Jetways in PHX

usairways_321

May 18, 2009
I was waiting to get on my dad's flight (he is a captain for US Airways) in PHX a couple of weekends ago and I was wondering around. Anywho, at about three or four gates the jetways were detached from the terminal building and just sitting on the tarmac. I believe I overheard a gate agent saying that this was happening in lieu of A321 deliveries (she said this "yeah the jetways are like that because we need more A321 gates"). Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

Hey there, welcome to the boards.

Currently there is only one gate inop because its jetway has been detached and this is A6. This is the only time I've ever seen a jet bridge decoupled from the concourse in PHX since I've been here. I am not sure exactly why it was taken down; my suspicion is repairs since the A6 jetway has had a reputation for going kaput from time to time. Though since it was taken down I have not seen anyone working on it.

I don't think it has to do with the 321's since they were already going into A6 without any kind of obvious problem up to this point. A few gates had their Airbus J-lines extended and another block added for the 321's more recently, these being A3, A6, B6, and A23, and all of these could already accommodate 757's on a separate J-line except A23. Including the international gates, 13 out of 43 mainline-use gates currently have 321 blocks on them.

On the subject, there are a number of gates that are currently 737 only and these may need to be re-engineered/removed/shifted in order to accommodate 319's/320's (since the 737's are being phased out of the West fleet); this unless some E190's make their way out here.

Jetway adjustments would also be conceivably necessary if US were to want a widebody capable gate of our own for domestic service (Hawaii or CLT), i.e. not have to use the shared gates on the international concourse (but any WB service through PHX is a long shot).

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers!

Its been a long time, but I think we used to use A11 and A13 for dual boarding of the 747.

That would have been cool to see. That was before my time and I think the gates on the N2 concourse have been reconfigured since then; for example the original A14 J-Line was longer and slanted from the current (one which runs straight north-south) and it had a 767 block on it. A20 also had a 767 J-line of its own at one time.

I do recall one being ripped from the concourse once back in 2000 or 2001. You can actual go-fast enough to do just that.

Hey there, welcome to the boards.

Currently there is only one gate inop because its jetway has been detached and this is A6. This is the only time I've ever seen a jet bridge decoupled from the concourse in PHX since I've been here. I am not sure exactly why it was taken down; my suspicion is repairs since the A6 jetway has had a reputation for going kaput from time to time. Though since it was taken down I have not seen anyone working on it.

I don't think it has to do with the 321's since they were already going into A6 without any kind of obvious problem up to this point. A few gates had their Airbus J-lines extended and another block added for the 321's more recently, these being A3, A6, B6, and A23, and all of these could already accommodate 757's on a separate J-line except A23. Including the international gates, 13 out of 43 mainline-use gates currently have 321 blocks on them.

On the subject, there are a number of gates that are currently 737 only and these may need to be re-engineered/removed/shifted in order to accommodate 319's/320's (since the 737's are being phased out of the West fleet); this unless some E190's make their way out here.

Jetway adjustments would also be conceivably necessary if US were to want a widebody capable gate of our own for domestic service (Hawaii or CLT), i.e. not have to use the shared gates on the international concourse (but any WB service through PHX is a long shot).

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers!

Thanks!

I saw the other one's while taxiing and they had lots of construction type trucks around them so I thought they were getting ripped out too. I guess not haha.

Thanks for all the info!

I saw the other one's while taxiing and they had lots of construction type trucks around them so I thought they were getting ripped out too. I guess not haha.

Hmm...I'm not sure what the City of Phoenix might be doing with the jetways at the other terminals. I'll post if I find out...

I think you are correct if my memory serves me correctly.

Remember the gates for the 747 at T3? Way at the end, take the More Care Cart to the extension, then at the gate, the big salt water aquarium? Fun times, those planes may have been crap, but FC in the nose, or Business in the upper deck sure was fun.

you know. wide bodies in phx may become a reality sooner than you think. with the 5 a330's coming this year, you might see some 767's flying phl-phx or even clt -phx.

you know. wide bodies in phx may become a reality sooner than you think. with the 5 a330's coming this year, you might see some 767's flying phl-phx or even clt -phx.

the 767s were all just refurbished....there not going anywhere anytime soon.... i have a strong feeling you might seem them going phl/clt - phx - hnl/ogg. I think the plan is to shift some of them to hawaii flying w/ east f/a's until a f/a contract is done.

Fun times, those planes may have been crap, but FC in the nose, or Business in the upper deck sure was fun.

In 1991, before my employment with America West, I surprised my wife with a trip to Hawaii for our 20th anniversary. She had no clue at all despite me prearranging it with her employer and anyone else who needed to know. I picked her up for what was supposed to be lunch and went to the airport amd she immediately started both crying and worrying about work. I didn't even tell her where we were going as I checked the bags. (I had packed her myself, including all her cosmetics.) As we walked out to the flight she was looking at all the planes going everywhere and was trying to guess. We got to the end and there was the 747 for Hawaii. I mistakenly went to the wrong door and the gate agent said "Oh no Mr. X, you are in business class and need to walk to the other gate. My wife was in tears and we went to the front door and went upstairs to business class. The FA's saw her crying, thought something was wrong, and asked why she was crying? She told the story and we ended up with very exceptional service, as well as a bottle of wine as a parting gift. It was great.

When we got to Hawaii she still didn't know where we were going as I led her to the Inter-Island Terminal where we boarded a flight for Maui. Even then I didn't tell her where we were going as we drove to Wailea, where we stayed at the brand new Grand Wailea. The whole trip was insanely wonderful and something that we probably will never again see for pure WOW factor and the fact that it was a huge surprise for her and that the secret was kept for nine months, plus there wasn't a single service failure by anyone the entire trip.

B6 is being repaired because a large bushing was badly damaged and was pretty close to doing severe damage to the post that holds the jetway off the ground. This could have caused catastrophic damage to the jetway causing it to fall.

B6 is being repaired because a large bushing was badly damaged and was pretty close to doing severe damage to the post that holds the jetway off the ground. This could have caused catastrophic damage to the jetway causing it to fall.

Wasn't that a stationary jetway?

Latest posts