hiring in DTW/STL

Myself and several other [former] U employees plus several went to the engine facility down south. Miss the people and the work at times but not the mental brutality of working for an airline who exploits their work force with government backing via bankruptcy laws.
Awesome!!

700IAM,
since you are at GE, do you know why they closed the Ontario,Ca facility but kept the run cell. Where did they send all the work that was taking place in Ontario? Thanks......

700IAM,
since you are at GE, do you know why they closed the Ontario,Ca facility but kept the run cell. Where did they send all the work that was taking place in Ontario? Thanks......
I see some info on the kiosk about the aviation branch of the transportation division for which I work, but I am not in that division so I really can't answer that question. I am sure the top dog who is John Rice knows and probably helped make the decision. They are heavy into what is called [lean] which I am sure played a part. Where the work went I can't tell you, but it was somewhere where [lean fits].

The thing I really love are the pension funds at GE which are all [over] funded and they are [defined] too-boot. The airline industry is just the opposite thanks to the PBGC.

The thing I really love are the pension funds at GE which are all [over] funded and they are [defined] too-boot. The airline industry is just the opposite thanks to the PBGC.

So GE is still offering the defined plan? You are very fortunate and I hope they never change it like fedex did a month ago. fedex said they had "no choice" due to new legislation, rules, or some other crap that had gone through.
It still burns bad, real bad.
Thanks for your previous info, good luck at GE

So GE is still offering the defined plan? You are very fortunate and I hope they never change it like fedex did a month ago. fedex said they had "no choice" due to new legislation, rules, or some other crap that had gone through.
It still burns bad, real bad.
Thanks for your previous info, good luck at GE
Thank you. Let me clarify what I wrote which sounds confusing. GE is BIG and I do work in transportation but I make trains and not aircraft engines where my buddies went. There are several guys from U with me. One was hired back in 93 when he was furloughed and now is a maintenance man making big bucks, he made a very good move back then as his retirement fund is now very big.

I didn't know about FedEx and the pension deal, that stinks but the way of corporate America-- take take take...

Best of Luck to you as well....Curt