Hungry? Better not work for BA

Jan 7, 2004
Red Planet
Visit site

The BA worker was suspended after being reported at Heathrow airport
BA plane
:down:
British Airways have suspended a cabin crew steward for eating a muffin that was discarded on a passenger's meal tray, it was reported today.

BA are treating the incident as theft after he was reported at Heathrow airport on Monday.

The man's collegues are furious with the decision, branding the airline 'heavy handed' and accused them of acting like a 'police state'.

One BA worker told The Sun: "The cabin crew member on a long-haul flight took a muffin destined for the bin.

"Now his career hangs in the balance. Everyone is up in arms - it is a disgusting way to treat a member of staff."

The move to suspend the worker comes after another BA flight attendent was told she could not wear a crucifix to work as it apparently contravened the company's uniform policy.

The worker added: "Staff are scared of putting a foot wrong. BA is acting like a police state."

A spokesman for the company said yesterday: "One member of the cabin crew has been suspended on suspicion of theft.

"While such incidents are extremely rare we take all allegations of theft extremely seriously."

However, British Airways appeared to make a U-turn today denying that the steward was suspended because he eat a left over muffin.

A BA spokesman said: "It is half-baked to suggest we are suspending someone over a muffin. It would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

Reader views (10)

Add your view | Show all

Here's a sample of the latest views published. You can click view all to read all views that readers have sent in.

A muffin?... Must have come from first class...never saw anything like that in coach.

- Ross Dunbar, Canada

Absolute insanity.

- R M, London, UK

This is typical of the lack of common sense prevalent throughout the earth today - especially demonstrated by Government leaders and heads of corporations. Political Correctness and actions such as that displayed by BA are so stupid it reveals the idiocy of the times in which we live. I say fire the leaders at BA!

It appears that we have no idea why the person in question was suspended pending investigation. The muffin theory seems a bit far fetched too me but by all means continue the conspiracy. If nothing else it is at least entertaining.

It KILLS me to have to say this................REALLY,........... but if the Company says, in so many words, that NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING is to removed from the a/c, it is virtually impossible to win THAT battle in arbitration !

Before AA stopped turn around cleaning(when I worked cabin service, I would read the newspapers while OB, and with 3/4 look outs, consume the food while OB.

I never stepped off that A/C with Anything(EXTERNALLY) !

I never stepped off that A/C with Anything(EXTERNALLY) !

That is probably a 'graphic' statement that we would not want to hear about.......... :p

The BA worker was suspended after being reported at Heathrow airport
BA plane
:down:
British Airways have suspended a cabin crew steward for eating a muffin that was discarded on a passenger's meal tray, it was reported today.

BA are treating the incident as theft after he was reported at Heathrow airport on Monday.

The man's collegues are furious with the decision, branding the airline 'heavy handed' and accused them of acting like a 'police state'.

One BA worker told The Sun: "The cabin crew member on a long-haul flight took a muffin destined for the bin.

"Now his career hangs in the balance. Everyone is up in arms - it is a disgusting way to treat a member of staff."

The move to suspend the worker comes after another BA flight attendent was told she could not wear a crucifix to work as it apparently contravened the company's uniform policy.

The worker added: "Staff are scared of putting a foot wrong. BA is acting like a police state."

A spokesman for the company said yesterday: "One member of the cabin crew has been suspended on suspicion of theft.

"While such incidents are extremely rare we take all allegations of theft extremely seriously."

However, British Airways appeared to make a U-turn today denying that the steward was suspended because he eat a left over muffin.

A BA spokesman said: "It is half-baked to suggest we are suspending someone over a muffin. It would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

Reader views (10)

Add your view | Show all

Here's a sample of the latest views published. You can click view all to read all views that readers have sent in.

A muffin?... Must have come from first class...never saw anything like that in coach.

- Ross Dunbar, Canada

Absolute insanity.

- R M, London, UK

This is typical of the lack of common sense prevalent throughout the earth today - especially demonstrated by Government leaders and heads of corporations. Political Correctness and actions such as that displayed by BA are so stupid it reveals the idiocy of the times in which we live. I say fire the leaders at BA!

Did it have a caramel nut topping? I hear pilots will sell their souls for it......... :p

B) UT