Industry M&a Activity?

North by Northwest said:
No matter what color the metal ...they all want us to work for FREEEEEE!
[post="249627"][/post]​
and no matter what color the metal.... we are all in this together as LABOR! IMO what people fail to see is when one airline is able to gut contracts and extract massive concessions from its work groups while the AFL-CIO stands by and does nothing a precedent has been set for others to follow. the middle class in this GREAT NATION better take a stand or we will be no more!

USA320Pilot said:
...I never said UA and UA were going to merge...
[post="249397"][/post]​
Nope. You always couch it with language that provides plausible deniability. Your nemesis-for-life (700) does exactly the same thing.

Right on mweiss...

USA320Pilot: You never said "merge", but you did say:
"Interesting Tranaction"
"Interesting Corporate Tranaction"
"Unique Corporate Transaction"

All of these are double-speak for some kind of transaction in which two independent companies become some sort of combined entity... Kinda sounds like a merger.

Meanwhile, you can beat the drum as much as you like... The facts still are:
~ Every industry CEO is talking about mergers, but nobody is doing anything about them.
~ Those companies who have a high value in corporate cultures say they won't participate (i.e. Southwest, Frontier, and jetBlue).
~ Those who most need them talk most about them (UAL, US Airways, America West)
~ Thus far, everyone says its inevitable, but no body is willing to fall on the sword first, at a time when they still have some kind of value
~ Neither UAL nor US Airways has the cash to exit BK, let alone complete an acquisition... Short of a third party getting involved, I don't see it happening.
~ If everyone agrees that there are too many legacy airlines out there, what is the value in creating an even bigger legacy airline? My answer: not much value in it at all. No value = No financing = No merger.

funguy2 said:
USA320Pilot: You never said "merge", but you did say:
"Interesting Tranaction"
"Interesting Corporate Tranaction"
"Unique Corporate Transaction"

[post="249639"][/post]​

Didn't he even have a specific name for it?

usairways_vote_NO said:
Didn't he even have a specific name for it?
[post="249640"][/post]​

Those are the specific names... the second two got shortened to ICT and UCT respectively.

There is also the Transformation Plan, however, my understanding is that the Transformation Plan is the internal US Airways plan to get to the UCT...

So, for those mathmatical folks out there:

ICT=UCT=(UAL+(UAIR*TP))/(Employee Concessions)*3

funguy2 said:
[post="249639"][/post]​

320 SAYS MERGER
320 quotes "it's what the business partners are discussing and what's likely to occur next year"
and "From a bankruptcy perspective, in my opinion, an announcement could be aligned with United's new deadline to file its Plan of Reorganization with the bankruptcy court in early March (probably no more than six months until something is publicly announced)."
and "Well...the carriers are now taking "appropriate steps" to save their company's by continuing to adapt and evolve to the changing marketplace and it appears likely they will consolidate. Another words, it's either integrate or die."

funguy2 said:
Those are the specific names... the second two got shortened to ICT and UCT respectively.

There is also the Transformation Plan, however, my understanding is that the Transformation Plan is the internal US Airways plan to get to the UCT...

So, for those mathmatical folks out there:

ICT=UCT=(UAL+(UAIR*TP))/(Employee Concessions)*3
[post="249645"][/post]​
Thats right...UCT/ICT

mweiss said:
Times three, or to the third power? :huh:
[post="249650"][/post]​

*3 = multiplication
^3 = exponents

At least in most MicroSoft applications like Excel.

I was going for the impact of 3 rounds of concessions... I thought about going for 4, but I figured I'd add that in later as a consequence of fuel price increases and/or lack of dealing with other structural costs...

But, its not like its a scientific formula... Its a joke!

N by NW,
please tell me you had a gray cell shutdown and you don't really think that Pan Am folded 23 years ago. I've seen alot in my life but 1991 was not 23 years ago.

funguy,
tell 'em. M&A is not child's play. thankfully, the CEOs of the airlines that will survive know that. Those airlines that really are in a position to merge and know the costs are the ones looking it over very carefully and moving very slowly.

I think you are all missing the point.

I brought Pan Am and TWA as a example to help you out even.

Neither of those former airlines ended up "merged" with anyone, but other carriers were more than glad to make use of what valuable assets they had left right up to end. Keep in mind, that much like Pan Am and TWA, no one really wants to invest into obtaining both the good and the bad from either UA or US... And also like Pan Am and TWA, the employees of each carrier were (and will be again) an afterthought.

So instead of the childish name calling and taunts, why not get a clue and realize that as long as BOTH carriers are in bankruptcy (US and UA), that each of our futures is not secure. Hopefully each carrier can do so, and make it on it's own terms rather than someone elses'