Just Curious

Elvis

Veteran
Mar 10, 2003
Just curious why Transport Canada doesn't give the same access to A/C incidents that the NTSB web site has for American incidents?

:elvis: :elvis:

You mean the Transportation Safety Board of Canada don't you? Transport Canada does not own that information.

The laws governing access to government information are very different in the two countries.

All accident reports for which the investigation has been completed are in the public domain, and some of them are available on the TSB web site. The rest you can get by asking them for it. They will not discuss ongoing investigations with the public.

As CTD pointed out, the laws are quite different relating to the access to this sort of information.

That being said, there are a number of excellent resources from the FAA and NTSB in the US for accident and incident information:

FAA Office of Accident Investigation - Preliminary Accident and Incident Data

FAA National Aviation Safety Data Analysis Center

NTSB Accident Database & Synopses

In Canada, there is just the TSB site for a database search:

TSB Reports - AIR

Transport Canada - System Safety

CTD,CD : I am aware that on going accident reports are restricted information .
My query was lets say You know an item is for sale and the vendor list a N**** as the last aircraft of installation You look up that # on the NTSB web site and if nothing comes up maybe ok ,but if an incident comes up ??? if the vendor gives a C-**** what can You do?

:elvis: :elvis: :elvis:

As a consumer of helicopter services, I would much rather know the who, what, and where, of particular accidents. I'd like to make my choice based on my decisions on facts as to who I fly with, and if statistics point to a particular operator having a much higher accident rate, or accidents of a particular type, I feel it is in my best interests to protect myself and my employees.
I would much rather see an open book idea than to see the TSB protect the bad apples out there.

CD :I had a look at the TSB reports link, and yes they there are very informative,but they are many months to years after the fact.

With the American format people have limited information within days of the incident, and is learning from the mistakes of others not a good idea?

:elvis: :elvis: :elvis:

Yup, I agree with you Elvis.

You can get more timely information from the TSB publication called Reflexions. It always had a section outlining preliminary information related to recent occurrences. I'm not certain if they're still printing it but it used to be available free of charge. I would suggest contacting them directly to see if they still offer subscriptions:

TSB - Contact Us

Another alternative would be AirSafetyWeek. This publication also publishes preliminary information on a weekly basis, including Canadian incidents:

Aviation Today: Air Safety Week

Latest posts