Kicking Out Your Union

RWU41

Oct 16, 2006
If at least 30 percent of the workers in the bargaining unit sign the petition, then it must be sent to the NLRB's closest regional office, along with a cover sheet, NLRB Form 502. Once the petitions have been received and validated, the NLRB will set a date for the decertification election, usually about 60 days in the future. Individuals on both sides may campaign to sway the employees. When the vote is held, if a majority of the workers who participate favor decertifying the union, or if the vote results in a tie, then the NLRB will officially remove the union's recognition as the bargaining representative of the workers.

If at least 30 percent of the workers in the bargaining unit sign the petition, then it must be sent to the NLRB's closest regional office, along with a cover sheet, NLRB Form 502. Once the petitions have been received and validated, the NLRB will set a date for the decertification election, usually about 60 days in the future. Individuals on both sides may campaign to sway the employees. When the vote is held, if a majority of the workers who participate favor decertifying the union, or if the vote results in a tie, then the NLRB will officially remove the union's recognition as the bargaining representative of the workers.

And just what does this have to do with NWA?

Or for that matter, what does it have to do with ANY airline?

Before you embarass yourself to any greater degree, perhaps you should go back to the NLRB website and educate yourself. Focus on the background section, and you might find this little gem....

The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) administers the principal labor relations law of the United States, the National Labor Relations Act of 1935, as amended, which is generally applied to all enterprises engaged in interstate commerce, including the United States Postal Service, but excluding other governmental entities as well as the railroads and the airline industries. The Agency performs its mission by: (1) conducting secret ballot elections to determine if a group of employees wishes to be represented, for collective bargaining purposes, by a labor organization; (2) adjudicating representation issues if the parties cannot reach agreement; (3) investigating charges of unfair labor practices filed by the public with the Agency; (4) prosecuting, if the parties cannot settle and reach an agreement, those cases of unfair labor practices which the Agency determined to have merit; and (5) adjudicating those unfair labor practice cases which the Agency litigates.

True, but the same process for decertification exists under RLA (and under pretty much the same guidelines, albeit with a different form number and agency responsible for administering the vote).

I'm not as certain, however, if the 30% required would include only those employees currently on payroll within the classification, or if it would also require that members on strike be allowed to vote on decertification.

True, but the same process for decertification exists under RLA (and under pretty much the same guidelines, albeit with a different form number and agency responsible for administering the vote).

"and under pretty much the same guidelines"

NLRB requires over 30% RLA requires over 50%.

So,30% and 50% is "pretty much the same" ???

I guess you can add this to the growing list of things you DONT know about the RLA.

"and under pretty much the same guidelines"
NLRB requires over 30% RLA requires over 50%.

So,30% and 50% is "pretty much the same" ???
I guess you can add this to the growing list of things you DONT know about the RLA.

Whatever. It's more like the list of things I could care less about under the RLA, since I don't supervise airline union employees and probably won't at any point in the near future.

The fact remains that the process is still the same -- get enough cards, and you can decertify -- the difference is in the percentages.

Yes, it's 50% for a represented group and 35% for an unrepresented group. Perversely, the scab mechanics are still considered represented, even though none of them are paying union dues or even the agency fee, and probably they don't have ready access to a union steward if they wanted one.

That said, getting 50% of the scabs to vote to decertify probably wouldn't be too difficult, unless the strikers were also allowed to vote.

Whatever. It's more like the list of things I could care less about under the RLA, since I don't supervise airline union employees and probably won't at any point in the near future.

The fact remains that the process is still the same -- get enough cards, and you can decertify -- the difference is in the percentages.

Yes, it's 50% for a represented group and 35% for an unrepresented group. Perversely, the scab mechanics are still considered represented, even though none of them are paying union dues or even the agency fee, and probably they don't have ready access to a union steward if they wanted one.

That said, getting 50% of the scabs to vote to decertify probably wouldn't be too difficult, unless the strikers were also allowed to vote.

"The fact remains that the process is still the same -- get enough cards, and you can decertify -- the difference is in the percentages."

The process is not the same.

The NLRA requires a petition, the RLA signed cards.

The NLRA requires over 30%, the RLA requires over 50%.

the 35% you mentioned has NOTHING to do with decertification elections it applies to representational elections.

"Whatever. It's more like the list of things I could care less about under the RLA..."

Well since you "could care less" perhaps you should refrain from commenting on the RLA which it is now clear you know next to nothing about. Not only would it spare you the embarrassment of being continually corrected,it would save you the time spent in making pathetic attempts at requalifying your erroneous statements.

:up: Nice cut and paste, can actually understand a post of yours. Not that it has anything to do with nwa but at least people can get a grasp of what the hell it is someone else said. Now go away and take a few courses that you skipped in high school.

"Whatever. It's more like the list of things I could care less about under the RLA..."

Well since you "could care less" perhaps you should refrain from commenting on the RLA which it is now clear you know next to nothing about. Not only would it spare you the embarrassment of being continually corrected,it would save you the time spent in making pathetic attempts at requalifying your erroneous statements.
TSH, what you have here is former AA management and a bias "former moderator" on Planebusiness who knows it all about matters union. He likes to stick his large union worker hating nose where it does not belong. I guess he has the same disease most airline management has.....arrogant superiority complex that continually backfires. Is it any wonder this industry is a friggin' mess??? :down: :down:

Are you always such an ass, or are you just not getting any at the moment?....

Are you always such an ass, or are you just not getting any at the moment?....

You lack sufficient moral character to admit you are wrong, so you resort to childlike insults???

Its no wonder you're a "former" moderator.

Whaaaaa.... Don't like it when you get some of your own style of treatment eh FM??? Sucks when your wrong too.

Cry us a f'in river management clod. :huh: :huh:

Yea, I'd have to say that just about covers it..... :rolleyes:

You lack sufficient moral character to admit you are wrong, so you resort to childlike insults???

Yep. That just about covers it. Admitting you're wrong around here is about as succesful as trying to be diplomatic to a suicide bomber.

But yes, I admit I was wrong about the percentages and the difference between cards and petitions. But you're still responding like an ass, more intent on bashing me than you are responding to the topic.

Its no wonder you're a "former" moderator.

Yep. By choice, I might add, as opposed to those who were outsourced, replaced, or forced out the door due to pay cuts making it impossible to survive.

So, now I get to call things as I see them, and that includes calling you an ass for the way you're responding.

Yep. That just about covers it. Admitting you're wrong around here is about as succesful as trying to be diplomatic to a suicide bomber.

But yes, I admit I was wrong about the percentages and the difference between cards and petitions. But you're still responding like an ass, more intent on bashing me than you are responding to the topic.
Yep. By choice, I might add, as opposed to those who were outsourced, replaced, or forced out the door due to pay cuts making it impossible to survive.

So, now I get to call things as I see them, and that includes calling you an ass for the way you're responding.

Y-A-W-N

I'm oh so sorry if your lack of RLA knowledge has caused you embarassment yet again, but thats your problem.

You mouthed off about something you obviously have little knowledge about, and you got called on it.

YOU WERE WRONG! Grow up or shut up.

Back