Agent

nycbusdriver said:A lot has been talked about regarding who closes what and what needs to be closed when. That's all fine and good. But as long as the parking brake and start levers are in the cockpit, the flight really gets closed when the captain is satisfied that the flight is ready to proceed. Had I been captain of the BOS flight this pilot was attempting to board, we would have taken a crew delay for me to meet face-to-face with the shift manager and make company policy known, in "no uncertain terms" on the jetway away from passenger ears.

I will not get into a heated debate over a previously negotiated contractual agreement with all due respect. I must say that if I were the shift manager you were going to address, I would have let you know that the gate agent is under no obligation to accomodate any pilots travelling on leisure who fail to present themselves in a timely manner to the gate, regardless of riding as a non-rev or in the jumpseat. There is additional time required in processing a jumpseat rider to reflect his presence onboard the aircraft. I, for one, would not recommend anyone getting on any aircraft at any time without being on the flight manifest. If there would be an accident, the insurance companies would have serious issues settling any outstanding claims on behalf of the "ghostrider". In conclusion we are in the business of caring for our paying customers and giving them the highest priority in our day-to-day business. I am not saying that internal customers should be cast aside, but we must keep on track as to who pays the freight. I respectfully understand your position, but, in my eyes the customer wins!

Frontier69 said:
nycbusdriver said:A lot has been talked about regarding who closes what and what needs to be closed when. That's all fine and good. But as long as the parking brake and start levers are in the cockpit, the flight really gets closed when the captain is satisfied that the flight is ready to proceed. Had I been captain of the BOS flight this pilot was attempting to board, we would have taken a crew delay for me to meet face-to-face with the shift manager and make company policy known, in "no uncertain terms" on the jetway away from passenger ears.

I will not get into a heated debate over a previously negotiated contractual agreement with all due respect. I must say that if I were the shift manager you were going to address, I would have let you know that the gate agent is under no obligation to accomodate any pilots travelling on leisure who fail to present themselves in a timely manner to the gate, regardless of riding as a non-rev or in the jumpseat. There is additional time required in processing a jumpseat rider to reflect his presence onboard the aircraft. I, for one, would not recommend anyone getting on any aircraft at any time without being on the flight manifest. If there would be an accident, the insurance companies would have serious issues settling any outstanding claims on behalf of the "ghostrider". In conclusion we are in the business of caring for our paying customers and giving them the highest priority in our day-to-day business. I am not saying that internal customers should be cast aside, but we must keep on track as to who pays the freight. I respectfully understand your position, but, in my eyes the customer wins!
As I said, there is a party responsible for every concern you just cited. That person is the captain. Remember? The person that the FAR's call the "final authority?" Does the concept even ring a bell?

After switching to SABRE we went back in time a number of years.
After using it, Why would you be suprised about the things we
can't do with it?

nycbusdriver said:
You're absolutely right, except for cockpit jumpseat riders.

The pilot contract (what's left of it, anyway) stipulates that a last minute jumpseat rider WILL be accomodated with the captain's approval. The captain's approval is ALL, and i mean ALL, that is required for a pilot to get jumpseat until the boarding door is closed. (And on my flights, if the push hasn't started and I am made aware of a jumpseater's need to board, the boarding door will be reopened.)

The language specifically states that the OF-48 form IS NOT required. The captain only needs to inform Operations and CLP of the presence of the rider and his/her name so that the weight & balance is correct.

Again, there is SPECIFIC LANGUAGE allowing LAST MINUTE cockpit jumpseat riders.

I always check-in with the agent, time permitting, and fill out the form. If time is critical, and the agent ignores me, I take myself to see the captain and explain my request and why I haven't checked-in with the agent.

A lot has been talked about regarding who closes what and what needs to be closed when. That's all fine and good. But as long as the parking brake and start levers are in the cockpit, the flight really gets closed when the captain is satisfied that the flight is ready to proceed. Had I been captain of the BOS flight this pilot was attempting to board, we would have taken a crew delay for me to meet face-to-face with the shift manager and make company policy known, in "no uncertain terms" on the jetway away from passenger ears.
Well, then, somebody needs to educate field agents of this info.

Keep in mind, the FAA/TSA is up our six to maintain security. God doesn't go down the jetway without appropriate paperwork or I.D., plain and simple.

Oh lowly agents (both ramp and c/s). When willl you ever understand? The 5th figure of the God-Head (pilots) (sorry guys but clergy are the 4th) must always get what they want. Always, my dear children, remember that they are to be feared and obeyed regardless of whether right or wrong! Also, work on accepting your lowly status. Never challange diety! If you always give them what they want...when they want it, you will get along ok with them...otherewise they will become upset and you may have to expierence their wrath. You must learn to always understand their status and yours.
:rolleyes:

RedOne said:
Oh lowly agents (both ramp and c/s). When willl you ever understand? The 5th figure of the God-Head (pilots) (sorry guys but clergy are the 4th) must always get what they want. Always, my dear children, remember that they are to be feared and obeyed regardless of whether right or wrong! Also, work on accepting your lowly status. Never challange diety! If you always give them what they want...when they want it, you will get along ok with them...otherewise they will become upset and you may have to expierence their wrath. You must learn to always understand their status and yours.
:rolleyes:
Well....it's a start.

I'm back after a two day trip. Spoke with 14 agents, not one knew about the late ACM. It went from, hey we'll get you on, to the flight is closed, too bad.
From Load in Phl. The agent enters a PDC at the gate.What that's is, I don't know except' it takes a supervisor to break it. However, when the C/O calls load, they add the ACM at their station. In his 16 years he told me, he has never gone back to the gate. And all at his station, all are at the superviser level.
How about a station like CMH I ask with no local load I ask? C/O Calls OPPs he says, they call CLP, And a new W/B vis ACARS. Again, no agent input.
Having said all that, On time departure comes first. No pilot will dissagree on that. But if the jet way is still atached, it's in the FOM, and our contract.

Diogenes:
Ask your lead to get a copy from Flight, and have it posted. It would HELP.

Frontier:
I don't know, have a nice day, stay out of the sun.

Red One,
You make me laugh.
You hear about the one from Nantucket?

About the crack about pulling an agent into the jetway and "letting know in no uncertain terms"...well, If I'm going to be yelled at for something at my job, it will only be once, and that by MY boss. NOT a fellow employee. The crewmember should take it up in the proper chain of command, not directly with an agent. Thats just chicken#%# to directly confront another employee(unless immediate SAFETY dictates)

elmerfishpaw said:
About the crack about pulling an agent into the jetway and "letting know in no uncertain terms"...well, If I'm going to be yelled at for something at my job, it will only be once, and that by MY boss. NOT a fellow employee. The crewmember should take it up in the proper chain of command, not directly with an agent. Thats just chicken#%# to directly confront another employee(unless immediate SAFETY dictates)
I believe he said the "shift manager."

Take it up with a pilot supervisor/chief pilot who takes it up with a shift manager...still need to follow the channels....not have a "discussion" on the jet way(too amatuerish)

Atlantic said:
Red One,
You make me laugh.
You hear about the one from Nantucket?
Nope. Although, I must admit, I have a bad case of C.R.S. :shock: May have heard it and forgotten. Comes from so many years in this business. Share it please. Oh, by the way, I wasn't trying to be funny...just giving the facts man. Just giving the facts. Don't believe me? Take a pole (they are popular on this site! lol) :D

Red,
Some are stuck on, well, whatever.
If I go beyond Nantucket, I'll get creamed by the moderator.
You play pool?

pool? Yes, I have been known to dive off the high board at the deep end of a pool....then dog paddle to shallow water! But mostly I just lay on my belly at poolside and look. :p Hey! I just figured out why they call me a "dirty ole dog" ....it's because of my swimming stroke?! lol .....haven't played pool (billards) in years