High School Career Day

luvn737s said:
If they like to fly, that's great. If they think about Uncle Bill who flew 747's for Pan Am and think that that type of glamorous career is still available, or that the cost of training and preparation will be offset by a lucrative and secure career, then they should be told the truth.

[post="246252"][/post]​

I wasn't advocating lying but telling truth good and bad and letting them decide. After all one persons lousy career is anothers awesome one. (look at all the applicants for USAirways jobs). Just as some people may enjoy working fast food or wal-mart. I would think with the state of affairs at airlines it has trickled down that the jobs just are not what they used to be or if it hasn't it certainly will.

usairways_vote_NO said:
Another note they actually have to work their .. off. They get paid for 40 hours of work quite a difference?
[post="246217"][/post]​
I don't understand what you're trying to say???

luvn737s said:
If they like to fly there are plenty of jobs towing banners and spraying crops that let you fly as much as you want.
[post="246252"][/post]​
Man-oh-man...you can get killed doing that. I know a pilot who left Piedmont and is flying one of the fractional ownerships. He loves it.

Must have been nice with all the DC-9, MD-80, F100 and F28 pilots getting paid for not flying since the company grounded those fleet types while we were on strike.

Pitguy and 700,

Come on guys, this " SCAB" talk just doesnt work and it has been pointed out a thousand + times on this site.

The pilots r alpa last time i checked, not iam. Not honoring does not make one a scab! If it did then all the other unions that worked would also be scabs but you dont go on and on about that.

As much as you two despise u alpa, why do you cry like babies when they dont help out you out. Both iam and afa are more than capable of fighting thier own fights and do better than alpa. Needing them shows weakness.

FA

GeezLouis said:
Airline mechanics are in the same boat. I have several friends who work for Car dealerships and make around $70,000 a year plus benefits. Something else to consider is that they don't have to worry about losing everything they have because of a mistake they made that causes a plane crash. If they leave a bolt off of an automobile engine, etc, the driver just pulls over and calls a tow truck!

There's no draw to this field anymore in my opinion! :down:
[post="246191"][/post]​
Something else to consider is that they don't have to worry about losing everything they have because of a mistake they made that causes a plane crash. If they leave a bolt off of an automobile engine, etc, the driver just pulls over and calls a tow truck!
car wheel comes off,vehicle with 6 children veers into mack truck...details at 6...

A Trade Union that makes a secret deal with a company not to honor another union's picket line and ALL pilots regardless if they fly or not and will get paid is a SCAB in my eyes.

The numerous pilots that cleaned planes on thru flights during the 30 day cooling off period and during the strike makes them a SCAB!

And don't tell me it did not happen, I was there and witnessed it with my own eyes!

delldude said:
car wheel comes off,vehicle with 6 children veers into mack truck...details at 6...
[post="246499"][/post]​
Delldude,
You are the King of the avatars! Where do you get all of 'em??? I think you missed your calling. :unsure:

700UW said:
A Trade Union that makes a secret deal with a company not to honor another union's picket line and ALL pilots regardless if they fly or not and will get paid is a SCAB in my eyes.

The numerous pilots that cleaned planes on thru flights during the 30 day cooling off period and during the strike makes them a SCAB!

And don't tell me it did not happen, I was there and witnessed it with my own eyes!
[post="246505"][/post]​

Not to be disrespectful 700, but if you were there, wouldn't that make YOU a scab?

I was there during the 30 day cooling off period and we had Fleet and Customer Service Agents letting us know what was going on.

And hate to burst your bubble but I walked the picket line and walked it proudly during Red October.

A major airline first officer is going to wind up making about $80 a year being based in NY, Washington DC, Boston, etc.

What kind of jobs pay $80 a year in a city where the cost of living is enormous and a decent house costs $500-600k?

The reason behind this is that the supply of pilots is WAY over the need and that young copilot on that commuter flight is PERFECTLY willing to fly for dime store wages just to sit in that seat.

Unfortunately, "real" people's wages in this country are deflating while those that control the money at the top are quietly inflating their own expotentially.

Back