Insane F Fares

bluetoad said:
They do charge for non-reving. We get a 1099 at the end of the year and have to pay tax on that amount.
Technically, that's not your management. That's our government. CEOs who use the corporate jet for personal travel are also taxed like you are. The difference being, payroll grosses up the check so that they are really not paying out of their own pocket......Some loophole there, or just "PLANE" abuse.... (I couldn't resist that pun).

I'm curious - what fare(s) are they charging you on the 1099? For example, if you flew 5 PHL-LAX roundtrips, do they tax you on discounted fare of about $300x5 or full Y @ $2000x5?

geo1004 said:
Very true. I needed to be in SEA and checked several airlines. Six days prior to departure the fare on US was almost $2,000... for a COACH fare that was not upgradable at the time of purchase. Several other carrriers had sub-$800 fares for nearly identical dates/times.
Just an FYI, I fly out of DCA and have been BOOKING First (A booking class) for the past 4-6 months, resulting in a fare around $900 roundtrip. (I book Y to a hub from DCA and vice versa; A to/from SEA to a hub.) $2000 seems a bit high -- what city is this from?

To add my own personal anecdotal evidence, we wanted to go DCA-MSY this past weekend. I got some non-rev passes but was also checking fares. From about 10 days out till 3 days out, the coach fare was about $1200 for the nonstops. Then US matched an FL fare, $350 RT for first, booked in A class. So no advance purchase is $350 for F, but 7 days AP was $1200 for Y. I understand matching FL is a habit, but you don't have to match them... UA didn't.

On the other end of the spectrum from the very cheap F fares mentioned, I ran into this. My wife and I want to go LGA-PIT in July with a Saturday stay. Since I wanted to credit the miles to UA I thougth that with the cheap F fares I would just buy two of those rather than buy a coach fare and upgrade. Well, the F fare was over $1000. Okay. So much for that idea. It looks like my US account will get another 1000 miles this year and US will get less money. So it goes.

USair labor believes "exclusivley" it's thier right to pass thier cost to the customer.

We are taking your JOBS.....

Latest posts