It''s The Customers (& Employees) Stupid!

You've hit the nail on the head. I've been saying for a while that people are not attracted to JetBlue solely because of its fares. There IS more to choosing an airline than price. It's becoming evident that, on some routes, JetBlue's fares are actually higher on average than the competition, and I'm not surprised. I have not met anyone who has flown JetBlue who would not fly them again--in fact, the response is almost uniformly "I wish they flew everywhere!" And I'm not just talking about one or two people--as a New Yorker, virtually everyone I know has flown JetBlue by now. Mention any of the majors, by contrast, and the conversation automatically turns into a contest to see who has the best "bad experience" story. You know what I'm talking about.

I don't think JetBlue is immune from competition. Sooner or later, someone--besides Southwest, which has known this for decades--will realize that winning passengers takes more than low fares. Maybe the management at Song, for example, will finally catch on, and maybe they'll give JetBlue a run for its money. But even if they do, I am confident that JetBlue--as long as they can maintain the same customer-driven attitude--will do just fine.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/9/2003 10:00:54 AM AAG2000 wrote:

...I don't think JetBlue is immune from competition. Sooner or later, someone--besides Southwest, which has known this for decades--will realize that winning passengers takes more than low fares. Maybe the management at Song, for example, will finally catch on, and maybe they'll give JetBlue a run for its money. But even if they do, I am confident that JetBlue--as long as they can maintain the same customer-driven attitude--will do just fine.
----------------
[/blockquote]

AMEN!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/9/2003 10:00:54 AM AAG2000 wrote:
I have not met anyone who has flown JetBlue who would not fly them again--in fact, the response is almost uniformly "I wish they flew everywhere!" And I'm not just talking about one or two people--as a New Yorker, virtually everyone I know has flown JetBlue by now. Mention any of the majors, by contrast, and the conversation automatically turns into a contest to see who has the best "bad experience" story.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Many of the "bad experience" stories tend to be blown out of proportion. Also, many of the people who complain about their bad experiences on majors continue to be loyal customers and fly the majors.
It does look like JetBlue does sell a good product right now. But as they expand/grow and begin to "fly everywhere" they may just blend in and become another airline. The novelty will wear off.

[blockquote]
Many of the "bad experience" stories tend to be blown out of proportion. Also, many of the people who complain about their bad experiences on majors continue to be loyal customers and fly the majors.

It does look like JetBlue does sell a good product right now. But as they expand/grow and begin to "fly everywhere" they may just blend in and become another airline. The novelty will wear off.

----------------
[/blockquote]

I think you have a very valid point. The true test will be if B6 can continue to deliver the 'experience' to their customers in a manner that will keep them coming back as they grow from a gnat to a fly. There is where WN comes to mind as they have maintained the same image and delivered the same product throughout their span. Novelty has not been a factor after the initial time but they continued to deliver the WN experience. Time will tell.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/9/2003 4:09:48 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Many of those that continue to fly the majors, despite bad experiences, are travelers that are mired down by airline frequent flyer programs. They are so wrapped up in earning miles that they are willing to put up with a bad experience here and there. They have the airlines credit cards, they stay only in hotels and use car rental companies that are linked with that carriers program. All so they can acquire and maintain some sort of elite status with that carrier or earn free tickets. At best, most of the time the service that the majors provide is simply average - and I work for one of the majors. Jet Blue has a frequent flyer program but it really is one of the worst, yet they continue to build a loyal base of customers. Even as the major airlines are matching the low Jet Blue fares. The only real answer can be that the customer service is just better. Just as Southwest is routinely a better experience for the leisure traveler, which by the way make up the majority of our travelers now a days. Don't make the mistake of thinking that Jet Blue and Southwest will eventually fade into the big blur of the major airlines. Our leaders have done that already and, in great part, that can be blamed for many carriers current financial position.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/10/2003 10:02:27 AM jbu320 wrote:

I think you have a very valid point. The true test will be if B6 can continue to deliver the 'experience' to their customers in a manner that will keep them coming back as they grow from a gnat to a fly. There is where WN comes to mind as they have maintained the same image and delivered the same product throughout their span. Novelty has not been a factor after the initial time but they continued to deliver the WN experience. Time will tell.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Costs are also crucial!! AA has customers who really really like its Coach product. Customers Satisfaction is fabulous, couldn't hope for much better! Unfortunatly AA's costs are compleatly out of wack with what its customers are willing to pay!! To be successfull JB is going to have to keep doing what its doing while keeping a lid on its costs.