Just another rumor ....

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
There's a rumor floating around that USAirways will approach Delta again????
this story is unrelated but it does make you wonder what Delta's new boss is thinking.

Delta's Chief Operating Officer Resigns After Losing Out on CEO Job

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc. said Wednesday that Chief Operating Officer James Whitehurst, who was passed over for the carrier's top job, has resigned effective immediately.
Outgoing Chief Executive Gerald Grinstein said in a statement that Delta had hoped Whitehurst would stay, but the airline respects "his decision to move on in pursuit of new challenges."

The nation's No. 3 carrier said last week that former Northwest Airlines Chief Executive Richard Anderson would become Delta's new CEO on Sept. 1.

Whitehurst and Delta Chief Financial Officer Ed Bastian had both been top internal candidates to replace Grinstein but were passed over. Bastian, who received a promotion, is staying with Delta.

"Jim was a hard-charging champion of Delta's people who earned the admiration of us all, and an effective ambassador for the transformation he helped craft," Grinstein said. "With Richard, Ed and the rest of Delta's management team, I am confident the airline remains in good hands and will move forward with its solid plan with the same inclusiveness, respect and commitment to excellence that have become the hallmarks of the great progress Delta people have made together."

The company's statement did not detail Whitehurst's future plans.

In a memo to employees Wednesday, Whitehurst said that after careful thought, he decided it was time to "move on to the next chapter of my career."

Whitehurst said he believes the company will be in good hands under Anderson's leadership.

Atlanta-based Delta fought hard during bankruptcy to avoid being taken over by another carrier. Less than four months after exiting Chapter 11, it reignited speculation about a future merger by naming Anderson as its CEO.

The appointment of Anderson, a board member at Delta and former executive at UnitedHealth Group Inc., followed the airline's 19 1/2-month reorganization under bankruptcy protection. Delta entered Chapter 11 on Sept. 14, 2005, and emerged on April 30.

In bankruptcy, Delta shed billions in costs and restructured the carrier's operations. It also survived a hostile takeover bid by Tempe, Ariz.-based US Airways Group Inc.

Delta executives, faced with questions about a post-bankruptcy valuation below what they initially projected and below what US Airways offered for Delta, have declined to speculate about whether the airline would consider a deal with another carrier to increase shareholder value.

Anderson has said consolidation will not be Delta's focus for the immediate future. He also has said there are no plans for a merger with Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest Airlines Corp.

THIS is NO Rumour, It is more like a Crackheads fantasy he was airlifted to a desert filled with mounds of crack as wide as the eye can see. There will be NO DELTA and no GD CHINA!! (Fortune cookies....Yes. Just check out my Snack Basket. :lol: Keep DELTA their DELTA.)

There are no leaders in the I AM, they are just followers of Labor.

But, I wouldn't dismiss a merger at this time. I think it will be announced very shortly and I believe it will be UNITED or shock us with SOUTHWEST !

IBT?
What the hell does the IBT have to do with US or DL?
There is nothing DL could gain from buying US except to part it out. Do you think that the US bid for DL was for any reason other then to sell of its major competitor? In the words of Mr. Grinstein, if you think this merger, US/DL, is “ not going to reduce your hubs, you're not going to reduce frequencies, you're not going to consolidate flights and reduce planes, you believe in Tinker Bell

No offense Deltawatch but you should have been a little embarrassed to post this rumor.

There are no leaders in the I AM, they are just followers of Labor.

But, I wouldn't dismiss a merger at this time. I think it will be announced very shortly and I believe it will be UNITED or shock us with SOUTHWEST !

What kind of "rocks" are those Philly? The kind you smoke through a pipe? I mean, really, SOUTHWEST? Not in a gazillion years for reasons too numerous (and obvious) to print here.

Since when has our company done anything rational? I was just stating I wouldn't put anything and I mean anything past these losers! I would never want a merger with WN nor would any employee of this company. I was only stating what MIGHT happen now that there is such solidarity among our membership!
You have to think the way THEY do to understand that anything is possible. Didn't mean to stir the pot on this thread.

One free tkt to China?
Did ya tell him it MAY take DAYS to get a seat?

Make your self comfortable in the boarding area...

IBT?
What the hell does the IBT have to do with US or DL?

Customer service representatives at America West are represented by the Teamsters, and their counterparts at US Airways are represented by the CWA, they agreed to form the Airline Customer Service Employee Association, IBT-CWA, to represent the workers.

The leaker in the rumor was a very high ranking national IBT leader .....

You're right though rumors are just that ..... mostly garbage

Time to go buy a new house and new car. Love those rumors.

Doug Parker: "We'll just pay everybody at the highest contract rate of the 3 airlines"

What bothers me most, here is a man with a huge ego and a pile of cash, with access to even more. Sounds a lot like Frank Lorenzo back in the '80's. History does repeat itself.