How Do You Interpret This?

2clippedwings

Veteran
Dec 24, 2002
PIT deportee
www.usaviation.com
Q. What about Delta’s employees? They are rallying against the deal.
A. We think that when Delta’s employees get the opportunity to really understand the proposal, they’ll appreciate the opportunity to work for a more financially stable airline that has a track record with mergers.
We’ve structured this in a very friendly way – we’ll take labor costs to the higher common denominator, we won’t lay off front line employees,and we’re determined to build 20-30 year careers.

2clippedwings states:
Hmm, No lay offs of front line employees...20-30 year careers.. New hire age 20. Can this be a whiff of an early out offer to front line employees? How do you interpret this?

How do you interpret this?

I interpret it as saying "we will be glad to let you work here 20-30 years as long as you like working for next to nothing (traditional airline industry pay) with the benefit of being able to fly free on planes that we try are hardest to fill every seat with a revenue passenger."

I optimistically believe they want to pay descent wages. The old HP paid low wages and had 90 percent of new hires gone within a few years...they went off to greener pastures. Doug said on more than one occasion that HP did not have the income producing capabilities of the other major carriers and thus could not pay the same wages.

Its been his goal since he took control to change that and the HP-US merger helped but the DL-US merger will seal the deal.

I optimistically believe they want to pay descent wages. The old HP paid low wages and had 90 percent of new hires gone within a few years...they went off to greener pastures. Doug said on more than one occasion that HP did not have the income producing capabilities of the other major carriers and thus could not pay the same wages.

Its been his goal since he took control to change that and the HP-US merger helped but the DL-US merger will seal the deal.
Exactly. The problem, however, is getting DP's team to devote time to negotiations.

With the US merger, HP gained a major revenue generator, and now has the capability to pay its employees an actual liveable wage. So let's get to the negotiating table, be fair, and give your employees the marked increases in compensation and work rules they now deserve, and you can now afford. Period. No more powerpoints, no more excuses, just get it done.

Oh yah, and please don't let Sherri run the Crew News sessions again when you (or Kirby) is running late. She just embarrasses herself.

I interpret it as saying "we will be glad to let you work here 20-30 years as long as you like working for next to nothing (traditional airline industry pay) with the benefit of being able to fly free on planes that we try are hardest to fill every seat with a revenue passenger."

I totally agree. Have you seen some of the people they've hired on the West? (And I don't mean this disrespectfully to the many qualified, customer service driven FA's out West.) But they are kids willing to work for next to nothing. Who is willing to stick around for 20 or 30 years at the wages they are paying. It's almost as bad as Terminal F in Philly--different, but similar.

They could give a damn about their employees or customers. What have they done for you lately other than give you a bunch of lip service.