Trip Report US 58 LAS-JFK

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I am writing from the club at LAS, where I have just been warmly greeted by the nice folks at the desk. It is relatively peaceful here compared to the check in lines downstairs.

Now I am not sure it is usually this busy around 8-9PM on a Sunday night, but the regular line is out the door but moving--credit due to US management for apparently staffing the coach lines sufficiently, BUT...........

I was 8th or 9th on the F line, and there was effectively only one agent checking in F and preferred customers. There were actually 2 at the position but one was busy reticketing a series of tickets for someone with passports etc. People kept coming in behind the F counter and walking down to help at Y. No problem with that except by the time I got to the check in the young lady agreed she could use some help, and I offered to tell someone about it.

Also when I left, the F line was about 20-30 deep, and curved around behind the coach check in line.

Again, while I applaud the efforts to check people in efficiently, I have to question only having 1 person for the F line--again it shows where the apparent priority is NOT.

Just observing--notes on the actual flight to follow....

What would it have taken for you to use on line check in ?
I don't usually check in online when I'm away as I don't carry a printer with me, and don't always trust the kiosks these days, especially if an upgrade is in question. But I'm wondering...in this case is the LAS club still outside security? Could you have checked in there?

I usually don't check in on line while away, and especially in LAS-the hotel did not have a business center. A competing airline has the option to fax boarding passes, which I used once--that was a good idea. So I hope that clears up that end of it.

Back to the trip--another good experience in flight. Boarded promptly, the flight appeared to be oversold, the gate staff handled themselves very well-the whole terminal was overcrowded, yet things worked as they should.

On board, the FA's were very pleasant and chipper for a late night flight--the F FA made a joke to a customer who did not appreciate the humor, so we knew we had one grouch in F. We joked about it after the fact, and from then on she kept a special eye on me. During the flight we talked about FFOCUS and some of the issues FF's are facing-she gave me some insight from the West side.

Since I chose to sleep for a good part of the flight (and was able to, indicating that I really am getting old), not much more to tell other than an early arrival at JFK (the LENDY arrival gives a good view of NYC during the descent). Into my car, and on my way home.

Other than the observations at LAS, a routine if not very satisfying experience--plus I had the Glenlivet (which West has had for a long time).

My best to you all...