Jerry Lewis' comments

rjh

Veteran
Aug 22, 2005
During the annual MDA telethon, Jerry Lewis used the word "###", which he later apologized for. People commenting on this basically say "big deal", or "he meant no harm", etc.

I agree with those comments 100%. I am gay, but was not the least offended when I read about this. He is a comedian, and he was attmepting to be funny. I don't believe for a second that he meant any harm. The first amendment protects his right to say this.

But, I also believe that the majority of people that are saying it's his first amendment right to say "###", would NOT say the same thing if he used the "n" word or if he made a joke that offended christians.

Along those lines, there is too much censorship on what we say. Why is it so bad to say "s***", but not "poop"? THe words mean the exact same thing. Why are people SO afraid of the word "f***"? Words are only offensive because we say they are. WE can't fully claim to have "free speech" if these words are not allowed on TV, radio, etc.

RJH.

The fact that there is a double standard in this country is nothing new. Unfortunately, I think each generation seems to have a group of people who it is OK to ridicule. Seems today the Gay are a legitimate target. It is 'OK' to deprive you of equal treatment under the law. It is OK to blame you for some of the ills that have befallen the 'rest of us' .. etc.

I agree with you that he meant no harm by it but it still bothers me that a derogatory name like that is used or acceptable in todays society. It bothers me that someone is comfortable saying the word. There are certain words that I do not even like to think much less say. The fact that he did say it, bothers me to the degree that he is comfortable using the word.

I know that some gays do use the word and that some blacks use the other word but that does not make it right. It bugs me for the same reason what Imus said bugs me. I do not think of peopl ein those terms and I do not understand people who do.

Smity,

If you are not interested in the topic then STFU and move on. I am sure people have thought the same of some of your ideas but had the common courtesy to keep their thoughts private. I believe the concept is called common courtesy. Perhaps you will look into it but some how I doubt it.

rjh,

If you get a chance, Whoppi Goldberg had a stand up gig on Bravo. She has an interesting take on things that I think you might appreciate.

One of her skits was on words, their usage and how we look at them. She made the comment that people can get so upset by simple words and that the words we get upset by are not really bad. It is the words that we use on a regular basis that can have a much more lasting affect and be much more hurtful. She gave the example with the word F$%k. She does not understand why people are so offended by it. People can say Friging A and everybody knows exactly what you said but that is OK. She went on to say that the words we use on a regular basis can be far worse but since they are not 'curse words' no one blinks an eye. She went n to say that the one of the words she hates the most is "stupid". That word spoken to a child can last for ever and have a very detrimental effect. She said that you cannot really say the word stupid with a smile, but f%&k can.

A side from learning a different view point she is funnier than hell. If you get a chance to see it, I think you will enjoy it.