Good Job US...At Least In One Facet

Except.....you are implying this is solely my failure....it is not, was not.

Could I have gathered my boarding pass and gone STRAIGHT to the F-Class security line? Possibly avoiding a problem? Sure, I guess I could have done that...but what if the line was already a mess?

And you see, that's the real issue here....the line was being f-ed up by airline crews and handicapped folk, cutting the line. If the line works the way it's supposed to, I have no issues.

At the end of the day, this is a customer service issue. And the customer is not some once a year traveler. For $40K in business personally, plus a bunch for employees and family, I truly don't think its too difficult for an airplane to be held for a moment or two. And yes, to answer your question, an airplane CAN close out 3 minutes late, 5 minutes late...there is enough padding in the schedule.

And I agree with tadjr...there are more issues then one can shake a stick at....but closing out 8 minutes early....when its VERY possible that person is in the airport, probably close by is not right.
Well unfortunately maybe you should also be complaining to the airport authority for not creating a crew line. We've been howling and b!tching for years to have a dedicated crew line and the answer (most of the time) is NO!!! When you're in a hub city like that with airline crews trying to get to their flights to WORK it's a catch 22. Would you like to stand in line for 30-50minutes in the am or at lunch time just to get into your office building? Probably not. Just the same as the crews do not want to stand in line for an eternity getting stares and snarls from angry passengers who may or not be pushing their luck and have possibly been standing in line for an hour +. I'm certainly not knocking you or telling you how to spend your time but please know that we do not enjoy having to "cut" the line when we are not even on the clock so that we can get your flight out on time. Little does everyone know what a crewmember goes through in a day just to make a 45 minute flight get off the ground. You can probably add another 2-4 hours of their day (not paid) to that 45 minutes. Please do not be angry with the flight crews on this particular day for what could be deemed as poor planning on your part (and the airport). Sundays are historically large volume travel days for LAS and are well known for long lines and sold out flights.

van glad you made it ya think there is a problem one good thing leprechaun wasnt working cause you she deals with irate passengers all the time and its always your fault your late and dont forget spin doc you know, you have to meet check in requirements before your allowed to fly on his airline

Could I have gathered my boarding pass and gone STRAIGHT to the F-Class security line? Possibly avoiding a problem? Sure, I guess I could have done that...but what if the line was already a mess?

And you see, that's the real issue here....the line was being f-ed up by airline crews and handicapped folk, cutting the line. If the line works the way it's supposed to, I have no issues.
At the end of the day, this is a customer service issue. And the customer is not some once a year traveler. For $40K in business personally, plus a bunch for employees and family, I truly don't think its too difficult for an airplane to be held for a moment or two. And yes, to answer your question, an airplane CAN close out 3 minutes late, 5 minutes late...there is enough padding in the schedule.

And I agree with tadjr...there are more issues then one can shake a stick at....but closing out 8 minutes early....when its VERY possible that person is in the airport, probably close by is not right.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So let me get this straight....You mr. has a Big Watch (Brightling) "Hint to the Ladies, big watch/ small ......" think your not only above handicap people, but you have a problem with the flt crews going thru security?? Ill be glad to get in line behind all of you, and wait my turn.....Just pay me for it!!

Actually Id rather just go behind you and watch you look at your Big Brightling while we take a delayed departure while the flight crew does their preflight checks since they had to wait for poor little you in the security line.....

What I really want to know is why does everyone blame the Airines for closing flights too early? Why isn't anybody questioning the TSA/airports as to why it takes so long to get through security? Whether it's the airlines or the passengers? I too, have stood in line waiting for 30+minutes because PHX had one, yes one, security line going for crews, first class, airport employees,regular passengers, and the handicapped. If you are delayed at security it's not the airlines fault, but I don't think alot of passengers realize this. TSA could care less if you're late and miss your flight because of them. There are no consequences for them, no compensation is demanded of the TSA and they sure as heck don't provide you with documentation showing you were delayed because of them. What I don't understand is why the airlines and passengers, who support each individual airport don't ask for more efficient security lines? Can anyody shed some light ont this????

For the last 25+ years I have worked in the industry, there has ALWAYS been a note in the Ticket Jacket that Reads ... If you do not present yourself TEN MINUTES prior to scheduled departure time at the Gate, Your reservation is CANCELED ! Two Questions.... 1) Why should the other 185 Passengers have to wait on YOU (They were on -time)? 2) Do you show up for a Big Meeting at the Scheduled Meeting Time or a Job Interview? You SHOULD be at the Gate withing 10 minutes before SCHEDULED Departure, is that too much to ask? I understand things happen and most of the time the Agents do their best to help the passengers, BUT the passengers need to understand what the Company wants them to do.

<SNIP> Actually Id rather just go behind you and watch you look at your Big Brightling while we take a delayed departure while the flight crew does their preflight checks since they had to wait for poor little you in the security line.....
Dump on the FFs, that’s the road to success.

I bought a Brightling watch at the Rogers Sale. It turned my wrist green.

So let me get this straight....You mr. has a Big Watch (Brightling) "Hint to the Ladies, big watch/ small ......" think your not only above handicap people, but you have a problem with the flt crews going thru security?? Ill be glad to get in line behind all of you, and wait my turn.....Just pay me for it!!

Actually Id rather just go behind you and watch you look at your Big Brightling while we take a delayed departure while the flight crew does their preflight checks since they had to wait for poor little you in the security line.....

LOL :shock: LOL :shock: LOL :shock: LOL :shock: LOL

Okay...first off....let's learn how to spell Breitling. Its really not that much of a "Big Watch." Its just a watch....why am I catching sh*t for having a Breitling? And how many "big watches" have you tied to "small ....."? Are ou a meat gazer? LOL

Next, lets put the crack pipe down....deep breaths in, deep breaths out.....I'm not "above" handicapped people.

Man alive...nevermind.....too many thoughts come to mind....

For the last 25+ years I have worked in the industry, there has ALWAYS been a note in the Ticket Jacket that Reads ... If you do not present yourself TEN MINUTES prior to scheduled departure time at the Gate, Your reservation is CANCELED ! Two Questions.... 1) Why should the other 185 Passengers have to wait on YOU (They were on -time)?

ANSWER: Because...they are STILL going to make their connections....and in PHLthy...that extra 5 minutes just might help them get their bags..

Wanna guess how many times I've had to wait on "185 passengers" to get from their late in-bound flight from (insert your favorite Caribbean city code here) to my connection? They can wait on my sorry a$$.

Next question...

2) Do you show up for a Big Meeting at the Scheduled Meeting Time or a Job Interview?

ANSWER: YES! You bet your a$$ I do. Ever got hung in traffic? Ever had something out of your control happen? Kids sick? Spouse unable to help?

Do I want a customer to wait 2 hours for me? No.

Not one time EVER have I suggested anything other then for US to be just a tad bit more aware that an extra 5 minutes...or 10 minutes...will be okay.

5 or 10 minutes as long as it's not impacting their biz? You betchya. Know why? 'Cause I'm bringing them VALUE....as in $829.30....when the rest of your a$$ kicking kettles are bringing the DP righteoous $99.99. (Which he and apparently YOU are okay with....cool, knock yourself out.)

You SHOULD be at the Gate withing 10 minutes before SCHEDULED Departure, is that too much to ask? I understand things happen and most of the time the Agents do their best to help the passengers, BUT the passengers need to understand what the Company wants them to do.

And that makes you God? Or just hooked up to a kool-aid IV?

C'mon...you can hit me with better than that....

ANSWER: Because...they are STILL going to make their connections....and in PHLthy...that extra 5 minutes just might help them get their bags..

Wanna guess how many times I've had to wait on "185 passengers" to get from their late in-bound flight from (insert your favorite Caribbean city code here) to my connection? They can wait on my sorry a$$.

Next question...
ANSWER: YES! You bet your a$$ I do. Ever got hung in traffic? Ever had something out of your control happen? Kids sick? Spouse unable to help?

Do I want a customer to wait 2 hours for me? No.

Not one time EVER have I suggested anything other then for US to be just a tad bit more aware that an extra 5 minutes...or 10 minutes...will be okay.

5 or 10 minutes as long as it's not impacting their biz? You betchya. Know why? 'Cause I'm bringing them VALUE....as in $829.30....when the rest of your a$$ kicking kettles are bringing the DP righteoous $99.99. (Which he and apparently YOU are okay with....cool, knock yourself out.)
And that makes you God? Or just hooked up to a kool-aid IV?

C'mon...you can hit me with better than that....
Okay, how bout this... Don't expect the F/C line to be short, or get thru quickly. Do not care if crew members go up to the front to be cleared, we have to be at the airplane 45 minutes prior. The West fa's have to go thru security in LAS. If the club is not past security, skip it! When you had the chance to go thru with nobody in line, you made the mistake not to take the opportunity. The rule is 10 minutes, period. Look after number one, you, and don't make assumptions they are going to wait! Is that better? :up:

By the way, what does PHX have to do with this thread?? All the clubs are past security, 3 total. The lines are not as long, usually. And our gate agents are pretty darn good at there jobs.

Herein lies another problem. What IS the time limit for us to hold for you? Are we sure you're only going to be 5 minutes or is it maybe going to be 10 or just 12 today? We dont know where everyone is and cant predict when they will arrive. What about the lady that printed out her boarding passes and then took another flight? What was the time we should have waited for her? (Can see a planeload of people from last Thurs still waiting in PHL for her to show up. :ph34r: ). Problem is we are not mind readers and can not tell when/if someone might show up so your assumption is that we know where everyone is and should wait just a couple more minutes for them, when in reality we have people miss the flights all the time (and not by just a couple minutes). Who do we decide to wait for and who not? And how do we know that waiting 5 minutes today WILL guarantee an on time arrival in PHL if we happen to push and are now number 2 for takeoff, but tomorrow a 5 min late push will put us behind 8 planes meaning we will now arrive late in PHL? Crap shoot and unfortunately we dont always make schedule, but without a time for us to attempt to make schedule, we might as well just say we'll leave sometime on Tuesday and good luck.

Crap shoot and unfortunately we dont always make schedule, but without a time for us to attempt to make schedule, we might as well just say we'll leave sometime on Tuesday and good luck.
See, I really do agree with you...for the most part.

My point is not to make it S.O.P.

My point is that, first off, leaving 8 minutes early when there is someone checked in and in the airport....who is making a connection and the originating, connecting aircraft is de-planed is just not right. Is it policy? Yes. Were the gate agents in question doing what they were told and how they were cached? Yes.

Does that make it right? Not necessarily.

And for me, I mean, this group can trash me and act all pi$$ed with me....but at the end of the day, I don't think guys like me are walking around, all over the place. Yes, there are bigger and higher spending customers.....but one guy who controls roughly $100K in travel dollars between myself, our employees and family isn't "chopped liver."

I'd just prefer a little love and not buttoning the airplane up early and leaving without me...or giving my seat away.

Here's another way to look at it....

We ALL know that F in US NEVER goes out with a vacancy....That would have meant that my $823.90 ticket would essentially become a Y ticket on US...even though I bought and paid for F. Now, that ticket was fully refundable. So, had that happened to me, I would have simply said, "well, if I'm going to be crammed and squished, I might as well go over to WN and be crammed and squished....for less than half the price." I would have gotten my money refunded and then gone over the WN and taken yet another trip on them over US. The company isn't going to go out of business losing my $823.90, but the seat would likely be filled with someone who paid a LOT less....or a non-rev....how does that make good business sense? It doesn't.

In my case on Sunday, the agent would have been COMPLETELY within her right to give my seat away and deny me the boarding opportunity....she did not. It was appreciated and I thanked her for holding for me. And maybe my CP status meant something? Maybe it did not....maybe she was just behind, period, and it had nothing to do with me. From my vantage point, a high yielding customer who is loyal enough to do 100,000 miles deserves it. How many customers does US have that don't rely on the upgrades and instead truly buys it? I'd bet, less than 5%.

Let me put it this way: If I was in charge or it was VanTheMan63, Inc., you can bet every dollar in your bank account I would do two things: (a.) get to know and understand my best customer to the best of my ability and (b.) do whatever I could, within reason, to keep them happy and continue earning their money.

I promise you with every ounce of my fiber, this management team has done NONE of that.

You can toss out every "but we can't" you want. The bottom line is, this: "Don't leave early when someone is checked in" and the other situations can be dealt with on a case by case basis.

With that, I suppose I've said all I can say on the subject matter....

Van
It all about the stats. Ever since the Goverment started keeping the stats about on time it seems to be the only thing management really cares about. Local managers are on our a$$ about getting the flights out on time regardless of what inconvenience it causes. The actual flight times were padded to give a larger window to make the flight on time.

Holding a flight is always an intersting topic. I can't remember a time (on any airline) that a plane was held for me in the past five years, yet I have had many leave (<10 min before) departure time with me in the airport.

Aout 1 1/2 years ago I was flying from SYR-PHL-MHT on the first flight of the day about $800.00 One way full Y to get the Chairmain's guaranteed seat.

The Capt. said he was holding the plane 10 min. for people who were still in the long security line. This was Fri. AM of the start of Spring Break for SYR Univ. The decision made sense to me at first since I knew all other flights out the airport (all airlines) were booked, and those in the line could not be re-accomadeted.

Well 10 minutes went to 20, and we left. Then there was a ground delay beacuse of a problem with a small aircraft @ SYR.

Neadless to say, I missed my connection at PHL, and I was pi$$ed, because the flight was held for people who did not plan for a long line on a very busy day.

My one way was probably more than three of the RT of the spring breakers. So what makes them more important the me? I planned ahead, and missed my connection beacuse of others not planning ahead.

Again I did agree with the Capt. initial decision to wait 10 min. But with the futher delay a good decision went bad.

My feeling is play by the rules, don't expect the plane to wait for you if it states you will be cancelled if not on board 10 min before departare even if you are in the airport.

Just last week, I was seheduled DTW-TOL, and realized I could drive there faster than waiting 2 hrs. for the connecting flight I was checked in for. I rented a car and drove. I alsohad the courtesy to call NW and tell them I was cancelling the flight. If I did not call they could of delayed the flight for me since I was to be in the airport. The people on the plane would have been mad if it was delayed for a "check-in" customer whonever showed.