Heard A Rumor

operaations

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Ok everyone this is a rumor I heard while talking to a pilot friend of mine. Of course it is one that started from a friend of a friend of a husbands brothers wife..so it probably is not true but anyway here goes.
I heard that AA is going to purchase over 100 737 soon. It seem unrealsitic to see that but alot of things seem unrealisitc. Has anyone else heard such an insane rumor

AA already has 12 737s scheduled for delivery in 2006. Unless Boeing is giving away 737s, it is a certainty that AA will not order any additional aircraft until it shows 2 or 3 years (or more) of profits. Count on that.

FA Mikey said:
Dont we have a hundred already on order? Delivery schedules just pushed back.
The financials show orders for a total of 47 737-800s to be delivered between 2006 and 2010 (including the dozen I mentioned for 2006); there may be others already on order for delivery after 2010, but if so, AMR didn't list them in its financials.

Don't forget the 737's AA wet leased to Qantas! AA wet leased approx. 53 to them after they found out they couldn't cancel or delay the deliveries on them.

For the AA planes that are wet leased to Qantas, how often do the crews get back to the mainland? How long are the a/c wet leased to Qantas? Are any of the wet leased a/c equipped with winglets? Just wondering out loud...........

coolflyingfool said:
For the AA planes that are wet leased to Qantas, how often do the crews get back to the mainland? How long are the a/c wet leased to Qantas? Are any of the wet leased a/c equipped with winglets? Just wondering out loud...........
They aren't wet leased; QF purchased and took delivery of 15 738s that AA was to accept during 2002. QF owns them, flies them with QF crews, and painted them in QF livery. They aren't AA's planes. Yep, they have winglets.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/498..._qantas10.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1625516.stm

http://airtransportbiz.free.fr/Fleets/QF738.html

FWAAA and coolflying,

Yes, AA did wet lease several 737's to Qantas. I confirmed it last this morning on my turn with the Captain. It was a way for AA to make extra $$$. He thinks they got around 23 planes on the deal. He said the rest of them Qantas bought from Boeing.

Take care

Okay WRX, I will ask you. If AA did in fact wet lease a/c to Qantas, how are the crews getting back and forth to the mainland and how are the bids worked? My personal opinion is that it would be far cheaper for Qantas to use their own crews vs. AA crews. thanks and have a good day.

coolflying,

I have no idea how that works. The pilot said it happened, so who knows. I usually never believe what a pilot says anyway. If I fly with him again, I will ask for you.

Fly safe

To supplement what FWAAA and FA Mikey mentioned above, I seem to recall that AA negotiated purchase rights( same as options??)for several hundred more 737 airframes later on. Now those options may have been shoved so far forward now that they are not in the financials..I dunno.

(also some of those options/rights included 757's,767s and 777's I believe)

But I seem to remember a bit about it in the press at the time that indicated the options for the future would cover the eventual replacement of the MD-80 fleet and growth. I am not suggesting that the MD-80's are being replaced soon..I highly doubt that.

If my memory serves correctly the first ones came on in either 83 or early 84. ( someone have the exact date?) THat workhorse should be serving AA for a number of years to come...a lot of years if you figure the recent addition of some very new TWA MD-80s.

Since Boeing is offering a 717-300..it might be interesting to see if it makes it into the fleet some time in the future.

TAN 767 300 said:
To supplement what FWAAA and FA Mikey mentioned above, I seem to recall that AA negotiated purchase rights( same as options??)for several hundred more 737 airframes later on. Now those options may have been shoved so far forward now that they are not in the financials..I dunno.

(also some of those options/rights included 757's,767s and 777's I believe)

But I seem to remember a bit about it in the press at the time that indicated the options for the future would cover the eventual replacement of the MD-80 fleet and growth. I am not suggesting that the MD-80's are being replaced soon..I highly doubt that.

If my memory serves correctly the first ones came on in either 83 or early 84. ( someone have the exact date?) THat workhorse should be serving AA for a number of years to come...a lot of years if you figure the recent addition of some very new TWA MD-80s.

Since Boeing is offering a 717-300..it might be interesting to see if it makes it into the fleet some time in the future.
Correct. In November, 1996, AA ordered 75 737s, 12 777s, 12 757s and 4 767-300s. Later, AA ordered additional 777s and 737s. Following the TWA acquisition, AA ordered 9 more 767-300s to replace the PW powered TWA models. AA obtained "purchase rights" (roughly the same as options) on 425 737s (in addition to some more 777s, 757s and 767-300s). The details can be read here:

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/1996/n...ase.961121.html

AA received its first MD-80 in 1981, with many delivered in 1983-1991. I would expect to see them slowly retired as AA recovers.

The stretch 717-300? It is essentially an MD-80. Too bad Carty disliked the 717-200 (its demise was sealed even before September 11).

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of AA buying the larger 90 or 100 pax RJs instead of the 717.

And the wet-leased 737s? QF bought them from Boeing prior to their delivery to AA. AA never took title to them, and certainly isn't leasing them to Qantas.

I doubt Qantas's unions would ever allow wet leased AA 737's. The 737 were originally ordered by AA but taken by Qantas because they were available right away, no waiting, and given the post 9/11 pricing emviroment they got a deal. Australian unions are much stronger then US or UK unions. The Reagon/Thatcher pro business atittude of the 1980's didn't make to Australia.

Labor & Jobs are higher considerations in Aussie then in the good ole USA or Tory England. God save the Queen & AA, but not Tony Blair.