LETS OUTSOURCE SOUTHWEST JOBS!

Isn't this just for the international routes that they'll be picking up from AT? I don't blame SWA for wanting to contract that service out. International service is not only new for SWA but it's so unsure that I would think that they would want to test the water first before committing to hiring full fledged employees outside the US, I mean, what if they are not successful in Costa Rica an decide to pull out. Then, instead of voiding a contract, they'd be repositioning employees from outside the US...

I don't know, but if I had to make that call, I'd want to test the waters first.

Isn't this just for the international routes that they'll be picking up from AT? I don't blame SWA for wanting to contract that service out. International service is not only new for SWA but it's so unsure that I would think that they would want to test the water first before committing to hiring full fledged employees outside the US, I mean, what if they are not successful in Costa Rica an decide to pull out. Then, instead of voiding a contract, they'd be repositioning employees from outside the US...

I don't know, but if I had to make that call, I'd want to test the waters first.

It is a proposal that is tentatively nationwide with the intent to eliminate our overtime

Outsourcing a few stations outside of the USA will just lead to more and more and eventually be in our own yard. Stop the outsourcing all together!!

Outsourcing a few stations outside of the USA will just lead to more and more and eventually be in our own yard. Stop the outsourcing all together!!
FYI, You have to understand that in Int'l Cities, you have to hire those that live there (Natives). You just can't waltz in your own from the US without revolving them in & out within the time limits. Costa Rica is 72 hours every 90 days. You have to leave and come back. Also take this into consideration, Key West (EYW) has two flights a day. Do you think it is wise to hire WN people to work those flights, move in all the Ramp Equipment for the operation or outsource? Another is Branson (BKG), the airport is privately owned and they run their own show. Would it be prudent to hire there as well for a few flights a day? Same goes for Portland (PWM), already outsourced so why go to the expense and lose $? Any city in Mexico has different rules regarding Alcohol & Drug testing. In fact, they do not have an Alcohol Drug testing program like we do here in the US. What they do require is, anyone in a safety sensitive area gets a full blown physical every two years which at that time, you are tested. While I am not a fan of outsourcing, it makes sense to do so if the numbers just don't add up to being profitable.

Ok I see your point. But then they must get it in their contract language that the company can not and will not outsource within the US. And that language needs to be crystal clear on that. There can't be I read it this way and they read it that way.

And about the drug testing, our own ramp agents don't get a drug test unless there is an innocent. The only other time they would get tested is when they hire on. My personal opinion on drug testing is that they(all employees touching aircraft) should be givin random drug/alcohol test just like mechanics and flight crews. So if you use than you lose.

Ok I see your point. But then they must get it in their contract language that the company can not and will not outsource within the US. And that language needs to be crystal clear on that. There can't be I read it this way and they read it that way.
From what I understand, there already is a provision to outsource if there is a limited number of flights that meet the criteria. IIRC it is less than 8 a day but I could be totally wrong here and just got bad info. I will try to get answers when I get back to the office on Monday.

Allow me to reiterate that I don't agree with outsourcing within the US, I forgot to mention that in my post, international locations is to hard to staff and be profitable. I agree with the need for a 3rd party servicer on international routes.

From what I understand, there already is a provision to outsource if there is a limited number of flights that meet the criteria. IIRC it is less than 8 a day but I could be totally wrong here and just got bad info. I will try to get answers when I get back to the office on Monday.

Current Scope (bold text is my doing):

"Should the Company have a need to contract with third parties for the performance of covered work at stations where flight activity does not exceed 12 departures per day, the Company shall be entitled to do so. The Company shall notify the Union of:
a. The nature of the contract; and b. The anticipated length of time the third party work shall be required.
This provision shall not apply to stations in operation as of date of ratification (March 27, 2009)."

The rest of it is here, for those that may want to read it: http://twu555.org/portals/12/PDFfiles/2008-201120CBA.pdf

Outsource the whole ramp because they are our problem with oji and sick outs.

What a great idea! :rolleyes:

[background=rgb(242, 242, 242)]
[email protected], on 23 June 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]

Outsource the whole ramp because they are our problem with oji and sick outs.[/background]

What a great idea! :rolleyes:

As a ramper I am a little upset that this would be said by fellow SW or AT people. I also bet that most of you guys couldn't do our job on a daily basis without bitching about your backs or knees. I encourage anyone to do a "day in the field" ( I'm also sure most don't know what that is) and then come back and say we want to displace the ramp!!!
The ramp sure has changed in many ways and some not for the best but we make up a great group of workers.
2001hdswa when was the last "sick out"?? or the first?? Can you tell me where you get your info? I know we have never had a "sick out" in any of the stations I've worked in.

Back