Iam Agreement

Since 700UW refuses to explain this, I will take the time to do so.

There is NO official Tentative Agreement. That does not mean that some sort of deal was not reached between the company and IAM union.

The IAM is instead playing political games now, in that they "agreed" to just forward the last company proposal to their members, so the membership can vote upon that proposal.

Thus the IAM shields itslef from any "responsibility" (read = blame) for that agreement (and any political fallout from unhappy IAM members for having reached it).

Get it...?

No, it is not like that,

Basicaly the IAM has just stepped aside, and will allow the membership to decide things themselves.

That way, no matter what happens, the IAM can say "it was not our fault"

But really, who cares at this point? If I were a mechanic, I would be glad to at least have the chance to have a vote.

Good Luck to all.

Rico said:
No, it is not like that,

Basicaly the IAM has just stepped aside, and will allow the membership to decide things themselves.

That way, no matter what happens, the IAM can say "it was not our fault"
But really, who cares at this point? If I were a mechanic, I would be glad to at least have the chance to have a vote.

Good Luck to all.
[post="236371"][/post]​

Rico:

USA320Pilot predicted this would happen several
months ago right on this very forum. The IAM has
failed their local membership by not reaching a
negotiated TA and unfortunately, they have become
irrelevant. It's too bad 700UW and his buddies have
been removed from the equation in the negotiating
process because they could have limited the number
of lost jobs.

EyeInTheSky said:
My question is this: How can this vote possibly pass when over half the members will be voting themselves out of a job? I've never heard of anyone voting themselves out of a job. I just don't see any good end to this.
[post="236299"][/post]​
IMO the only way its going to pass is the severence package thats being offered to the membership.

Spindoc
The IAM gave the company a full comprehensive offer yesterday morning that covered the full ask and more.

The company rejected the offer, it takes two sides to make an agreement and the company never truly wanted to reach a TA.

Because no group was asked to give up as much.

Did the ask ALPA, AFA, CWA or TWU to give up 50% of the jobs?

And you go ask any union rep or member from one of those unions above if they would have reached and ratified a TA if they were going to lose 50% of their members?

The IAM did not hang anyone out to dry, an agreement could not be reached because the company wants to eliminated the majority of the maintenance depatment.

But I would not expect NON-IAM members who are not involved to understand that!

From the rub:

Glass said that the IAM will be providing its members a detailed analysis of the proposals, but among the key provisions:

Mechanics & Related workgroup:

Pay rates for mechanics would be significantly better than the current pay that reflects a 21 percent temporary cut
Heavy maintenance on Airbus narrowbody aircraft will be brought in-house and certain Boeing 737 work will continue to be done in-house. Widebody heavy maintenance and other work to be specified, including some Boeing 737 inspection activity, will be done using outside maintenance vendors
Base maintenance will continue to be performed in Charlotte, N.C., and Pittsburgh
Line maintenance positions will increase with anticipated schedule changes in 2005
Utility classification and certain utility positions will be preserved at base maintenance facilities only, with other utility and cleaning services to be outsourced
IAM employees displaced by outsourcing will be offered existing and future fleet service positions
Fleet Service workgroup:

Pay rates for fleet service employees at hubs and major stations would be significantly better than the current pay that reflects a 21 percent temporary pay reduction
Most existing fleet service work will be preserved
A majority of scope provisions will remain unchanged except the right to outsource fleet work at the smaller cities and a second-tier pay scale for medium-sized cities
Continuation in the pre-existing IAM multi-employer national pension plan at unreduced levels

Last updated: January 06, 2005
Copyright © 2002, US Airways, Inc.

The company's press release is inaccurate and District 142 will be putting out another bulletin with further clarification.

SpinDoc said:
Rico:

USA320Pilot predicted this would happen several
months ago right on this very forum. The IAM has
failed their local membership by not reaching a
negotiated TA and unfortunately, they have become
irrelevant.
[post="236376"][/post]​

Now I know where your moniker comes from.

The IAM was faced with a situation where the company wants half the membership off the property. Exactly how do you negotiate a TA that will pass under those circumstances?

If half the membership is indeed going to become unemployed in any case (particularly in the case of the mechanics), you can phone this one in. It won't pass, and you can set 1/22 as the day that U dies.

ClueByFour said:
Now I know where your moniker comes from.

The IAM was faced with a situation where the company wants half the membership off the property. Exactly how do you negotiate a TA that will pass under those circumstances?

If half the membership is indeed going to become unemployed in any case (particularly in the case of the mechanics), you can phone this one in. It won't pass, and you can set 1/22 as the day that U dies.
[post="236407"][/post]​

Sorry, Im getting my dates confused. What is the significance of the 22nd? Thanks.

Latest posts