Is Airline Consolidation/Merger the Answer?

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
On another thread, a poster repeated the "we need to reduce capacity and consolidate the industry because fares are too low" mantra. He used as proof the fact that he could purchase a BOS-MIA ticket for $84 two weeks prior to departure, and the cab fare to Logan airport from not very far away was $30. I admit that I, too, have been a believer in the philosopy that the reason air fares are so low is that there are too many seats going after too few behinds.

But, is this true? And, would mergers help the situation. Since 2001, there have been 3 major airline mergers--AA/TWA, US/HP, and DL//NW. And, I know in my airline (AA) there has been a severe reduction in both capacity and staff. Yet, someone can buy an $84 BOS-MIA ticket still. When are all the pricing advantages of mergers, industry consolidation, and capacity reductions going to kick in?

When I started as a flight attendant with AA in September, 2000, my freshly minted seniority number was over 23,000--that's flight attendants on the then current seniority list, and that was almost a year prior to the purchase of TWA. Today, my seniority number is a little over 16,000, and even with the numerous flight attendants that either don't fly at all or fly a minimum number of hours, there is not enough flying for all of the "active" flight attendants. I flew 39 hours in January, and the only reason I will approach guarantee in February is because I have two weeks of vacation hours to throw into the equation. If it weren't for a temporary no-furlough agreement between the company and my union, I would be out on the street right now.

Though it doesn't seem to be as true right now as in the past, whenever one of us tries to reduce capacity on a route, another one of us increases capacity on that route, and announces a sale to introduce the service. And, it's not all WN doing it.

Will mergers actually return any of us to profitability? Maybe air travel should become a government service like Amtrak--i.e., we know there ain't no way to make a profit; so, let's not pretend that there is.

You know...this is not a new issue. One of the founders of British Airways once said, "If you have to tighten your belt, it's a recession. If you don't have a belt, it's a depression. If you lose your trousers, you're in the airline business."

I hear from people who have been at AA a long time about "the good ole days" when the government set fares and determined who could fly particular routes. But, were they? The good old days, I mean. The airlines were among the major proponents of deregulation. If regulation was industry nirvana, why did everyone push to end it?

Discuss. I'm verklempt.

I'm no economist or statistician but merging and consolidating does not seem to work. If airline X with 10 seats meres with airline Y with 10 seats and nothing else happens, you still have 20 seats. Nothing really changes other than the fact you have a larger airline which has a little more buying/bullying power over the smaller ones (maybe).

If you want me to pay more for the ticket you have to create a product that is harder to get. Diamonds are expensive because they are rare and hard to get, stones are free because they are everywhere. If airline X reduces frequency by airline Y steps in and increases frequency to make up the difference nothing has changed. You still have too many seats chancing too few butts. Until everyone in a market decide to reduce frequency in a given market, I get to buy a ticket at $84.

I think the flip side of this is if frequency is reduced, more people will b out of a job in order to make more money off of a given product. I would think that an airline who is flying 2 S80's from point A to B at $50 a seat would love to fly 1 S80 from A to B at $100 a seat. I suspect unless they can fine a more profitable place to put that plane (in a market where some other airline has cut a flight?) those people related to the operation of that flight will get canned.

Between greed and self interest, I think you (the airlines) are screwed. Then add in the fact that SW who seems to have the Midas touch (at least in comparison to the rest of the crowd) they will increase capacity to drive down prices and still make money.

Cheap fares seem to be where it's at right now. Until something changes for the worse like planes start dropping by the week verses year or airlines cannot actually fine someone to work for them this is the way things will be for a while. People want cheap. In this economy either you give me a $84 ticket or I just won't fly. It's not like gas which I have to buy otherwise I cannot get to work. I can live with out flying. I have not been out to see my dad in over a year. I want to but the tickets are too expensive for me to afford. Yes in reality they are cheap in terms of time saved, expense for me to drive etc... but I still can't afford it so I don't fly.

Airlines have something we want, not need.

Just my $0.02

I think (perhaps in 'today's airline situation") the answer is what Bob Crandall said back in the early 90's........."Not chasing nickles and dimes" with mainline equiptment.(in other words maximize your strongest assets EX: JFK/LHR..JFK/LAX-SFO...LGA/DFW...JFK-LGA/MIA....LAX/MIA...MIA/South America......DFW/to just about anywhere........All ORD-I, just to name a few. The rest A/E.
Which by the way, AA wants in the Pilots negotiations, a change to 76 seats, and a MGTOW of 89,000 lbs....Which(again) is the exact specs of the E-175.
So yes jimntx, I believe the "move" is to shrink MAINLINE and build up A/E (domestically) More.
As for APA going for the "76/89,000", it will happen if HDQ puts the right "stuff" on the "table".

just my 2 cents.