Layoffs? Numbers?

bored30over

May 20, 2008
Does anyone have the numbers per division that the 1700 will come from? Our prayers are with you all...

I am especially amused by the one comment by dantheman following that article:

"take the airline industry back 40 years (when it was fun to fly, but everyone paid about 4 times as much, in real dollars, as now"

Hey, you mean just like the price of an automobile! Great business plan!

The public doesn't owe airlines and their workers a high salary. Get used to it.

And I am one of Continental's top revenue customers too.

Good luck!

The public doesn't owe airlines and their workers a high salary. Get used to it.
I bet people expect high safety standards and high service standards! right?

(that doesn't necessarily always come by cheaply...and when a company has highly trained professionals employed..when they have them...its generally a good idea to keep them)

the general public may not owe the airlines anything, except maybe a thank you for safely getting their customers to their destination, safely, ontime and with a focus to details..

sometimes just a thank you to your ground and air crews... can make someone's entire day.

"take the airline industry back 40 years (when it was fun to fly, but everyone paid about 4 times as much, in real dollars, as now"

Good luck!

Top revenue customer? So I guess when you book a plane ticket you buy a full fare first class ticket or a full fare coach ticket and not a discounted fare? I highly doubt that! People who say they bring in the revenue to Continental are typically the people who fly a lot but on discounted fares and then sit and wait in the airport biting there nails waiting for upgrades. When they don't get then, all they do is cry, moan, and groan for the flights duration. The people who bring in our revenue are the people who buy Business First full fare tickets, First Class tickets, and the cargo that goes in the belly of our planes. That's why our flights to China so often go out nearly empty in the back of the plane, the people are not worth more then the cargo on there 700.00 EWR-HKG-EWR fares.

As for the public not oweing us our salary and a fair own at that, you DO and if you don't like it you can simply take a train or bus. If it wasn't for the fact that airlines practically give away seats and in the past, food, liquor, movies, headsets, all for free. We wouldn't be in half the mess we are in. If only we charged what it actually cost to fly a person from A-B, we wouldn't have to lay off more people YET AGAIN.

I'd love for you to make your statement to your next group of Pilots and Cabin crew, and everyone else it takes to get you from A-B in one piece. Instead you make your sad comments to a group of employees that you are not a part of and really have no right to say anything about what is going on in our work enviroment. Learn to mind your own BUSINESS.

The next time Mr. High Revenue hits some bad turbulence I hope he thinks about the salaries he doesn't owe us. Highly trained pilots, mechanics, and flight attendants don't come cheaply. He'll hope he's getting the best his money can buy. It amazes me that people will shop around to save 5 bucks to fly on "dollar store" airline and expect the same service, safety, and schedule as on a legacy. Ignorance. <_<

Good luck!
WE don't need GOOD LUCK!!! Just GOOD Management? I guess you probably Miss Peoples Express? So says GF :up:

Top revenue customer? So I guess when you book a plane ticket you buy a full fare first class ticket or a full fare coach ticket and not a discounted fare? I highly doubt that! People who say they bring in the revenue to Continental are typically the people who fly a lot but on discounted fares and then sit and wait in the airport biting there nails waiting for upgrades. When they don't get then, all they do is cry, moan, and groan for the flights duration. The people who bring in our revenue are the people who buy Business First full fare tickets, First Class tickets, and the cargo that goes in the belly of our planes. That's why our flights to China so often go out nearly empty in the back of the plane, the people are not worth more then the cargo on there 700.00 EWR-HKG-EWR fares.

As for the public not oweing us our salary and a fair own at that, you DO and if you don't like it you can simply take a train or bus. If it wasn't for the fact that airlines practically give away seats and in the past, food, liquor, movies, headsets, all for free. We wouldn't be in half the mess we are in. If only we charged what it actually cost to fly a person from A-B, we wouldn't have to lay off more people YET AGAIN.

I'd love for you to make your statement to your next group of Pilots and Cabin crew, and everyone else it takes to get you from A-B in one piece. Instead you make your sad comments to a group of employees that you are not a part of and really have no right to say anything about what is going on in our work enviroment. Learn to mind your own BUSINESS.
Look who's back!Why are you so anti-passenger? Yes some are a pain in the butt and get no sympathy, but the majority of your posts are so negative and condescending(sp) its a joke. Are you afraid of getting furloughed?Take your anger out on management who repeatedly line their pockets at the expense of employees . Your babbling diatribes serve no one any good and your spelling is sad.BTW,our China flights are quite full in YC.Get a grip and think before you hit enter.

Top revenue customer? ....the cargo that goes in the belly of our planes.

As for the public not oweing us our salary and a fair own at that, you DO and if you don't like it you can simply take a train or bus.

Yeah, a WHOLE lot of cargo. Combine that with our pax spending and you should nice to us.

Also, please re-read my initial post. I never said we don't owe you a salary. Actually I think CO underpays most of their employees. You folks should adopt the WN salary structure.

Adjust the g-string and calm down.

Look who's back!Why are you so anti-passenger? Yes some are a pain in the butt and get no sympathy, but the majority of your posts are so negative and condescending(sp) its a joke. Are you afraid of getting furloughed?Take your anger out on management who repeatedly line their pockets at the expense of employees . Your babbling diatribes serve no one any good and your spelling is sad.BTW,our China flights are quite full in YC.Get a grip and think before you hit enter.

Thats why Continental makes more money on our flights to China, Delta is worrying about the people in coach and Continental is worried about the money it makes from it's belly. No wonder why Continental still puts Delta to shame. Check the Yields, awards, and DOT, you'll get the correct answers, LOL. If I do get furloughed, atleast I will have a company I love to work for to come back to, unlike the hell hole Delta. I guess I should be thankful, if I never left Delta I guess I would still be hitting anyone up and trying to tell them how great it is, much like you do. When really all it is, is a sad, sad, sad, enviroment that rapes it's employees and don't forget passengers whenever it gets the chance.... :rolleyes:

You guys should all go into politics. Your very good at twisting the context of one or two words to make it appear your always right.

As for the 1700 reductions......

There will be probably be very few of these that are actually asked to leave. The company has sent out furlough notices to a large group of employees, from management to the ramp. These are notices that must be sent under the law.

Many of them will take early retirement, leave, job shares, etc. which will mitigate the amount of layoffs to very few.

Thanks borescope for getting this back on topic. Good info. Hopefully no one will be forced out. If you hear anything else about it, please post the update. Thanks again.

Thanks borescope for getting this back on topic. Good info. Hopefully no one will be forced out. If you hear anything else about it, please post the update. Thanks again.

Its contract time and the IBT is trying to organize the baggage handlers, of course they are going to try and create fear by announcing layoffs. AA did the same thing last year, they claimed there would be massive layoffs of aircraft mechanics in the fall of 2008, well the fall of 2008 came and went and they were recalling people in Aircraft maintenance, not laying them off.

Also dont confuse "eliminating jobs" with furloughs. 1700 jobs at CAL is 4.8% of the workforce, I think that on average the industry reduced headcount by around 5% over the last year, most of it through attrition.