Inside US Airways Web World

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/20/technolo...r=1&oref=slogin

The New, Sleek Airline Web Site

The merger of US Airways and America West meant a merger of their complicated Web sites as well. Troy Fernwalt, at whiteboard above left, helped coordinate that process. The company uses 28 new computer servers in Tempe, Ariz., right, to run its database.

By JOE SHARKEY
Published: June 20, 2006
Domestic airlines are discovering that by redesigning their Web sites, they can cut costs, shore up the loyalty of business travelers and even lure customers away from other travel sites.

On many reworked airline sites, for example, customers can easily manage their frequent-flier accounts; travel awards and upgrades, which typically used to be arranged over the phone with an airline clerk, now can be easily booked online. Some sites display calendars showing open dates and seat-availability charts.

As international travel grows, airlines have also simplified the process of booking complicated schedules to just a few clicks — including travel with two airlines that are code-sharing partners.

Many travelers are also drawn to online check-in, which permits passengers to print out their boarding passes and is now a standard feature at airline Web sites. The sites give airlines the ability to promote special fares and other offers through direct marketing and e-mail alerts.

Many of the airlines' Web site initiatives are aimed at increasing, or regaining, business travelers' loyalty.

"Business travelers in general are people who are self-motivated," said Travis Christ, the vice president of marketing for US Airways. "They know what they want and where they want to go. The trick is to improve the level of empowerment available to them online."

For the airlines, driving customers to company Web sites has an added bonus: they save commissions they would otherwise have to pay to travel agents to book the fares.

American Airlines has made significant improvements to its AA.com site, starting in early 2005. That is when it started guaranteeing that anyone who found a lower fare on any third-party booking site — like Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz — would receive a $50 travel voucher and a refund of the difference between the fares.

The promotion, along with other improvements, appears to be paying off. "We're coming off a record month in May, when we had 40 million unique visitors, and we generated more revenue in a single month on AA.com than we've ever generated," Rob Friedman, the managing director for interactive marketing at the airline, said.

Several factors have prodded airlines to upgrade their Web sites, including the rise in recent years of discount airlines and third-party booking sites, which have used the Internet to make it easier to search for low fares.

Discount airlines have nearly a 30 percent share of the domestic market now, and third-party travel sites book about half of all online airline tickets. Meanwhile, major airlines have been frantically trying to survive by cutting staff and costs, and dropping fares to match the low-cost airline competition. For a time, Web sites were not a priority, but that has changed.

"Airlines are finding the budgets to improve their Web sites," said Diane Clarkson, the lead travel analyst with JupiterResearch.

The ability to get a slightly cheaper fare than might be found on a third-party Web site is a major reason for the growth in traffic to airline sites, she said.

"There is a segment of people who simply don't want to pay the extra five bucks for a booking fee" to third-party sites, Ms. Clarkson said.

Last year, nearly 150 million consumers visited a travel Web site, an increase of 35 percent from 2004, said Sara Stevens, a senior director at comScore Networks, which studies online consumer trends.

Airline tickets accounted for about two-thirds of the $60 billion spent at airline and other consumer travel sites last year, she said. Corporate travel management companies, which negotiate volume travel deals between suppliers and companies and use proprietary Web sites for booking, are not included in those totals.

While the third-party sites continue to grow as demand for travel surges, airline Web sites are now growing at a faster rate.

Delta Air Lines recently revamped its Web site, adding new features in various languages to make it easier to use anywhere in the world as the airline has shifted capacity to overseas flights. "It isn't a place just for buying tickets," Josh Weiss, managing director for Delta.com, said.

But Ms. Stevens of comScore Networks said the third-party sites "have many advantages and they are still continuing to grow in revenues."

Though airline tickets still account for about 50 percent of revenue on third-party sites, those sites have been focusing on improving customer service, and on "diversifying into higher-margin products, like hotels and travel packages, to appeal to a broader segment of consumers," she said.

Redesigning a Web site is not without its hazards. Many business travelers were enraged last month when US Airways, which merged last year with America West, introduced a new Web site merging both airlines' sites.

With their technological tangles of fares, schedules and services that can change in an instant, major airline Web sites are complicated. Merging two of them in real time can be a nightmare — and was. US Airways had to contend with thousands of unhappy customers who complained about mangled reservations and other problems.

"Technologically, airline Web sites are as complicated a retail site as you're ever going to see," said Mr. Christ of US Airways, who added that most of the problems had been worked out.

"Customers have told us, over and over, they want a simple, seamless process to do a lot of complicated things, and it's very hard to get there," he said.

Functionality, scheduling convenience, ease of use on the road anywhere in the world — these are all goals that will possibly increase revenue from business travelers willing to pay a little more some day for a lot more online service, Mr. Christ said.

But first things first. "We unfortunately have to face the reality that air travel is still largely a commodity," he said. "We have to take unnecessary expenses out of the system, and a good Web site will do that because every time we sell a ticket through someone else, there is a cost involved."

Perhaps the biggest problem with the article is putting a name and face with the actual web site rollout. Troy Fernwalt. Now, far be it for me to suggest that unhappy customers email him directly, he's definitely going to get some nice correspondence - especially since it's not hard to figure out one's email address at usairways.com.

I find it "interesting" that now that the feces is on the fan, instead of using the "Spin Machine" to be proactive and help manage customer expectations we get the typical "You don't understand our business and how complicated it is"

Piney it is and you don't get it!
I'll bet when this is all done it will be reported as the smoothest airline merger ever, maybe even the smoothest 2 billion + dollar company mergers ever. Little to no employee layffs, little to no service disruption, promising financial results so far. I know you will completely disagree, listing a litiny of items which in the end will only be seen as minutia. You really cannot see the forest for the trees as far as this company is concearned.

Little to no employee layffs, little to no service disruption,
From were I sit/stand I see on a daily basis unreliable express carriers, ticketing problems and possibly waiting for the next round of station closing. I guess the question is are they merger related

From were I sit/stand I see on a daily basis unreliable express carriers, ticketing problems and possibly waiting for the next round of station closing. I guess the question is are they merger related

Have there been station closings?
Express will shrink not grow, DP has said many times that there are to many RJs, as those contracts come up expect big changes i.e. the east mesa contract not renued.
also one would assume with the E190 being mainline that reduces even more the need for express. As for as ticketing problems until we have one system that is going to be a problem we will have to put up with for about 8 more months.

Have there been station closings?
I will let my fleet service and reservations brothers and sisters answer that.

Express will shrink not grow, DP has said many times that there are to many RJs, as those contracts come up expect big changes i.e. the east mesa contract not renued.
also one would assume with the E190 being mainline that reduces even more the need for express.
Air Wisconsin owns 20% of LCL and has a seat on the BOD they will get a lot more flying and new planes. Express will be a major part of LCL with 86 seats or equivalent A/C that will replace gone Boeings

"You don't understand our business and how complicated it is"
I'll bet when this is all done it will be reported as the smoothest airline merger ever, maybe even the smoothest 2 billion + dollar company mergers ever. Little to no employee layffs, little to no service disruption, promising financial results so far. I know you will completely disagree, listing a litiny of items which in the end will only be seen as minutia. You really cannot see the forest for the trees as far as this company is concearned.

An interesting comparison in the news.....

------
Press Release Source: AirTran Airways

AirTran Airways Statement on Computer Upgrade
Tuesday June 20, 3:40 pm ET

ORLANDO, Fla., June 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc., (NYSE: AAI - News), yesterday began a planned upgrade of its internal reservations and airport check-in systems which will bring long term benefits to our customers. It required a preplanned shutdown of the system from 10 pm Monday, June 19, 2006, through 4:30 am this morning. The airline began experiencing passenger check-in problems early this morning that caused rollover delays into the early afternoon. This has resulted in long lines at a number of airports, primarily Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

"This is an unfortunate situation for our customers and certainly not what we anticipated," said Judy Graham-Weaver, AirTran Airways spokesperson. "We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience and appreciate their patience and understanding. Our Crew Members made every effort to accommodate passengers as quickly as possible and used manual processes to board flights. Our dispatch systems have not been impacted at any time."

While we have resolved most of the problems related to this system cutover, we are still experiencing periodic outages and ask that our customers allow for more time than usual checking-in at the airport this afternoon or while checking in online at www.airtran.com.
------

Wow, an actual apology for the inconvenience suffered by passengers! Anyone heard a US exec or spokesperson apologize for the trials and tribulations suffered due to the website fiasco? Any angst that passengers couldn't access their accounts? That passengers found miles missing when they could access their accounts? Couldn't to OLCI? Couldn't buy a ticket to such out-of-the-way places as PHL?

At least AirTran had the fortitude to say "We messed up, we caused problems for our customers, and we're sorry."

The folks in the Sandcastle? Oh no - there the sky is always blue, the sun always shines, and every problem is someone else's fault.....

Jim

The folks in the Sandcastle? Oh no - there the sky is always blue, the sun always shines, and every problem is someone else's fault.....

Jim
[/quote]

Well it usually is sunny here, but we had a rare June rain a few weeks ago that coincidentally coincided with a big group from Pitt in town. Hum?

Umm, it's not even close to the smoothest 2 billion dollar merger ever. I just got done with one, and our customers (who buy more than %95 of their spend with us online) never skipped a beat.

Whereas as recently as this morning, I continue to get the "we've experienced a problem" BS from usairways.com. $550 more to United.

Much like being in the pool, US is going to be in real trouble once the shrinkage is done. You don't actually think that the "synergies" are working like they say they are? I mean, they are, but only because the airline is shrinking.

If the website debacle was any indicator, the airline will collapse for about a week once they try to merge the backends. I may pop popcorn.

Well it usually is sunny here, but we had a rare June rain a few weeks ago that coincidentally coincided with a big group from Pitt in town. Hum?
Oh, that's just the dark cloud that has been following us Easties around for the last several years.

Many of us were hoping for a change when the new Messiah appeared from the West - it was said he walked on water, after all. Still waiting, though...

Jim

An interesting comparison in the news.....

------
Press Release Source: AirTran Airways

AirTran Airways Statement on Computer Upgrade
Tuesday June 20, 3:40 pm ET

ORLANDO, Fla., June 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc., (NYSE: AAI - News), yesterday began a planned upgrade of its internal reservations and airport check-in systems which will bring long term benefits to our customers. It required a preplanned shutdown of the system from 10 pm Monday, June 19, 2006, through 4:30 am this morning. The airline began experiencing passenger check-in problems early this morning that caused rollover delays into the early afternoon. This has resulted in long lines at a number of airports, primarily Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

"This is an unfortunate situation for our customers and certainly not what we anticipated," said Judy Graham-Weaver, AirTran Airways spokesperson. "We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience and appreciate their patience and understanding. Our Crew Members made every effort to accommodate passengers as quickly as possible and used manual processes to board flights. Our dispatch systems have not been impacted at any time."

While we have resolved most of the problems related to this system cutover, we are still experiencing periodic outages and ask that our customers allow for more time than usual checking-in at the airport this afternoon or while checking in online at www.airtran.com.
------

Wow, an actual apology for the inconvenience suffered by passengers! Anyone heard a US exec or spokesperson apologize for the trials and tribulations suffered due to the website fiasco? Any angst that passengers couldn't access their accounts? That passengers found miles missing when they could access their accounts? Couldn't to OLCI? Couldn't buy a ticket to such out-of-the-way places as PHL?

At least AirTran had the fortitude to say "We messed up, we caused problems for our customers, and we're sorry."

Jim
They are too busy counting their windfall from their stock options and trying to figure out how to diversify their portfolios. Oops, wrong thread!!

Jim
Rain can have tragic consequences in a place like Tempe. Sandcastles disintegrate and wash away.

Latest posts