It Didn't Take Long

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
IMPERIAL, Pa. (AP) _ Southwest Airlines will offer nonstop service from Pittsburgh International Airport to Phoenix starting Oct. 2.

The discount airline had planned to begin the Phoenix flight in November, but more aircraft became available because of flight schedules that were trimmed in other cities due to Hurricane Katrina. The added flights come just days after a judge approved the merger of US Airways and American West. US Airways is the largest carrier in Pittsburgh, and America West has hubs in Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Southwest first began flying out of Pittsburgh International Airport in May by offering nonstop flights to Chicago, Philadelphia, Las Vegas and Orlando, Fla.

Now the airline says it will add nonstop service to Tampa, Fla., and Phoenix on Oct. 2, as well as new flights to Las Vegas, Orlando, Chicago and Philadelphia.

Jim

I read somewhere they have something like the equivalent of 12 or 13 idle aircraft when you take the entire MSY schedule out. Still a bunch of idle planes with a reduced MSY schedule.
At least they're going somewhere they already go and not opening a new station like Charlotte.

JAXPax said:
I read somewhere they have something like the equivalent of 12 or 13 idle aircraft when you take the entire MSY schedule out. Still a bunch of idle planes with a reduced MSY schedule.
At least they're going somewhere they already go and not opening a new station like Charlotte.
[post="303922"][/post]​
Southwest may have a lot more available aircraft after Hurricane Rita slams into Houston.

And then the earth cooled and all the dinosaurs were gone....LOL B) BFD....Blah, Blah, Blah, SWA, SWA, SWA......kind of anti climatic at this point! B)

JAXPax said:
[post="303922"][/post]​
Gary Kelly said 15 in yesterday's webcast.

After you take out the 7 aircraft SWA is not getting from Boeing due to the strike that leaves 8 extra aircraft. No way SWA will use these to start a new city because it takes at least 3 months to set up a new city and have passengers start booking. No sense opening a new city and fly empty.

BoeingBoy said:
IMPERIAL, Pa. (AP) _ Southwest Airlines will offer nonstop service from Pittsburgh International Airport to Phoenix starting Oct. 2.

Now the airline says it will add nonstop service to Tampa, Fla., and Phoenix on Oct. 2, as well as new flights to Las Vegas, Orlando, Chicago and Philadelphia.
Jim

Nonstop to Dallas would be nice my hubby's brother lives there. it would make for a nice weekend trip. but oh that stupid Wright Admendment!

Is SWA acquiring any more gates in PIT? Any chance that SWA add another PHL-LAS flight so I could avoid PIT? PIT is my favorite airport for a stopover, so I won't complain if it can't happen. Just my thoughts..............