Advanced
Contributor
Sep 22, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
April 26, 2006
TO: Comair Team
RE: Judge Rules Against Comair’s Motion
Today, the Bankruptcy Court ruled against Comair’s motion to reject the current flight attendant
working agreement. The current contract will remain in place, and we will continue to fly our
operation and serve customers for as long as possible.
The judge’s decision is a tremendous setback for us, and as difficult as it is to acknowledge, the
survival of our airline is clearly in jeopardy. Today’s development takes the future from
Comair’s control, and now our destiny – including our fleet size, flying and potential
replacement by another carrier – is unclear.
Without an agreement from our flight attendants, our restructuring plan and flying operation are
likely to fail despite the incredible progress we have made on our fleet negotiations and other
cost reductions in our operation, supply chain and maintenance. As we’ve known, any future
growth awards from Delta and our return to profitability was predicated on the $70 million
reduction across our organization, including $42 million in controllable costs.
The changes to pay and benefits over the last months have been difficult on employees, and the
court process has been unsettling for many. We truly regret that our company and people are in
this position.
We will keep you updated on any developments.

Never ceases to amaze me management's same old retorhic of doom and gloom to the entire enterprise because they can't furher impoverish a labor group such as the flight attendants. The entire operation is contingent on decreasing flight attendant's pay. I don't think Comair should be in business if they can't pay a livable wage to the f/a group who are paid one of the lowest pays in the entire industry.

Kudos to the judge in recognizing that the f/as would not financially survive personally, and ruled in the f/as favor.

USAirways Bankruptcy Judge Mitchell was "snowed" by U's exec. managment team, BOD and ruled against all of labor twice, along with dumping retirement medical to all retirees and pension plans, and giving the company 21% emergency relief in addition to all previous wage concessions. But yet, rules to bestow on all of NON-labor retention bonuses and severance packages.

Hideous and pathetic, indeed. :down:

Nope, I won't ever forget.

how true that statement is! It is about dam time that a judge somewhere's in the US and World rules in favor of a unionized group.

Bob,

He ruled because the f/as of COMAIR are one of the lowest paid of any airline. When America West applied for the ATSB loan in 2002, the Board from ATSB ruled that the f/as of AWA need not give any concession to qualify for the ATSB as their pay at that time was extremely low.

Funny, that is where the East U f/as wage is today...4 years later.
In 2002, at the time U was begging for the ATSB loan, DELTA still had $2 BILLION in the bank. It took them 3 years to burn through it...which was predicted by yours truly and put in writing to all of U Senior management in 2002 via e-mail. Yup, yours truly again. Jerry was very aware that I knew his MO day #1. That is why he feared what I wrote and what I said. I covinced many members, but couldn't convince AFA International or the MEC Leadership of that time that we didn't have to give all that we did.

IT was predicted that all the legacies would either go into BK or use BK as a threat to bust the unions...why? Just because in bk, you can.

DL, NW, AA, CO, United and U will survive, without a sweat. There was never any doubt in my mind...just doubt on ALPA's majority leadership, AFA majority leadership including AFA International PResident and AFA Staff negotiating commitee, IAM majority leadership, CWA majority leadership. Just Pawns in a Chess game.

When you act like a coward, you are a coward. Jerry Glass knew what I knew. There was NO WAY that he would allow for liquidation of a company with his name and reputation on the line. He just knew the psyche of Labor leaders and how to manipulate them. Hell, most of them were blind as they were not use to dealing with the likes of Jerry, union-Buster, G.

Teamsters Ready and Waiting for Company to Bargain in Good Faith

April 26, 2006
(Cincinnati, OH) -- Today Federal Bankruptcy Judge Adlai Hardin refused Delta Comair's motion to reject the Teamster contract, which covers 1,100 flight attendants.

"I applaud our flight attendants for taking a strong stand to protect their families and communities in the face of Delta Comair's draconian demands," said Jim Hoffa, Teamsters General President. "This is the second time that we have won this type of motion in the airline industry and we will continue to fight for our members during these tough times."

The judge found that Comair had not bargained in good faith and had failed to meet the requirements of being fair and proportionate in its concession demands.
http://www.teamster.org/divisions/airline/...ir_decision.pdf
"Comair's non-negotiable demand was that the flight attendants contribute twice their ... share of the cost cuts, while the pilots and mechanics were asked for less than their proportionate shares, based on 2005 compensation," Judge Hardin's decision said. "This wide disparity in treatment ... and the fact that the flight attendants are at or near the lowest pay scale of all Comair's employees and therefore the least able to afford severe cuts in their wages, compel me to the conclusion that ... It is not 'fair and equitable' to ask of the flight attendants double their pro rata share based on their share of employee compensation."

Teamster flight attendants were thrilled with the decision.

"This shows that the court agrees that we were being asked to shoulder onerous and unreasonable cuts," said Connie Slayback, President of Local 513 in Cincinnati. "We are still willing to do our fair share in response to the Delta Comair bankruptcy and will return to the bargaining table when the company agrees to bargain in good faith."

Founded in 1903, the Teamsters Union represents more than 1.4 million hardworking men and women in the United States and Canada.

Well then.

Thanks john john, for posting the link.

Perhaps every labor member needs to solicit for the Teamsters union. They obviously have strength, power, and their members stand with them.

Kudos TEAMSTERS!

Bob,

I knew the Internationals MO. I am not delusional. If I knew Jerry G, I surely knew AFA International's MO as well. I just couldn't make my feelings public and have the members lose all faith in their union. Not while on my watch.

I made more noise than anyone, and basically lost my union membership as AFA refused to accept my monthly union dues once I left on the VFLR. They misrepresented and mislead the AFA Exec Board (Which Mike (MECP)F. spearheaded on the Constitutional language with help of their most inept General Counsel. I have proof of his (AFA attorney) error in an e-mail that he wrote in 2002 to a previous AFA International Sec. Treas, that blatantly CONTRIDICTS his current ruling with me, and returning me my union dues.

I could take it to the National Labor Board, make a huge stink for International which would take much of my energy. I still may. Many of the U MEC members think I should avidly pursue this.

The AFA International Elections are this year, and they didn't want me to pay dues and possibly run against one of them...specifically the AFA International President. Refusing my union dues and not allowing me to remain active was political AFA manuvering.

There, now I made it public.

I could take it to the National Labor Board, make a huge stink for International which would take much of my energy. I still may. Many of the U MEC members think I should avidly pursue this.

The AFA International Elections are this year, and they didn't want me to pay dues and possibly run against one of them...specifically the AFA International President. Refusing my union dues and not allowing me to remain active was political AFA manuvering.

You so need to run with this. I'd pay to watch. Hell, I'll toss in a couple of bucks for the legal fund.

Clue,

LOL...thanks. I have a really excellent job with a great company, even negotiated my own contract. Though I am out of the Labor arena,I never forget my roots, and for that, I often have sad feelings. Sometimes I think I shouldn't have left a great group of people at U.

In retrospect, I don't think I could work for an organization like AFA, and all of the International ineptness, and self serving agendas. The U MEC level was and is much better and you are much closer to the membership. I think if Pat F., International President gets replaced, then much change will occur on the International level. If she stays for a 4th term, then, its "same old/same old". And Labor won' get the chance to elevate themselves. At AFA, its all about electing good leaders who aval themselves to the membership, not just the leadership.

I would, however, wouldn't mind consulting for the Teamsters or IAM in their future negotiations.

Clue,

LOL...thanks. I have a really excellent job with a great company, even negotiated my own contract.

What, not employed at-will? Live a little. ;)

I'd still toss in a couple of bucks, buy the beer, and pop the popcorn. You and I have disagreed at points over where and when a union is appropriate and their role, but I still believe that any employer who has a union on the property truly deserves it.

With that said, the AFA (particularly the current group of subclowns running the U MEC) deserves you in the fold in one form or another.

What I'd really like to see is the RC4 force you a consulting contract for ALPA. The subsequent implosion from Flushing, Boston, and somewhere in Cranberry would be worth it. I'd fly in to watch.

Clue,

I remember way back when, you and I spared about "survival of the fittest vs. "brother's keeper"...remember? LOL...hmm, 2003.

I have learned through your posts your method of keen insightfullness, logic, intelligence,and yes...passion. YOU could tame a mighty lion.

I'll just take the beer. Whenever you are in town, my friend. :p