History Question

patooey

Apr 7, 2004
Hello Aviation patrons and experts,

i have a quick history question that no librarian/historian/ aerospace engineer at my college could give me a straight answer for. I'm curious if anyone would know what the first model of the sea plane was and when it came out....

I'm using the plane in a book that i am working on that chronicles the life of pilot George Palmer.... the man who discovered the Blythe Intaglios in a mon plane in the 1930s ...

Thankyou for your hopeful cooperation

Sean Hackett

Everybody at your "college" sucks.Like everything else on the internet, it's only one Google search away,

On March 28, 1910, the first successful seaplane take-off from water at Martinque, France, occurred. The seaplane or Hydravion was flown by its inventor, Henri Fabre. A fifty-horsepower rotary engine powered the first flight, a 1650-foot distance over water. The plane Fabre flew was nicknamed "Le Canard", meaning the duck.

On Jan. 26, 1911, Glenn H. Curtiss made the first successful seaplane flight in America. Curtiss fitted floats to a biplane, then took off and landed from water. Curtiss' contributions to seaplane innovation included: flying boats and airplanes, which could take-off and land on a carrier ship. (and if you're from South Florida, he was also the founder of the city of Opa-Locka.)

Back