Is the Railway Labor Act next after Janus Ruling?

Unions have neutered themselves in their grab for dues and lack of representation.
They stab each other in the back.
Unions may be valid again someday after people get tired of corporate America screwing them but it may be too late.
xUT

Unions have neutered themselves in their grab for dues and lack of representation.
Unions may be valid again someday after people get tired of corporate America screwing them but it may be too late.
xUT

You or I will Never see the day xUT, that the companies that I specifically mentioned ( The class 1 Railroads, and maybe more, Airline Pilots and the Longshoremen on the Pacific coast, become NON UNION Jobs. Take 'THAT' to the BANK !

You or I will Never see the day xUT, that the companies that I specifically mentioned ( The class 1 Railroads, and maybe more, Airline Pilots and the Longshoremen on the Pacific coast, become NON UNION Jobs. Take 'THAT' to the BANK !
Hey Bears,
Thanks for the laugh.
You know pilots eat their young...
With advancing technology, that cockpit will have a pilot and a dog.
The dog is there to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.
Same thing with Longshoremen. Once they are replaced by technology, they will be redundant.
Have you been to the store lately, that self scanning line just keeps getting bigger.
Sorry Bears but technology will make physical labor redundant.
Just My 2 Cents...

Technology is part of why the longshoreman have become so militant. Their numbers were decimated when the industry adopted shipping containers.

They used to handle bales and crates. That's been replaced by standardized containers. Essentially, two five man crews and two cranes can load and unload ~300 containers an hour. That used to take a couple dozen workers a full day on much, much smaller freighters.

Railroading wasn't as impacted -- the switch from box cars to container cars was easy, and railroad workers weren't the ones loading/unloading the box cars to begin with. If anything, that technology shift helped railroads, because the containers were able to take back business which used to go by truck. The dead weight of the shipping containers puts trucking at a huge disadvantage.

Back to Janus... I got to speak with him yesterday. I give it 24 months before someone goes after closed shop in transportation.

This was brought up in the AA forum, but I think it deserves a little wider attention as a topic.

SCOTUS is going to rule on the legality of agency fee/fair share with the Janus vs. ACSCME case sometime in early 2017. That case only has a bearing on public sector unions, but I think there's some potential for cascading impact to airlines with regard to the RLA...

1. Abood would have been overturned had Scalia been alive to vote on in Friedrichs vs. CA Teachers, and it's probably a given that Gorsuch will vote in favor of Janus.

2. Assuming the Court rules for Janus, that becomes a defacto national RTW declaration for public sector unions.

3. If it's no longer legal to force union membership dues or fees as a condition of public sector employment, how long can it be before there's a challenge on whether Federal law can force union membership dues or fees as a condition of private sector employment?
Great Question!

xUT
There is no American Labor Movement. Corporate Greed completely took over Labor Organizations. Now just a bunch of fat cats in high offices taking our dues. Long before Janus, the State of Michigan bailed and went RTW. Labor Organizations have different ideologies than most of their members now. Thus, they are a long way from home, other than the 5 of 6 at each local meeting who blow the officers to get a union job.

There is no American Labor Movement. Corporate Greed completely took over Labor Organizations. Now just a bunch of fat cats in high offices taking our dues. Long before Janus, the State of Michigan bailed and went RTW. Labor Organizations have different ideologies than most of their members now. Thus, they are a long way from home, other than the 5 of 6 at each local meeting who blow the officers to get a union job.

I was in my 16th year and had been a steward for 8 years before I ever got an offer to go to Whimpy's place.......it was that 'R' thing. After I did L1 training, I found out they were having trouble finding people who were willing to go.....lets ask the republican.....LOL

I was in my 16th year and had been a steward for 8 years before I ever got an offer to go to Whimpy's place.......it was that 'R' thing. After I did L1 training, I found out they were having trouble finding people who were willing to go.....lets ask the republican.....LOL

Always thought it was funny the IAM uses that nickname and Buffy seemed to love saying it in official public facing addresses. Roach, rest of the EC and now Martinez don't seem to be as fond of it.

Josh

If the unions end up having to merge because of this will they do more AFA-CWA and IAM-TCU type deals where the better capitalized organization remains dominant but the smaller desperate affiliate gets to keep it's branding and identity. This will allow at least some of the appointed leaders to stay in their cushy roles and realize synergies through other ways-perhaps selling assets, overall downsizing, etc? I assume high level AFL-CIO discussions to this effect are underway now.

The better question is what headcount reductions will a top heavy organization like the IAM which has many high paid administrative types that it would stand to reason are less than fully productive by white collar standards in the United States? The IAM may have to move away from its silly three tier International/District/Local lodge structure maybe even to just an international model like they are doing for the low wage low benefit UGE and McGee voluntary recognition schemes that aren't part of a district lodge.

It also stands with respect to asset sales of local lodge property and real estate if these executive councils are going to work to change the bylaws in the internationals favor should they become desperate and require a cash infusion to continue operating. Property like IAM 1726 in Eastie would be a very desirable asset to liquidate in this white hot market, as would much of the big labor owned facilities around the DMV region.

Josh

Technology is part of why the longshoreman have become so militant. Their numbers were decimated when the industry adopted shipping containers.

They used to handle bales and crates. That's been replaced by standardized containers. Essentially, two five man crews and two cranes can load and unload ~300 containers an hour. That used to take a couple dozen workers a full day on much, much smaller freighters.

Railroading wasn't as impacted -- the switch from box cars to container cars was easy, and railroad workers weren't the ones loading/unloading the box cars to begin with. If anything, that technology shift helped railroads, because the containers were able to take back business which used to go by truck. The dead weight of the shipping containers puts trucking at a huge disadvantage.

Back to Janus... I got to speak with him yesterday. I give it 24 months before someone goes after closed shop in transportation.

Now of course YOU realize that the ILWU,(as opposed to the east/gulf coast ILA), AGREED to containerization , therefore getting a ROCK SOLID unbreakable Contract from the Pacific maritime association , RIGHT Eric ??
Their,(the ILWU) contract is soooo powerful , that it forced the DIGGING of ANOTHER Panama Canal. THAT my friend is F Strength !!!!!!!! Will they lose 'some' work because of the Panamax ships ? Yes ' Some ', but not enough to be able to BREAK that Union !
I've got a book for you Eric, that you should read. " Burning Bridges , America's 20 year Crusade to Deport Labor Leader Harry Bridges " ISBN # 978-0-9983471-0-3 / Peter Afrasiabi / Thirlmere Books.

J Edgar AND the Govt. Could NOT Take HARRY BRIDGES down !!
AND, along with the class 1 Railroads, you will never live long enough to see technology break those 2 Unions !