It's the fares stupid. Americans are being forced to fly

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
Having knowledge of several flights that are booked past capacity on a daily basis makes me wonder what is really going on. I mean if flight X seats 144 and is booked to 160 daily AND goes out with full capacity daily, shouldn't fares be raised on that city pair?????
Isn't the law of supply and demand still for today? I'm not the smartest guy in the world but the scoreboard shows that American's are being forced to fly because of gas prices at the pump. This involves me with an airline ticket purchase for next month. Last I checked, US AIRWAYS Load factor was close to 85% systemwide. So why not raise ticket prices about $100 in markets that we have a stranglehold on? What gives?

Why keep coming to labor? Why not fix the fares and 'rightsize' them? certainly there is alot of wiggle room at 85% load factors. And does this airline really need a 105% load factor to break even based on current ticket prices? How bout fixing the fares and stop worrying about charging $3 for pillows and blankies.

Having knowledge of several flights that are booked past capacity on a daily basis makes me wonder what is really going on. I mean if flight X seats 144 and is booked to 160 daily AND goes out with full capacity daily, shouldn't fares be raised on that city pair?????
Isn't the law of supply and demand still for today? I'm not the smartest guy in the world but the scoreboard shows that American's are being forced to fly because of gas prices at the pump. This involves me with an airline ticket purchase for next month. Last I checked, US AIRWAYS Load factor was close to 85% systemwide. So why not raise ticket prices about $100 in markets that we have a stranglehold on? What gives?

Why keep coming to labor? Why not fix the fares and 'rightsize' them? certainly there is alot of wiggle room at 85% load factors. And does this airline really need a 105% load factor to break even based on current ticket prices? How bout fixing the fares and stop worrying about charging $3 for pillows and blankies.

Tim…

Raising ticket prices would be counterproductive to the current agenda of most Commercial Airlines to absolutely… crush… the entire organized labor workforce!

If and when... they achieve this goal… You will see fares finally began to move upward.

In the meantime… it will be up to the strongest Union Leaders in the industry, to fight against this travesty.

This was posted on the other thread.

To Vancouver from:
- Los Angeles... $118
- Phoenix... $252
- Philadelphia... $176

What the hell is going on???? One can't drive from PHL to PIT without burning $120 and change. Who in the world is offering these fares from PHL to vancouver for a buck 76?

As a labor leader, I say screw future concessions. Most concessions are a mockery anyways with monies going into corporate america's bonus and stock programs.
If the place shuts down then so be it.
Remember, any concession will just give management more time to manage badly and produce goofy fares like above. Again, I'm not the smartest guy in the world but everyone knows the real problem is the fares. With our new union leaders, no way does the ramp take any more concessions. BTW, i suggest the masses in other crafts throw out any deadbeat union officer that is even hinting at concessions.

regards,
Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman, 1487, Chicago

Only WN is keeping it head above the water. And they'll start yelling for relief
after their current hedges run out.
Transportation is a national priority. Maybe the next congress will take it seriously.
What other developed country has not seen the light on transportation?

The problem is there is still to much capacity. If we raise our fares $100, or even $20.00, the cheap seats we were getting now jump ship and go to someone else. It's better to get something than nothing. The solution to this problem was to create mergers so airlines could combine operations and reduce capacity. That way, when we raised fares to a profitable level, the consumer couldn't jump ship because there are no seats to jump to. They would have to pay the price or not fly. Sadly, that didn't happen.

So the next option to reduce capacity is for someone to go away. If the experts are correct, we are the first airline that will fail. Thus, the move to the ala carte pricing and reduction of amenities to make an attempt at survival or to ensure someone else falls first.

This is what the airlines don't get. Like Gaucho said, the cheap people will go somewhere else if the fares go up $20??? LET EM. Those are not the people you want to cater to--the loyal business traveler will more often than not pay a premium to 1. fly his airline of choice or 2. get a more CONVENIENT flight which meets his or her needs.

Time to stop being afraid of "kettles" leaving. They lose the airline money every time you fly them when they book the artificially lower fares.

It's natural selection folks--survival of the fittest. The airlines have to ALL raise prices and let the dust settle where it may. Oh but that would be illegal then wouldn't it?

There is no easy answer, but nickel and diming you to death is not it, and neither is scaring off what few high yield elites you have left.

This was posted on the other thread.

To Vancouver from:
- Los Angeles... $118
- Phoenix... $252
- Philadelphia... $176

What the hell is going on???? One can't drive from PHL to PIT without burning $120 and change. Who in the world is offering these fares from PHL to vancouver for a buck 76?

As a labor leader, I say screw future concessions. Most concessions are a mockery anyways with monies going into corporate america's bonus and stock programs.
If the place shuts down then so be it.
Remember, any concession will just give management more time to manage badly and produce goofy fares like above. Again, I'm not the smartest guy in the world but everyone knows the real problem is the fares. With our new union leaders, no way does the ramp take any more concessions. BTW, i suggest the masses in other crafts throw out any deadbeat union officer that is even hinting at concessions.

regards,
Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman, 1487, Chicago
You voted, and got your RAISE! We are still waiting for OURS! Goofy fairs, how bout goofy wages?? :blink: :)