JetBlue CEO says strategy under review, again

Hot Nuts

May 12, 2007
Dave Barger says would have a clearer picture in about 60 days, says .sale of more planes possible
June 13 2007: 5:47 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- JetBlue Airways Corp. is in the midst of a second "rigorous" review of its business strategy, but could sell more planes if necessary, the company's new chief executive said Wednesday.

Dave Barger, who took over for David Neeleman a month ago, told a Merrill Lynch conference that he would have a clearer picture in about 60 days on the airline's direction.

JetBlue reduced its growth outlook last year and Barger said cost discipline since has been good. "But there is still opportunity for improvement," he said.

JetBlue, past mishap, named No. 1 in service
The company stretched deliveries in 2006 and sold five Airbus A320s to moderate expansion. Barger did not rule out the sale of more aircraft in the future.

He also said all options are being considered to improve revenue in key markets, but that the carrier had no plans to introduce first-class seating.

Low-cost JetBlue is facing weaker demand, like other carriers, and is bracing for stiffer competition from established rivals this summer, including start-up Virgin America.

Barger said JetBlue can also look at new routes in the West and Midwest for its fleet of Embraer 190s, a Brazilian-made 100-seat regional jet the carrier has been flying close to its East Coast base while working through operating problems.

JetBlue (Charts) shares rose 1.3 percent in Wednesday trade on the New York Stock Exchange.

Dave Barger says would have a clearer picture in about 60 days, says .sale of more planes possible
June 13 2007: 5:47 PM EDT
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- JetBlue Airways Corp. is in the midst of a second "rigorous" review of its business strategy, but could sell more planes if necessary, the company's new chief executive said Wednesday.

Dave Barger, who took over for David Neeleman a month ago, told a Merrill Lynch conference that he would have a clearer picture in about 60 days on the airline's direction.

JetBlue reduced its growth outlook last year and Barger said cost discipline since has been good. "But there is still opportunity for improvement," he said.

JetBlue, past mishap, named No. 1 in service
The company stretched deliveries in 2006 and sold five Airbus A320s to moderate expansion. Barger did not rule out the sale of more aircraft in the future.

He also said all options are being considered to improve revenue in key markets, but that the carrier had no plans to introduce first-class seating.

Low-cost JetBlue is facing weaker demand, like other carriers, and is bracing for stiffer competition from established rivals this summer, including start-up Virgin America.

Barger said JetBlue can also look at new routes in the West and Midwest for its fleet of Embraer 190s, a Brazilian-made 100-seat regional jet the carrier has been flying close to its East Coast base while working through operating problems.

JetBlue (Charts) shares rose 1.3 percent in Wednesday trade on the New York Stock Exchange.

60days hmmm sounds like a merge

Even SWA is now saying that 8% growth for the year is too much. I look for SWA to start delaying a/c deliveries. You manage in bad times so that you are around to enjoy the good times. just my thoughts........

From what I am hearing its going to be a "three-way". UAL, USA,and Blue

Just look at the auto industry and the steel industry
and these other maturing industries and one can't help but be led to a conclusion that there will be consolidation. Just merging the cultures and connecting the people together. Jetblue will end up like New York Air. jetblue was like cancer grow grow grow and now its merge merge merge. So just wait and see how Jetblue is really going to change course.

Even SWA is now saying that 8% growth for the year is too much. I look for SWA to start delaying a/c deliveries. You manage in bad times so that you are around to enjoy the good times. just my thoughts........
I doubt it.

From what I understand our older -300 aircraft are scheduled to be retired and the new aircraft inbound will be the replacements.

Provided nothing changes......Who knows in this industry.