TR: SFO-PVD via CLT 8-20-08

vantheman63

Senior
Aug 30, 2007
PVD
Visit site
This is one reason why you buy F when you need it...ideally, probably not on US....but it worked.

US Airways Trip Details
------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, August 20, 2008:
US 1602 A321 departing SFO at 10:55 a.m. arriving CLT at 6:57 p.m. Seat 3D
US 1581 B734 departing CLT at 7:50 p.m. arriving PVD at 9:53 p.m. Seat 2D
------------------------------------------------------------

Total Trip Cost: $981.50, Refundable & Changeable
Actual Airfare: $894.88
Actual Miles Flown: 2,979
Yield: $0.30 per mile
Taxes & Fees: $86.62, 8.8% of ticket price

Bought this one on line in July. And I had a client who I've sort of been chasing to come to work for us here....I got her a 50K mile F ticket back and forth, from LGA to SFO. That was one thing US DID beat everyone on...you can score an F for 50,000....although with the new cuts, the 50K award on US is now like the 100K award no others....and the "Premium" 100K" is now like 200,000 miles. Just one of a number of reasons US is not my carrier of choice these days.

Once again, left Napa too early....with gas prices as they are, there really is less traffic these days between Napa and SFO. Got to the airport with plenty of time...and had to check a bag as I had wine. The US counter was MOBBED. Looks like US braintrust can abuse people however they want...they are having ZERO issues filling airplanes as these flights were full and the ticket counter was MOBBED.

There was a Silver behind me who was yelling at the G/As....I almost told him to go "F-O" myself as he was completely obnoxious and abusive. We got my bag checked and grabbed a bite to eat...then through security.

Boarded the airplane an hour late....my Professional Travel Assistant was busy backing me up, communicating, in full on "help & service" mode.

Boarding was stupid and chaotic. Absolutely, 110% without a doubt, US has THE WORST boarding procedure (or lack there of) of any airline. WN is MILES ahead of US. Like NO CONTEST. The G/A called F....and in less then 10 seconds, Zones 1, 2 and pax needing assistance. Next thing you know, 150 people trying to squeeze in....looked like a Boa constrictor swallowing a horse. Just stupid.

Anyway, we got on...F/As were in their new unis...and they looked good. Pre-departures were done.

We pushed an hour plus back...there was fog in SFO....but I don't know why this bus was late getting in. Got the pre-departure water and suddenly, we were airborne. Movie was "Leatherheads," but I had work and business to do...so no movie.

Service was friendly, efficient and professional. And the A F/A looked good, looked good doing it, had a smile and was VERY professional and good at her work. Rather enjoyable. "Brunch" was a choice of a fruit and cheese plate or an omelet with potatoes, sausage, bread and salad. I took the omelet...and actually folks, it was pretty tasty...it just wasn't warm enough. But I had to say, pretty tasty. The ONLY flaw in the service was, the F/A forgot to come get our trays...and we needed the space. So, everyone else's were cleared and I finally said...."ring the call bell." We did and the F/A came back to get the trays.

Then we got down to business...and this is where F on a transcon comes into play. We got the computers and the paper out and tried to come up with a plan to bring a new team member into the fold. She will be an important hire...so I needed to carefully think through all of this, together...and I think we did.

After that, we started getting focused on the issue at hand...."we were going to miss our connections." The F/A came on to read the cnx...and we suddenly realized we were on the prospect's plane. Me however, I was heading to PVD....so I said, "well, I'm resigned to sitting in a middle in the back and getting in after midnight."

Low and behold, my PTA got me backed up....get this...in F!!! VERY impressive indeed! I was stunned.

Got on the next ride and sailed back up to PVD...and it actually reminded me a little of the "olden days." Very nice service. New seats covers...looked good, reasonably clean and friendly US East crew....probably PI for the most part as they seemed fairly senior. The woman working F was really a great person.

Pushed on time, got in on time...good trip!

Okay...now...my honest thoughts and feelings....

Yesterday was a pretty decent day. I got a lot done, the service was better then "acceptable," it was actually pretty decent. The "on-time" thing isn't something I get too worked up over...unfortunately, thats just how it is. HOWEVER....at nearly a thousand...each way....there is better value. CO is less money via the Y-Up program...and it's a better product. UA is the same money...and it's a better product. So, essentially, all you get with US is a little extra seat width, 'cause the pitch isn't very good. I'd argue WN and UA E+ are close to on par with US F. Food on CO is light-years ahead of US...but admitedly, I don't buy airline tix for the food....however, when all things are considered, it factors in, if everything else is equal or close to it.

And of course, on a long haul like this, the "Elite Bonus" one gets on CO....and UA...well, as long as they are doing it, that's one more reason to chose them over US. And after reading Larry Kelner's thougts....CO has indicated they won't go down the path US has.

Would I ever buy US F again? Only when ABSOLUTELY necessary. US F on a transcon does, especially with work, does beat sitting in the back....

I can't believe the fares are that cheap, no wonder were losing money!!!!

I think that's the part that ALWAYS leaves me scratching my head....I will pay for space, service and comfort. I can get a LOT done on an airplane....especially a transcon/TA/TP.

Why this constant "pax won't pay" drumbeat persists, I don't know.....

Would I ever buy US F again? Only when ABSOLUTELY necessary. US F on a transcon does, especially with work, does beat sitting in the back....

Great report!

As a businessperson, you cannot put a pricetag on effective work time and workspace, which US offered in this case--and did OK!

It's great to have a travel person in your corner, too, it seems! :up:

In my opinion, US has the best flight attendants. keep in mind, I fly 80% of my flights up and down the east coast... so i can't really speak for transcons. But I really do think that US flight attendants are totally awesome. I like Southwest too (but they are great in a different way). Southwest flight attendants seem to be more fun and laid back, where the US flight attendants are so professional. Especially in First.

The boarding process at US is absolutely the worst of all the airlines. The new WN boarding process is so awesome. I like CO's too, a lot. Boarding by row, what a crazy concept...