. Moreover, if my comments had no merit than why would the United employees continuously post rebuttals?

Furthermore, with Siegel repeatedly stating a corporate transaction is "inevitable" for US Airways and Morgan Stanley evidently receiving merger overtures, which could come from Northwest and/or AMR, a deal with either of these carriers could place United in a precarious position. In fact, such a merger could prove to be lethal for the Elk Grove Township-based airline.

In regard to David Bronner and Dave Siegel comments bu United employees, it's interesting they're throwing stones at our company's leaders when in January United had an operational loss of over $6 million per day and a net loss of over $8 million per day. Obviously, that's an incredible loss for a company and its employees who took deep cuts and cannot get the bankruptcy court to provide definitive POR submission extension(s).

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Ya know, Clue, it's true that he has a hard time predicting that the sun will come up, let alone how US Airways will do in the next quarter. That fact notwithstanding, it seems pretty clear that the industry is in a state of flux, much like it was in the mid-'80s. Well, it's not the same sort of flux, but it is a flux nonetheless.

It ends up being much like major climate changes on species. Suddenly, the old rules don't apply, many species die out, new ones replace them, and life goes on.

Consolidation of one sort or another does appear to be inevitable. I'm sure not gonna put any money on a US/UA merger, but I'd put money that one of the "big six" won't be around to see Christmas 2005. Maybe it'll be a merger, maybe just ceasing operations. But right now there are too many airlines in this country to all survive. Those that are well-suited to the new state of affairs in the industry will thrive. Those that are not will cease to exist.

Pilot,

I'm baffled as to why you keep beating this drum. Honestly. UA buying US would be like a sinking ship deciding to take on additional ballast. If the UA BOD decides to approve that deal, I hope their shareholders file suit for violating fiduciary responsibility.

mweiss said:
Ya know, Clue, it's true that he has a hard time predicting that the sun will come up, let alone how US Airways will do in the next quarter. That fact notwithstanding, it seems pretty clear that the industry is in a state of flux, much like it was in the mid-'80s. Well, it's not the same sort of flux, but it is a flux nonetheless.
People have been saying the same thing since 1979 (about consolidation). It's nothing new.

Siegel says it (and the folks who pleasure themselves at the thought of a merger with United repeat it) in the hopes of a self-fulfulling prophecy. That's not going to happen for US--Little Dave and Company simply lack the acumen to make it happen. This has been demonstrated by the remarkable lack of foresight and leadership he's displayed thus far.

Consolidation is inevitable. Short of a major miracle, it won't be US merging with United, buying United, merging with anyone else, or buying anyone else. It's going to be a Chapter 7 proceeding, where OAs are picking over the carcass of US. Thoughts and postulations otherwise are simply wishfull thinking (and a healthy dose of spin). In light of the fact that Morgan Stanley has already been engaged as the "auctioneer," I don't see how the UCT folks can spin this particular fact away.

USA320Pilot said:
What's interesting is that some United employees post more on the US Airways board than on the United board. Moreover, if my comments had no merit than why would the United employees continuously post rebuttals?
What's even more interesting is that every time someone proves that your speculations are wrong, you redirect the conversation and cry fowl play.

Poor you... the victim of the evil UA employees who contradict your "indisputable truths."

There is a term for that kind of behavior that starts with an "N", but I won't mention it here for fear of being banished to the corn field. :D

What's even more interesting is that every time someone proves that your speculations are wrong, you redirect the conversation and cry fowl play.

SOUNDS LIKE AN OLD MANAGEMENT TACTIC TO ME. :lol:

USA320Pilot said:
Furthermore, with Siegel repeatedly stating a corporate transaction is "inevitable" for US Airways and Morgan Stanley evidently receiving merger overtures, which could come from Northwest and/or AMR, ..............
Regards,

USA320Pilot
With the TWA debacle fresh in everyone's minds I think the chances of AMR merging with U is somewhere between slim and none. Hell, there were PO'd employees when it came out that AMR was interested in some of your assets, let alone any sort of merger.

Let me make a few points clear:

1. I do not believe United Airlines will buy US Airways, but that could change.

2. I do not want to merge with United Airlines.

3. US Airways will be involved in a corporate transaction, provided labor participates in the "Going Forward Plan."

4. With United's enormous loss in January, I'm now less confident they will ever emerge from bankruptcy.

5. After two years of studying Dave Siegel and having a number of conversations with him on our jumpeseat (5 times), I know that he signals all of his moves with third-party communications (email messages, news media comments, airport conversations, speeches, etc.).

Now, let's put some facts into perspective:

1. According to the WSJ, the triage now under way revolves around talks with the federal board that provided $900 million of guarantees to back the $1 billion bankruptcy-exit loan. US Airways is hoping to restructure the deal so it can stay in compliance with covenants that will be measured on June 30. "We'll do anything to comply with the loan," says Mr. Siegel. That could involve paying down some of the principal early with cash on hand or with proceeds from assets sales. The loan board declined to comment.

2. Then the WSJ said Dave Siegel won't comment on whether US Airways has been approached by a potential buyer. He says his focus is on fixing the company on a stand-alone basis, "so we're a more attractive partner" when the "necessary, logical and inevitable" consolidation occurs.

Meanwhile, it appears the "Going Forward Plan" has three purposes:

1. Comply with loan guarantee covenants and to do so the airline will renegotiate RJ socpe issues with ALPA and then sell non-core assets, which will also make the carrier a more attractive merger candidate.

2. Lower unit costs through a number of initiatives, then once complete enter into a corporate transaction.

What's interesting is that the transaction may not involve United Airlines, US Airways may have to pull out of the United domestic and Star Alliances, which could be very damaging to the Chicago-based carrier.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Just one more point...for the past few months I have said that the corporate focus has shifted and the new strategy was to stabilize US Airways' finances, then a corporate combination could occur, but consolidation was inevitable.

That still holds true.

Interestingly, it appears US Airways may have a number of options, which may or may not include United Airlines. If US Airways seeks a remedy other than United and pulls out of its current alliances, what would that do to United's bankruptcy, POR, and loan guarantee application?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Who here would not be interested in a merger with UAL givin they can fix their problems and they have a few. I for one would not like it if we had to take on all their problems but in the right senerio I think it would be huge.

But I see one big problem our two employee groups can't get past the senority issues. I don't want to see anybody lose their job at UAL it would be sad to see another big airline fall at the waste side because of silly issues. I for one would like to see both airline survive together or appart anything to stop these carcus feeding LLC's from getting any bigger......

Doc:

United Airlines and its employees have badly hurt their company over the seniority issue, but with the company burning through $ 6 million per day in January, after all of their cuts, and rumors the ATSB will not approve their loan guarantee again, without further modification, the company could be a sitting time bomb.

Moreover, if US Airways and Northwest merge and US Airways dumps United as its code share partner, United would be in a very precarious position.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Ill admit Im confused now. Where did NWA come from ? What has changed since a few weeks ago?

Do you now see what everyone has been saying about a certain pilot/poster?

Latest posts