Kit aircraft and airplanes

Chocula78

Jun 8, 2006
Allentown, PA
Visit site
I recently started training for my private pilot's license. Althought I have only spent 3 hours in the air, I love it.

I am an engineering student so building my own airplane greatly appeals to me. What's the best way to get into kit aircraft or experimental construction? What books can I read or websites can I surf to learn more?

I recently started training for my private pilot's license. Althought I have only spent 3 hours in the air, I love it.

I am an engineering student so building my own airplane greatly appeals to me. What's the best way to get into kit aircraft or experimental construction? What books can I read or websites can I surf to learn more?
I'd say try searching Google... Fastest search engine I've ever found, and more complete. Good Luck.

I recommend that you first finish getting your Private pilot's license-not the newly created sport pilot either. You need to build some time(experience) in different types of planes and conditions before you start flying experimentals. Remember experimentals are not certified airplanes. Many kitplanes have flying quirks in them that can kill an unsuspecting novice pilot, even experienced pilot's can get bitten by these "quirks". I don't recommend Kitplanes magazine or the EAA magazine as they are bought and paid for by the kitplane industry. I used to suscribe to "sport pilot". They are oriented more towards safety and exposing some of the fraud and bad designs that plague the experimental field. If you decide to go the experimental route, go with a manufactuer that has been around a while(VANS,MURPHY,WAG-AERO,etc.). Some of these kitplanes makers are fly by night operations, here today-gone tommorrow(usually with your money).

I recommend that you first finish getting your Private pilot's license-not the newly created sport pilot either. You need to build some time(experience) in different types of planes and conditions before you start flying experimentals. Many kitplanes have flying quirks in them that can kill an unsuspecting novice pilot, even experienced pilot's can get bitten by these "quirks". I don't recommend Kitplanes magazine or the EAA magazine as they are bought and paid for by the kitplane industry. I used to suscribe to "sport pilot". They are oriented more towards safety and exposing some of the fraud and bad designs that plague the experimental field. If you decide to go the experimental route, go with a manufactuer that has been around a while(VANS,MURPHY,WAG-AERO,etc.). Some of these kitplanes makers are fly by night operations, here today-gone tommorrow(usually with your money).
My Sweet Darling Princess your issues with Experimental Aircraft are a bit over the top. The EAA is a fine organization that is a front line lobbyist for the people to keep the government from totally killing general aviation. They also do a lot to promote aviation to our nations youth. I would also recommend getting your privates as opposed to the sport/recreational rating. However if the sport/recreational rating is enough to accommodate your flying needs that is fine as well. The "newly created" category is nothing to be looked down upon. Do do your research on kit aircraft manufacturers. My beloved Princess has suggested some very fine companies, another worth mentioning though would be Rutan Aircraft. Though I do think that Vans is the way to go. Do not let the Princess' "quirks" discourage you. These "quirks" as she likes to call them are more builder/novice pilot induced rather than design induced. Both easily overcome by attention to detail in following blueprints and training.

My Sweet Darling Princess your issues with Experimental Aircraft are a bit over the top. The EAA is a fine organization that is a front line lobbyist for the people to keep the government from totally killing general aviation. They also do a lot to promote aviation to our nations youth. I would also recommend getting your privates as opposed to the sport/recreational rating. However if the sport/recreational rating is enough to accommodate your flying needs that is fine as well. The "newly created" category is nothing to be looked down upon. Do do your research on kit aircraft manufacturers. My beloved Princess has suggested some very fine companies, another worth mentioning though would be Rutan Aircraft. Though I do think that Vans is the way to go. Do not let the Princess' "quirks" discourage you. These "quirks" as she likes to call them are more builder/novice pilot induced rather than design induced. Both easily overcome by attention to detail in following blueprints and training.

Rutan no longer sells the plans for any of his kit plane designs because of liability concerns. Why is that PTO? Jim Bede,(another one of your heroes,PTO) is one of the biggest frauds in aviation. I wonder if anybody ever got their deposits back on the BD-12,BD-14? There have been many kit plane conpanies that took peoples money and failed leaving the kit builder holding the bag. Venture Mustang,Stewart 51,Thunder Mustang,Prescott Pusher,etc.

I see another Burt Rutan junkyard special blew up today in the Mojave desert. They really want to fly passengers on the Spaceship Two? The lawyers are about to get richer.

Latest posts

Back