Us Airways Sets New Sales Record

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
New Sales Record

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - History was made on Monday, when usairways.com had its best revenue day on record. Thanks to the “Sweetheart Sale†launched on Valentine’s Day, usairways.com broke all previous sales records with total revenue of $5.1 million, up 65 percent over Feb. 14, 2004. The Web site hosted over 300,000 visitors, and customers booked over 20,000 tickets, up 103 percent year over year.

Another revenue record was set yesterday. Reservations brought in $3.3 million in sales, the highest since Sep. 9, 2004, which incidentally marked the first day that US Airways implemented service fees for certain tickets purchased through its reservations center. The overwhelming response generated by the “sweetheart deals†signifies the popularity of US Airways’ low fares, as thousands of customers clamored to secure steeply discounted tickets through traditional booking venues, despite distribution fees.

In other e-commerce news, Dow Jones reviewed airline Web sites. Appraisers performed such online functions as buying refundable tickets, adding frequent flier accounts, changing itineraries, and requesting refunds. The findings, reported in The Wall Street Journal, said that usairways.com’s best feature was its calendar function, which allows customers to see how changes to travel dates may alter the fare. The Web site’s right-side navigation bar also was touted as “unusual, but efficient.†During the evaluation process, Dow Jones said, “With this site, unlike the others, we never had to call the airline for help.â€

Separately, The Customer Respect Group, a global research and consulting firm that studies how companies treat their customers online, also analyzed airline Web sites and selected US Airways as the airline that creates the best overall online experience for its customers.

The Customer Respect Group uses what it has termed and trademarked its “Customer Respect Index†(CRI) to rank businesses’ Web sites and online performance. Attributes evaluated and measured include the following customer-focused principles: Simplicity, which rates ease of navigation; Responsiveness, or the speed and helpfulness of responses to inquiries; Privacy, or the manner with which the company handles personal data; Attitude, which accounts for the general feel and perception of how the customer is treated online; Transparency, involving open and honest policies; and Principles, which show how the customer is intrinsically valued.

US Airways was followed by British Airways, Air Canada, Independence Air, and Northwest Airlines in the CRI ratings. The bottom five ranking airlines, worst to best, were Frontier Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Spirit Airlines and American Airlines. A total of 18 airline Web sites were rated.

Other online sectors evaluated included Hotels and Resorts, for which Marriott International came in first place, and Online Travel Companies, in which Orbitz won over Travelocity and Expedia.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Just goes to show you..

Supply the people with $49 fares and they will complain about nothing!!

Great website for $49 bucks!!

Only problem is revenue.. Like in no revenue.

Smoke and Mirrors..

I will say it again...

It is getting kinda old, that so many on here feel the need to wave around anything remotely negative or threatening to our airline's chances for survival/success. And the same "usual suspects" always naysay, ignore, or belittle anything that does not validate their vision of a doomed US Airways.

That is why I love the fact that we are still here today, and and still moving forward from now on... Not just for the sake of those at this airline who still contribute and care, but also because I know it bugs the crap outta those that no longer do. 

Have a nice day sport...

Can you imagine how much MORE revenue reservations could bring in if we could get to the callers in a reasonable time frame?

Worked 4 hours OT in INT res today, almost all callers complaining about the hold time....this is nothing new....sale or not, this is the norm everyday.

livingontheedge said:
Can you imagine how much MORE revenue reservations could bring in if we could get to the callers in a reasonable time frame?
Worked 4 hours OT in INT res today, almost all callers complaining about the hold time....this is nothing new....sale or not, this is the norm everyday.

SKY HIGH states: How many calls ON HOLD? AND WAIT TIME?

Number of calls on hold flucuated between 60 and 119 during the time I was there today.

Hold time varies depending on which prompt they select, can be 20 minutes, and in the evening between 7-10 can be up to 45 min.

What is your point?

The management at this airline still has not figured out that they are in a "service" industry and happy customers return and are great advertisers for your product.

So here's my question to the res folks:

What takes so long? Meaning when you take a call, what part of the call takes up the most time? For instance, is it assisting customers pick flights, taking their information for billing, ??

-JC

jcooke said:

What takes so long? Meaning when you take a call, what part of the call takes up the most time? For instance, is it assisting customers pick flights, taking their information for billing, ??

-JC
[post="248496"][/post]​

Sometimes the callers take a long time....If they already have a reservation and need service a lot of times callers don't even know what their record locator is or flight number and date, sometimes they don't even have the cities right. The funniest thing is when they swear they are on US Airways for example out of JFK to ATL, I had that last night, I found a DL flight that matched their departure times.....

Then there is my favorite one where they complain about the hold time yet when you ask for a credit card they say it's in their car and ask us to hold....Umm, please have you credit cards and a pen and paper handy if you think your going to buy something.

jcooke said:

-JC
[post="248496"][/post]​

Same reason why only 1 out of 15 visitors to the website book. People like to shop.
But when they call res they like to ask questions, call back later to hold the reservations, call back later to buy it, call back later to ask for a handicapped seat, call back later to change the ticket, call back later to ask for another receipt because they lost it etc etc etc.

Reminds me of the old old story- when the customer called in insisting on being booked to Hippopotumus NY. Finally after much much much discussion the res agent finally figured it out- he wanted to go to BUF.

The longest part of a sales call (for me) is recapping the itinerary. Passengers have a tendency to want it repeated 3 times. The best is when you finish recapping and they say something like "I guess I should write that down."

Hands down reissues and Dividend MIles have the longest hold times. I don't book DM, but I do reissues. Half the time the longest part is the first 3 to 4 minutes they go on and on about the hold time and the next 3 to 4 minutes it takes to make the reservation because they have NO INFORMATION.

Funniest thing is when someone calls insisting they are booked on U and you spend 4 minutes trying to find a reservation by flight time. After looking to no avail you find an OA flight that matches their schedule and they have the audacity to get pissed at you!

Latest posts