GSO (PTI) - New Fares and possible growth?

http://www.shareholder.com/americawest/Rel...eleaseID=187373

US Airways Lowers Fares To 33 Cities From PTI

PTI is first of airline's East Coast non-hub airports to have a wholesale permanently lower fare structure put in place

TEMPE, Ariz., Feb. 13, 2006 — US Airways (NYSE: LCC) announced today that Piedmont Triad International Airport (PTI) is the first of its non-hub airports to have permanently reduced fares as part of the airline's new restructured low-fare program. Effective today,

US Airways' fares from PTI are reduced to 33 cities by as much as 66% in some markets. The expansion of the airline's new restructured low fares at PTI is the next step in US Airways' ongoing reduction in fares to East Coast markets. Fares are available immediately and can be booked at www.usairways.com, by calling 800-428-4322 or through a travel agent.

"We continue to see positive customer response to our lower-fare initiatives and we are generating higher revenues for US Airways in the markets where we've lowered fares," said Scott Kirby, executive vice president, sales and marketing. "The Triad community has been an important part of the US Airways network since our beginning, and we're pleased that PTI is our first non-hub airport for permanently reduced low business and leisure fares.

Heard a rumor today, Usairways plans a much larger operation in GSO, will cut fares at or below those of Southwest out of RDU. The words "low cost focus city" were used? Has anyone else hear this, or is it just wishful thinking?

But will there be ANY inventory allocated for these discount classes? My last 4 ticket purchases were on other airlines because US' price was 4X the competition.

And I'm talking bookings that were planned MONTHS in advance.

Heard a rumor today, Usairways plans a much larger operation in GSO, will cut fares at or below those of Southwest out of RDU. The words "low cost focus city" were used? Has anyone else hear this, or is it just wishful thinking?

Hopefully it's more than a rumor and they will go back to GSO-PIT 3x daily with Air Whiskey RJ's. It's pretty tough to get to PIT these days on any type of rational schedule without driving to CLT or connecting in Philthy or DCA. It takes 6 hours to drive from GSO to PIT, and with the current schedule, it takes 4.5 hours including a connection.

Jeez, I swear these people can't write a press release. First, they ignored the East for FOUR MONTHS. Now, they issue things like this. Note that the word "Greensboro" doesn't appear one single lousy time in the entire press release, title or body. Key words like that are what gets these things noticed and picked up by news outlets. And it's not an insignificant little word, it's the freaking name of the city! Not everyone knows what PTI is, especially in the title of the press release without any context.

I'm telling you, my BOS-PUJ press release is looking better every day.

Hate to see that LGA is not on the list.....

I'm sure it's not by accident. They'll continue to charge up the nose where they can, don't worry.

But will there be ANY inventory allocated for these discount classes? My last 4 ticket purchases were on other airlines because US' price was 4X the competition.

And I'm talking bookings that were planned MONTHS in advance.

Sure there will be. Just so long as you're not travelling on a blackout date. Don't worry, there are just a few. "Travel is not valid: 2006: March 10, 12, 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26; April 2, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 21, 22, 23, 30; May 14, 18, 19, 21, 25, 26, 29; June 4, 8, 9, 11, 15, 16, 18, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30; July 1, 5, 9, 13, 14, 16, 17, 20, 21, 23, 27, 28, 30, 31; August 6, 13, 20; October 15, 22; November 12, 22, 26, 27; December 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31; 2007: January 1, 2, 3."

Hopefully it's more than a rumor and they will go back to GSO-PIT 3x daily with Air Whiskey RJ's. It's pretty tough to get to PIT these days on any type of rational schedule without driving to CLT or connecting in Philthy or DCA. It takes 6 hours to drive from GSO to PIT, and with the current schedule, it takes 4.5 hours including a connection.

GSO-PIT should be run with Dash 8's.

They'll continue to charge up the nose where they can, don't worry.
Sure there will be. Just so long as you're not travelling on a blackout date. Don't worry, there are just a few. "Travel is not valid: 2006: March 10, 12, 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26; April 2, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 21, 22, 23, 30; May 14, 18, 19, 21, 25, 26, 29; June 4, 8, 9, 11, 15, 16, 18, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30; July 1, 5, 9, 13, 14, 16, 17, 20, 21, 23, 27, 28, 30, 31; August 6, 13, 20; October 15, 22; November 12, 22, 26, 27; December 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31; 2007: January 1, 2, 3."

Yeah. Be wary of companies like US that speak out of both sides of their mouth. US has publicly stated that they want to be a low cost carrier with a simplified fare structure, yet they restrict the lowest fares so much, that you need a friggen law degree to even read all of the small print. The goal is really to play the Southwest game, and that is to create the perception that your fares are lower than your competition, while at the same time working toward the middle to generate higher average revenue. It's a shell game at best. If they really want to capture a larger share of the market, US needs to simplify their fare restrictions.

GSO-PIT should be run with Dash 8's.

Okay. I can live with that. The DH8 is well suited for the GSO-PIT market. Even the J41 was not bad. Anything is better than connecting. Right now, there is just no way to justify saving a mere 1.5 hours to fly to PIT with a connection versus driving.

Yeah. Be wary of companies like US that speak out of both sides of their mouth. US has publicly stated that they want to be a low cost carrier with a simplified fare structure, yet they restrict the lowest fares so much, that you need a friggen law degree to even read all of the small print. The goal is really to play the Southwest game, and that is to create the perception that your fares are lower than your competition, while at the same time working toward the middle to generate higher average revenue. It's a shell game at best. If they really want to capture a larger share of the market, US needs to simplify their fare restrictions.

Can I get an "Amen?" Anyone for Three Card Monte?

"Continental Lite" deja vu. If true, hope it works better for US/HP than it did for CO.

"Continental Lite" deja vu. If true, hope it works better for US/HP than it did for CO.
It should since they ONCE were king of the hill in GSO...
That is for a while after the PI/US merger anyway,until the CCY Brains gave it all away to DL.. :down:

Jeez, I swear these people can't write a press release.

You shouldn't critcize Tempe. They are very sensitive. You must just be an arrogant customer, otherwise, you would just be happy that they have pretended to lower fares in a city now dominated by an airline on the brink of liquidation.

Latest posts