Independence Air now ending of operations Jan 5

ualdriver

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
http://www.flyi.com/company/default.aspx

Today is a sad day for Independence Air.

Today we must announce that we will be ceasing scheduled service operations this Thursday evening, January 5. The financial pressures in the industry have prevailed. We have run out of time.

It has been an amazing 18 months. We set out to challenge the status quo and to re-set your expectations about air travel. We set out to introduce you to lower fares and a new level of service delivered by employees who care. Currently ranked #2 in customer satisfaction among all US airlines, we are proud that we did indeed earn your respect and loyalty. We are proud that we built a brand so universally praised by over 8 million customers. We are proud of the mark we have made.

well with $29.00 dollar fares in todays environment is this a suprise? you can't buy a tank of gas for a medium sized car for $29.00 dollars.

Yikes, did I just hear this right? CNN announced that FlyI is ceasing operations today! The report said FlyI would try to refund tickets but would have to get approval from the BK court.

Did CNN get it wrong?

So sorry for all the employees of FlyI. Good luck. I hope all the other airlines out there will do their best to get stranded crew home.

Dea

Sorry to hear it.

But, the one thing we do know, no matter how bad the management is, someone will hire them to screw up another airline.

First off, to the employee's of FlyI, Inc...i am so sorry this has happened to you. Its so sad to know that such a great,and i mean great, company is now gone.

To those of you who all you can do is critize, Have you even FLOWN Independance? I took them to California and PR, and talk about the best type of flight EVER. I mean, no damn airline has come close to what Independance offered. Luxury and quality seats, REAL FOOD, entertainment, amazing staff on the airplane who gives you more than the attention you deserve, fun cool toys to entertain yourself with (ie, mousepads, shirts, etc) and of course, the iClub. I fly two times on IA and i got a free roundtrip! I mean, NO ONE ELSE DOES THAT.

So all of you who just critize, they didn't screw anything up, Us who fly and dont have much money and dont want to fly on Shitty Southwest or other airlines that pretend to be Low-Cost, then screw you. Only independance got me a roundtrip to California and PR within 24 hours of my travel at less than 200 bucks. Now there's a View attachment 3954 bargin that NO ONE has come close.

I weep that IA is gone now and there is no one to take its place. I hope to God that someone at the last minutes comes in and gives them the financing they need because only FlyI was a true airline that really made you want to return to flying after 9/11.

To INDEPENDANCE AIR...the BEST airline that existed. You'll forever be with me in my airline experiences. I look foward to your PROMPT return.

**Moderator's Note: Surely you can get your point across without swearing.**

I couldn't have said it better myself. The above post is PRECISELY why they are out of business.

Even at Dunkin Donuts you have to buy at least 10 coffees to get one free. FlyI gave away everything. Not a sustainable business model at all. :down:

There is no question that I-Air had a good product, good people, etc. However, regardless of how great the product may be, it HAS to be priced to make a profit...or else it won't last.

As predicted by most if not all industry experts, there simply is no way to run a successful low fare airline based on a fleet of high cost/low capacity CRJ's. I-Air's leadership elected to do it anyway, and we know the rest. With a larger fleet of A319's from the beginning...who knows what would have happened.

It is very sad to once-again see so many good employees affected by the poor decisions of a company's senior management.

First off, to the employee's of FlyI, Inc...i am so sorry this has happened to you. Its so sad to know that such a great,and i mean great, company is now gone.

To those of you who all you can do is critize, Have you even FLOWN Independance? I took them to California and PR, and talk about the best type of flight EVER. I mean, no damn airline has come close to what Independance offered. Luxury and quality seats, REAL FOOD, entertainment, amazing staff on the airplane who gives you more than the attention you deserve, fun cool toys to entertain yourself with (ie, mousepads, shirts, etc) and of course, the iClub. I fly two times on IA and i got a free roundtrip! I mean, NO ONE ELSE DOES THAT.

So all of you who just critize, they didn't screw anything up, Us who fly and dont have much money and dont want to fly on Shitty Southwest or other airlines that pretend to be Low-Cost, then screw you. Only independance got me a roundtrip to California and PR within 24 hours of my travel at less than 200 bucks. Now there's a View attachment 3954 bargin that NO ONE has come close.

I weep that IA is gone now and there is no one to take its place. I hope to God that someone at the last minutes comes in and gives them the financing they need because only FlyI was a true airline that really made you want to return to flying after 9/11.

To INDEPENDANCE AIR...the BEST airline that existed. You'll forever be with me in my airline experiences. I look foward to your PROMPT return.

**Moderator's Note: Surely you can get your point across without swearing.**
Please do not be sure that he can get his point across without swearing. This post has shown how ignorant this poster is about the industry and probably life in general. Did anyone ever say that you have a right to trvl by air? Is there something that states that because you want to trvl we need to accomodate your financial situation? Apparently, paying the pilots, flight attendants, mechanincs and everyone else involved in making sure a flight makes it to its destination safely does not register in your self centered world. These are professionals who have educated and trained for these positions and if you want cheap trvl with a toy I suggest you take the greyhound from the local Mickey D's! Im sure WN is breathing easy knowing how you feel about their airline and knowing they will not have to deal with you. The employees of this airline have my deepest sympathies for this truly trying time in their lives. My prayers are with you all.

The employees of this airline have my deepest sympathies for this truly trying time in their lives. My prayers are with you all.

Please don't mistake my post as not having sympathy for those who lost their jobs at FlyI, but seriously.... you're talking like they lost a child or something. From the last day at Atlantic Coast and the first day of FlyI, there was no secret about the business model that was proposed. So many people on this board and elsewhere say, "duh, you can't make money with a model like that", fares lower than a dinner at Ruby Tuesday, giving away the farm left and right. Not one single employee at FlyI should have been surprised at this outcome, as they knew from the very beginning that this was a distinct, if not likely possibility.

So while I respect that you are wishing them well, and I share that sentiment, I think you should keep your "deepest sympathies" in perspective.

I fly two times on IA and i got a free roundtrip! I mean, NO ONE ELSE DOES THAT.

Only independance got me a roundtrip to California and PR within 24 hours of my travel at less than 200 bucks. Now there's a View attachment 3954 bargin that NO ONE has come close.
Gee, and they went out of business?

Who would have guessed? :blink: :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back