ITRADE

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
The Wall Street Journal
Wednesday, June 23, 2004
Page A17

Listen up and you can hear the rivets popping in one of Congress's more counterproductive creations of recent years. Only a failure of political nerve can explain last week's decision by the Air Transportation Stabilization Board not to deny outright United Airlines' bailout petition, close up shop and let the industry get on with shaking itself out. Two members of the bailout board turned down United's request for the second time. But also for the second time, they cast a wisp of hope in front of the carrier that by, say, dotting a few more umlauts it might yet able to avoid the harsher tweaks to its cost structure that a private investor would demand.

This act of muddle, attributed to frantic phone calls from House Speaker Denny Hastert of Chicago, strikes the naked eye as aimed at saving the Bush administration from owning up to a decision to throw United and its 62,500 employees and 27,000 retirees to the hyenas of Wall Street.

CEO Glenn Tilton has done better than many expected in bringing down costs and improving service. It might be a good thing if a few big, old-style airlines were to disappear, but United seems like an unlikely candidate to oblige, with or without a federal bailout. For one thing, it clings to lucrative Asian routes operated under an international cartel that forecloses any Jet Blues from interloping and cutting fares, just the kind of asset that always seems to entice another investor to take a chance.

"Network" and "legacy" are used interchangeably to describe airlines like United, American, Northwest, Delta, US Airways and Continental that operate extensive hub and spoke systems. But to blame hubbing and spoking as the reason these carriers are being eaten alive by low-cost, point-to-point carriers like Southwest, AirTran and Jet Blue is wrong.

"Legacy" is the damning adjective -- a euphemism for being in thrall to a corps of unionized pilots whose contract template (fat pay, short hours) was laid down in the days of federal airline regulation.

Don't bother sending us your cards and letters, pilots. The observation is not meant to denigrate the value of skilled and experienced personnel in the cockpit, but economics is in charge here. Two years ago, Southwest had costs per employee of $59,100, according to industry consultant Vaughn Cordle. The top five legacy carriers averaged $95,500. That's a problem of pay and productivity, not hubs and spokes.

Executives at these airlines recognize as much, but make a habit of saying and perhaps believing that, when it comes to getting costs down to comparable levels, "you can't get there from here" because ruinous strikes would quickly put any carrier that tried out of business. But American Airlines has shown it can be done. The carrier took a pass on seeking bankruptcy protection or a federal bailout and instead addressed employees in tough-minded fashion about the company's survival. Result: Last year it trimmed costs to $73,000 per employee (while Southwest's actually rose to $68,000).

What should be causing beads of sweat on the policymaking community's collective brow is a structural impasse that makes it nearly impossible for failing airlines to die. Blame the bankruptcy courts, international route regulation, foolish antitrust prejudices or misguided investors. Blame Congress, which shouts "oligopoly" at any hint of an airline disappearing. Whatever the culprit, the country's in a bad fix. It has too many network carriers trying to shrink their way to profitability when what we really need are fewer, bigger network airlines. Three such carriers would be plenty and two would probably be enough in a world where regional jets are coming on strong and where low-cost, entrepreneurial operators will show up on any route when money's to be made by undercutting the incumbent.

Until a few weeks back, all involved might have hoped the usual cyclical recovery would mean the industry's overdue restructuring could be postponed once again for somebody else's watch. After all, airlines have a way of appearing in the pink in between recessions, even though the whole industry tends to lose money in the long run. But this time around high fuel prices have intervened to prevent the old-line players from minting even temporary profits, especially given their need to service some $100 billion in debt borrowed to stay alive during the non-shakeout.

Meanwhile, low-cost airlines now account for 29% of the business, up from single digits 15 years ago. They're moving out onto the longer-hop routes (partly because fewer Americans rely on the plane for short trips since the security hassles tipped the balance in favor of driving). Frontier, Southwest and others are even developing what look suspiciously like hubs and spokes.

Still, these carriers will continue to focus mostly on a few hundred well-traveled city pairs that generate hundreds or thousands of direct passengers a day. That leaves the network carriers to provide vital connections between some 38,000 city pairs that each generate fewer than 50 direct passengers a day. But hundreds of passengers from each of these third-tier cities board a plane headed for somewhere each day, and can be collected and dispatched through a hub. That's a genuine strategic advantage to a network carrier, not to mention a boon to a sprawling country that needs air service to tie it together.

This is, by and large, a healthy picture except for one missing element. Failure is a crucial grease in the wheels of a market economy. By taking advantage of the post-9/11 crisis, the bailout board could have somehow overcome our sentimental refusal to let name-brand airlines die. Instead, look where we are now: Three years into a complete industry debacle, in which every major carrier is losing gobs of money, yet not one has bothered to disappear from the earth.

---

Mr. Jenkins edits "Political Diary," the editorial page's daily e-mail newsletter with commentary, analysis and gossip on election-year politics. With John Fund. Subscribe at www.politicaldiary.com.

ITRADE said:
Southwest has costs per employee of $59,100, according to industry consultant Vaughn Cordle. The top five legacy carriers averaged $95,500. That's a problem of pay and productivity, not hubs and spokes.
Actually is NOT the pay. It is the arcahic work rules and productivity that make the big difference. WN pilots on an hour for hour basis make more than a lot of the "Legacy" carriers.

Cost per employee is a meaningless statistic that doesn't take into account the scope of different airlines' operations and, further, doesn't reflect the revenues generated by each employee. Much more meaningful comparative statistics would include the following:

1.) RPMs (or RTMs to reflect cargo and mail) per employee
2.) ASMs/ATMs per employee
3.) Profit per employee
4.) Stage length adjusted yield
5.) Stage length adjusted RASM
6.) Stage length adjusted CASM

When someone puts together this information for the majors and the LCCs, only then can we have a meaningful discussion about the relative financial strengths and weaknesses of each carrier.

Cosmo,

I have flown with V. Cordle and let me be the first to say he is not the person you would want your financial plan done by. Mr. Cordle is a scab that crossed the picket line in 1985. He has lived as an outcast at UAL and in some strange way wants the company to fail. I know this because I have sat beside him for hours on end flying to europe and south america. He will spin any positive UAL news toward the bad.

In fact I was flying with him a few months before our Bk. In that period AA announced that they did not see their employees taking paycuts. Mr. Cordle chided that he also did not see a neccessity for AA cuts. When I laughed out loud he said I did not see the big picture.......Well guess who was right?

Mr. Cordle is the UA version of one USA320CAP that has been known to report in these forums.

The best analogy to his personality is that he acts and talks like Forrest Gump, without all the polish.

Cosmo,
the first three on your list are regularly reported in Aviation Daily and are pretty straight calculations from airline government filings. For each of these three metrics up until a year ago, AA and UA were at the bottom w/ US; CO, DL, and NW; and the LCCs were considerably ahead - usually by a multiplier of 1.5 or more.
Stage length adjusted statistics are more dicey because the revenue environment is so different between international and domestic and it is generally the int'l flights that help bring the legacies costs CASM down. Since the LCCs are moving into long-haul markets (and JetBlue's business model was build around them from the beginning), mileage adjusted comparisons won't be very beneficial for the legacies.

Also remember that airline costs go down (or at least don't go up) as an airline grows. None of the legacy carriers have grown in the past 4 years while the LCCs have grown considerably. The cost difference between the two groups will continue to grow until one or both halves of the equation are changed.

The problem is really everything that is wrapped up in the term legacy - it is senior employees who have built a career (and in some cases retired) under a very different business model. There are significant infrastructure costs such as maintenance and terminal facilities that no airline would ever build today but made lots of sense decades ago. As with many things in the US, people are more comfortable with tearing down or walking away from something established for the sake of going after something new and shiny.

Sadly, there are plenty of analysts who agree that the country needs two or three network carriers at most - certainly not six. As I've expressed elsewhere on this board, some existing legacy carriers will have to abandon the network carrier business model in favor of being a point to point carrier. I personally think United does not have the network strength to be a nationwide competitor (AA and DL do the best job of providing a nationwide transportation system). That's not to say that United's network isn't valuable since it is centered on some of the largest cities in the world. However, the international system needs lots of domestic feed, something which United is shrinking while other carriers are building, putting them in a better position to serve many of those international markets that do not have very high percentages of local traffic. US is trying to lessen its dependence on connecting traffic but it isn't having much success in either finding new markets to fly its existing jets or in getting rid of the "legacy" costs.

It is not a slap at United or its employees to say that United is in a very disadvantaged positon simply because the Darwin principle is still partially at work. United mgmt. made a calculated decision in 2002 to quit borrowing money in order to get concessions. UA employees didn't bite, the government didn't help, and UAL filed for bankruptcy. They have been in a disadvantaged position ever since and it will only get worse as/if other airlines get their costs down and their business plans adjusted.

There are no easy answers but a look at US should be instructive for UA employees. No airline's success is sure but US and UA are facing a much greater battle than any other airline.

I personally think United does not have the network strength to be a nationwide competitor (AA and DL do the best job of providing a nationwide transportation system).
YOU MUST BE fkm!!!!!! :lol: United's strength has been the FACT that they have the BEST global network of ANY carrier. Remember, you can't "shrink to profitability" Instead of shrinking, how about beefing up the international flying and dumping the sloppy seconds? Seeing that no one except the LCC's make any money domestically, isn't it about time one of the legacy carriers turns the domestic flying over to a LCC and concentrates on the international? As for you little slap against "United employees not biting"...every group accepted cuts except mechanics, fyi. I wonder, does it seem more REAL when you type it? Wishful thinking.

Fly said:
Seeing that no one except the LCC's make any money domestically, isn't it about time one of the legacy carriers turns the domestic flying over to a LCC and concentrates on the international?
Sounds an awful lot like Pan Am's (ill-fated) strategy.

Fly,
there were two US airlines once that focused on international flying at the exclusion of domestic. They WERE called Pan Am and TWA. Do you remember that the reason why United bought PA's Pacific routes was because PA could not provide the necessary feed to make them viable? I hope it also doesn't come as too big of a surprise to you but American and Delta are the two largest airlines in terms of their domestic route system. United is already behind the eight ball in the domestic market. You are precisely right...you can't shrink an airline to profitability but that is precisely what United has been doing with its domestic system - you know, the one that is most susceptible to low-cost competition and the one that is needed to support the international network.

Have you missed the news that the US and China just signed a new bilateral that just about allows every major US airline to fly to China over the next 5 years? And are you aware that the US and EU are on about the umpteenth round of negotiations that will provide open skies, opening up LHR to some very much needed competition (you might also note that UA's transatlantic route system is about 1/2 to LHR, about 1/4 to Germany in partnership w/ LH, and the remainder to competitive markets like CDG and AMS). UA has no choice but to fiercely compete in the domestic marketplace in order to support the international route system. American has an almost identical domestic route system to United's and they will take every international passenger that United cannot carry to its gateways if UA shrinks its domestic network.

No, actually, I am not FkY. I'm giving you the hard truth which you don't seem to want to hear -didn't seem to want to hear it in the summer of 2000 or the fall of 2002 when UA said they couldn't afford the pilot salaries being demanded of them. Rather than see who gets the last laugh, I'd prefer to see you guys learn from your mistakes and do what is necessary to pull your airline out of the present nicedive - if that is even possible at this point.

But Fly....the mechanics DID accept cuts....see the IAM actually explained that no means yes....of course in some situations that explaination could send you to prison, BUT not in this one :up:

WorldTraveler said:
I hope it also doesn't come as too big of a surprise to you but American and Delta are the two largest airlines in terms of their domestic route system.
To be fair, I think a domestic comparison between UA and AA in terms of "size" has to take into account the fact that AMR owns Eagle, while all the UAX carriers are independent from UAL Corp. I think if you look at AA + Eagle as one entity, and UA + UAX as another, however, and compare the relative ASMs, the sizes would be much more similar. (Though I could be wrong-- anyone have the numbers?) And I think that is a more valid comparison because the consumer doesn't care who the parent company is of the RJ they are flying out of Missoula, MT-- they only think it is part of either the UA or AA marketing system.

Likewise for DL, I am not as familiar with how their commuter / regional system is set up, but I think that although they may have more flights per day or passenger enplanements, when you look at the UA + UAX ASMs, I would think it approaches DL's numbers.

Unless you are saying ONLY the ABSOLUTE LARGEST airline domestically can survive in the long run? That doesn't make much sense. SW has never been the "largest" by almost any measure but they are doing pretty well. And why arbitrarily say the TWO largest will survive? Why not the THREE largest? Or FOUR?

And anyhoo, why do you care so much about UA?

N421LV said:
Sounds an awful lot like Pan Am's (ill-fated) strategy.
Actually, abandoning domestic flying was not Pan Am's strategy. Their problem was that they had NO domestic feed for their extensive International route system. They bought National Airlines (not exactly the best domestic airline) to provide themselves with a domestic system. Didn't work.

So, Pan Am sold Intercontinental Hotels--which had been like a license to print money--in order to show a profit to the stockholders at the annual meeting.

The next year they sold the Pan Am Building in New York--always fully rented; at the time, one of the most prestige-laden addresses in Manhattan.

After that they had nothing left except the airline. They went under right after that.

Fly said:
YOU MUST BE fkm!!!!!! :lol: United's strength has been the FACT that they have the BEST global network of ANY carrier. Remember, you can't "shrink to profitability"
I have to agree here. United has, or at least has the potential for, the best nationwide network. Every one of its hubs, the exception being DEN, is a large US city suitable for significant international operations as well as considerable O&D traffic, making connections less of a worry. Thier East Coast operations arent that extensive, but an airline that can get you to State College, Bozeman, Wassau and Yuma is quite a network carrier.

US's problem on the other hand, is that it has extensive, even exhaustive coverage of the Eastern US, but through hubs in secondary cities (PHL is an exception, thus the large transatlantic gateway). It has valuable presence, market share and facilities in three major markets (Boston, Washington, and New York) but in perimeter and slot limited airports. The combination of the two systems, by merger or codeshare is the most comprehensive network there could be.

WHAT... United probably has one of the strongest networks of any carrier around. They are the only network (legacy) carrier that has an extensive operation on the west coast. All of the hubs are in geographically advantagous positions in huge cities like Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Dulles. I think that denver is the only United hub where connecters out number the O&D.

Delta owns all of their regionals except skywest, and ACA which they don't use anymore. ComAir, I know is Delta owned, and all of the others I believe are also owned by Delta. That is why their Passenger numbers are so much higher than United's.

Light Years said:
I have to agree here. United has, or at least has the potential for, the best nationwide network.

That is precisely the point. UA has tremendous potential, but most of it is unrealized.

As for the RJ plus mainline comparison, Delta has over 400 RJ's under its control in the US - UA has about 250, a few more than AA. AA generates more ASMs than DL because of its longer haul flying. DL's average aircraft sized domestically is in the 170 seat range (only ATA has a larger domestic hull size) because of their use of 767s domestically. Further, as I've mentioned previously, ORD is effectively capacity restricted limiting UA's ability to grow and, like PIT, DEN is a fairly expensive airport to compete in (not ideal for connecting passengers when airports like DTW, DFW, MSP, and ATL are much cheaper for the airlines that hub there).

One other truth tidbit that will get you really frosted, FLY:
United's international network serves more restricted access routes than any other US airline and UA has done a poorer job of competing in open access countries. As mentioned above, 1/2 of UA's transatlantic system is to LHR which is restricted access (and thus UA's revenue generated ability is protected from competition). Asia has been restricted access for most of the past, either by treaty or by the length of flights which require 747's or a hub either in Asia or on the west coast (both of which UA has; one of which NW has). The 777 now allows AA, CO, and DL to bypass the west coast and an Asian hub. Since the 777 has only been flying the Pacific for the past several years when Asia and world travel has been poor, the competition on the Pacific will only increase. For all practical purposes, most of the top destinations to Asia are open access now (either by treaty or because US carriers are not using their full allotment of rights). Latin America has been open access for most of the past several years (again as much because US carriers are not using all available rights) and United has not done well. United is now 4th to Latin America behind AA, CO, and DL - and the latter two have largely built their route systems on their own rather than through acquisitions.

These facts do not give me much encouragement about UA's ability to compete against LCC and network carriers.