Is this true?

Ironman2909

Mar 9, 2003
I have pratically completed my demand of recrutment in the CAF. I think I have a good chance as to become pilot on whatever airplane they can put me into.

However, they are so many people who try to discourage me about my application. Yes, I already have a CPL Multi-IFR and a University degree, so this sould increase my chance.

The fact is that many peoples told me that pilots in the army don''t have the chance to fly a lot. Is this true???

What are the working condition in the CAF? I''ve heard that many guys who''ve made it have given there resignation because all they where doing was working in office.

boy this is getting pretty hard to begin a career!!!!!!!

Ironman2909
Except in times of conflict or during "peace enforcing" and "peace keeping" missions, all military pilots in European NATO countries are facing an acute problem with hour building. In some countries the "currency" requirement for top guns is somewhere between 16 / 20 hours a month and, sometimes, even those are hard to come by...

That's why in some countries a lot of flight services are provided by the military at an "apparent" greater cost (like flying EMS / medevac with Pumas or Cougars when a B222 or S76 would do).
Then comes the Minister of Finance's staff and privatizes everything because "it is cheaper", (and in absolute terms it is a lot cheaper) but forgetting the needs of the national defense in maintaining the pilots well trained, current and proficient so they can be of use in times of need.

Then the military personnel, instead of flying productive hours, go sightseeing, transporting politicians here and there, and yes, once a year flying Santa around for kids, (out of the training budget) to maintain their currency and some proficiency.

Aaahhh and then, on top of this, some people that know nothing about aviation pop out of nowhere and says that it is a waste of taxpayers money

I don't know if this is the case in Canada.

Ironman

Do not despair. It is very true that military pilots are expected to be officers first and pilots second. That means your job is more than just flying but usually your first two postings are as line pilot.

The amount of hours you get varies a great deal by type. F18 guys do fly fewer hours, helo guys are mid level and herc, aurora or Airbus guys fly more, usually.

There is no set average but it is very true that you will fly quite a bit less than their civilian counterpart. The difference will be the ratings you end up with. As a military guy you will have them all including a current IFR rating. You will also get all associated high altitude, water egress, dangerous cargo or mountain flying courses you need. These are of course very costly to get on your own and usually take many years to "earn" your way up with a company before they will let you fly IFR.

The plus side to flying civilian is definitely more hours but as I said it takes longer to get into more complex ratings. It is also very costly to get all those courses or ratings out of your pocket.

Here is a probable comparrison of two pilots, my own opinion and others can be free to comment.

Two pilots train in year 19xx

Ten years later the military guy is flying Griffons, has around 2000 hours and gets paid somewhere around $65-$75k per year. He has an instrument rating and a mountain flying course.
If the pilot flies hercs than I would say somewhere around 3000 hours, multi IFR. This pilot is at an option point of continuing in the military with a pension at the end. I've been in for 22 years and have topped out our current salary scale. With my flight pay I make very close to $100K, nothing to sneeze at for a helo driver.

The civilian pilot flies AStars and has around 6000 hours. The helo pilot can long line, mountain fly but may not yet have an instrument rating.
If fixed wing then the pilot by now may be flying a Caravan or a Navaho with maybe a few more hours somewhere around 7500 and has an instrument rating and always looking for the next aircraft type/company to move up to.

They are different but they are both great. From what I have seen the one big diff is starting out. Civilian drivers work their tails off and go into so much debt sometimes just to get started it's a wonder anyone ever becomes a pilot. The trade off for military guys is always a less little flying time but all the ratings under the sun and a broad range of experience/locations.

Good luck, either way when you fly, you win. Do what you love and you'll never hate your work.

For what its worth, Aurora Aircrew will average about 600Hrs per year. I''ve seen some over 750 last year. (If you live on the best...er west coast that is). So far this year I have logged about 300.

Compared to haulin trash its pretty interesting flying. Maybe not as exciting as flying a jet, but certainly a lot more hours.

Demon AESOp

Yes. In terms of hours flown, maritime patrol in countries with extensive costal areas, security sensitive zones and/or large EEZ's seems to be an exception in peace times. I was referring to the areas where the hour crunch is more acute.

The Auroras (I think they are the Lockheed Martin P-3C Orion anti-submarine planes) do an interesting and important task but the "landscape" is a little flat and monotonous. The Rockies look nicer

Yup, it can get a bit monotonous at times. These days though we do seem to spend more and more time closer to the rocks.

BTW- yes Aurora = Canadian P3

I did two flight in a Norwegian P-3C UIP, and must say that I was impressed alright! Definitively my favorite plank, if any!.
Imagine sitting there with 16.000 horsepower in your hand, that just does it for me!

Hope someone will put down an Aurora here (CYQX) so that I can go for a boot!!

Demon AESOp

Nowadays, with foreign submarine threats greatly reduced and the ongoing war on terror it makes sense to be looking closer to the shores...

BTW - Anyone knows why Canada changes the names and designations of military equipment ?

I don't know other country that changes the names of its equipment even when they are with the same specs

Well guys....what can I say????

Your answers help me a lot and I mean it!!!!!!

I will just drop all the papers this monday at the recruiting office. Then it''s crossing the fingers and hope that I will do find at the tests.

I would surely like to be at the command of an Aurora or a Herc. Always loved the sound of turboprops engine!

Once again, I just want to thank you all. It helps to get some advices from guys who have military experience.

Aurora or Herc????

Well if you must but just remember, to hover is divine.

I''d rather do 18 landings and take offs in 3.5 hours of tactical/operational flying vice boring a hole through the air straight and level for 13 hours zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

Well, don''t get me wrong on this!

I''ve always has great respect for those choppers pilots in the CAF. Got a couple of friends who fly the Griffon at Valcartier........

........but my heart and passion is with fixed wing aircraft......always love the speed!

Love the speed??? Try nap of the earth in the lowly Kiowa. 3 feet off the deck zooming through the trees at 90-100 kts was quite a buzz - certainly more of a impression than going M1+ at Fl450 in a go-fast machine.

if I could pick or choose a military job, it would be in this order, keeping in mind the opportunities you make for yourself if you ever decide to go civilian:

Heli
Transport
Fighter

I figure Heli has the best of both worlds. It easily translates into a civilian job, and it''s pretty damn exciting too!